Scouting Trip

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Well I finished work a bit early in El Paso TX last week and seeings how my boots, pack, trail pants, and binos just happened to be in the truck, I made a pit stop near Cloudcroft NM to look for sheds and get feel for the land. I put in for 2 late season Cow hunts for NM residents ( Dec) and also for 2 rifle season Mule deer hunts.

Did most of my pre scouting with Google maps and landowner maps and this area met my criteria as a good spot:
1. Not many roads around
2. Steep terrain
3. thick cover

I left the truck and within 200 yards up the hill I turned around and caught about 40 elk across the canyon still feeding out in the open at 845am. They must have heard the truck and or saw me as they were headed to the dark timber pretty fast: I caught a few before they vanished.

This really got my blood pumping. I continued on up and there was fresh scat and sign everywhere. I came to a finger/ridge/lookout that seem to be a place that elk like to bed down and watch there backtrack with the rising air current in their noses. I crested the ridge and the smell of elk was overpowering. Their isn't a better smell to an elk hunters nose IMO. They had just been there. I was able to track them in the pine tinder as it looked like a nice sized herd had taken off up the hill.

I came to an old fire road or trail at about 9200 feet and I stopped for a water break. I looked to my right and HOLY BALONEY!!!

I quickly started searching for the other side and after 30 minutes gave up to tie it on to my pack and keep going up. The whole time on the track I kept seeing rubs all over the ridge, and this was some thick country. Perfect 348 country!

When I got to the top I continued over and skirted the ridge top for 200 yards and came back over the top with the wind in my nose and BAM there was the sweet smell of elk in the air. I was able to stalk within 40 yards of the herd in the thick stuff before they decided I was up to no good and they all took off. I was able to get a video of the last cow to finally take off and she passes at about 50 yards into a sweet little 10 yard opening broadside. Not sure how to post vids in photobucket tho. No antlers in the herd but there was one big bull that had a huge body. They tore off parrallel to the ridge and I followed suit.

I was getting short on time, but the elk were headed in the direction of the truck so I figured what the heck. The picture below is the last time I saw that herd as they took off straight down the mountain. The truck is about 1.25 mile down that hill slightly to the right.

Instead of heading straight down I needed to head west a bit to skirt the steep ridge. As I came out of a small bowl and started to head back South, 6 more elk jumped from there beds and walked away. I was really pumped now and all said I made a 3.5 mile loop and gained 1100 feet in elevation. Had a blast!!

When I got home my 5 year old was having a snack and when I showed her the shed she said 2 things:

1. Awesome Daddy!
2. Where's the meat!

Music to my ears.

Sounds as if you may have found your honey hole. Wow! Great report, Pat. I'm with your daughter, "Where's the meat?" :mrgreen:

Never been in that part of the country, but it sure looks like good elk ground. The shed is awesome, too bad on the left side. Perhaps you will find it on your next trip.

Is that down there by Ruidoso? There's a ski resort all the Texans visited went I went to school in Lubbock.

Lol yeah I know and you wouldn't have towns called Levelland and Plainview!

Pat,

Shouldn't this topic be "Finding Trip"

You are in them now! I always wanted to hunt New Mexico but non-resident it is too expensive.

nvbroncrider":3uw4xua7 said:
Is that down there by Ruidoso? There's a ski resort all the Texans visited went I went to school in Lubbock.

Yeah Jake it is a little south of Ruidoso. Are you thinking of Ski Apache? That is a the big skiing spot down there. Lots of elk there as well and big bulls. That unit has the Mescalaro Reservation in it and there are some monsters around there.

Drove through that area a month ago and had the thought, This sure looks like good elk country. Guess I was right. Wife and I liked the looks of the area. Hope you get your tags and are successful.

Back