Mule Deer in trouble

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Got this from Guy Eastman a few minutes ago. Bad news for the already struggling mule deer herds out west:

"More Trouble Ahead for Mule Deer:

“Mule deer and pronghorn are already in poor condition going into this fall and there is simply not much for them to eat on their transition and winter ranges. We anticipate increased mortality in many parts of Wyoming even if we have a mild or normal winter.” –Doug Lutz, Wyoming Game and Fish Department

Based on the information in the latest press release by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department it seems as though the mule deer herds in Wyoming just can’t seem to get a break. Coming off of a brutal 10-year drought, Wyoming experienced a few near normal winters causing the deer herds to make a slight rebound as a result, but this slight uptick was then crushed by the winter of 2010 that decimated the deer herd in some areas by as much as sixty percent. Now it appears like the worst single year drought on record has put our mule deer and antelope herds into a corner where significant losses seem to be inevitable no matter what the winter and spring bring."

These wonderful western deer can't seem to get a break in recent years.

Guy

Mule deer in our region have taken a tremendous hit as well, Guy. Populations are markedly depressed at the present. They never really recovered from the severe winter of 2005. Added to this is dramatically increased growth of predator populations. I chose not to tag a mulie this year; I know of this voluntary decision by several others in this area, as well.

We're currently sitting on a solar activity cycle peak, and the Pacific's El Nino cycle flipped to a La Nina not long ago, which changes the airflow patterns across North America. This combination is what resulted in the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s, and it also explains the current droughts across the middle of the country and the storminess along the eastern seaboard.

The good news is that it's all cyclical, albeit more slowly than we might have patience for. BT

Maybe I'll shoot more bears & coyotes this year instead of another mulie buck. Might be time to give 'em a bit of a break on my own personal level. I have no such love for whitetail though. Pests. Maybe I'll go after one of them this season instead! :wink:

A mountain lion would be awesome too - but I've never managed to shoot one - despite seeing a few over the years.

Guy

The WT herd here in MI suffered a big hit this year due to EHD. Some areas were hit very hard and the harvest reports reflect it.
I hope the WY MD and Antelope fair better than what the reports indicate. I am planning on heading west again this fall to spend some time with my fearless guide and hunt Antelope.

JD338

Man, sounds like lots of herds are in trouble :(

I know that where we hunt elk they're rotting away at the feet, and its spreading like wildfire.

found several herds every day of the season and didnt see any of them with out hoof rot,

SAD!

yellow dog":3jbvseqq said:
Man, sounds like lots of herds are in trouble :(

I know that where we hunt elk they're rotting away at the feet, and its spreading like wildfire.

found several herds every day of the season and didnt see any of them with out hoof rot,

SAD!

With hoof rot in domestic cattle it ussually happens in later summer where they have to walk thru several yards of muck in order to get a drink of water. We cut our hoof rot cases in half just by simply fencing off sloughs and dugouts and pumping water to a central waterer. only draw back is you need power in all the pastures.

So with the drought like conditions alot of the states had this past summer maybe the elk were gettting into muck just to get a drink. As for mulies our area seems to be ok, even after the sensless cwd slaughter and the bad winter of 2010, so far they seem to be doing ok. We have alot of snow, hopefully it does not crust over as in 2010.

We were fairing not to bad in this area but we are having a real bad winter for snow so I believe it is placing stress on our populations as well.

Blessings,
Dan

Back