My 2016 season has started off well

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
My hunting buddy and I drew for a fairly hard to draw rifle elk hunt this year (1 in 6 odds). It opened on the 1st and despite every effort to get out of town on the 28th (which was my birthday) I didn't get to leave until late the 29th. That only left the 30th for scouting as I got up there just before dark on the 29th. The morning of the 30th I rode my dirt bike in on a trail where another guy I know shot a bull that scored 348" a few years before. I heard bulls bugling in 2 different spots along the way and I hiked up away from the trail at the second spot (6.5 miles in from the gate). When I got to the top of the small ridge above the trail I heard 2 bulls bugling. One was really throaty sounding. I backed out because the wind was wrong and I wanted to check another area out. Later that afternoon I rode up another canyon and didn't like it nearly as much as the first.

A little before dark my hunting buddy showed up and we ate a good meal before packing our stuff on our dirt bikes. Just at dark we took off on the 12.4 miles ride to where we set up our tent. We got done setting up camp about a 1/2 mile from where I heard the elk at about 10:15pm. We had just fallen asleep when I huge thunder storm rolled in. That was the loudest thunder I've ever experienced. Some of it was under a second from the time you saw the flash to the time of the boom. It would literally shake you. Not a comfortable feeling in a nylon tent. The lightning and thunder went on until about 2am. When the alarm clock went off at 6:30am it was still raining slightly. We rolled out of bed and hiked the last 1/2 mile from camp to the hill I hiked up the day before. When we got to the top I heard the smaller sounding bull in the same spot but once again the wind was wrong. So we decided to hike up the hill further and see if we could hear the throaty bull. We went about 1/4 mile up the ridge and he responded to my cow calls. Because of the wind we had to hike to the top of the ridge we were on and drop back down into the little draw he was in. I cow called again and he responded. A few more exchanges and I could tell he was coming in. My hunting partner was to my right and I moved to a better shooting lane to the left. BTW it was my hunting partners birthday on that day. Anyway I could see the bulls horns as he came through the thick timber and did the hand signals to my buddy that he was coming. The bull stepped into a shooting lane for me and stopped. I waited for a few seconds to see if my buddy was going to shoot him. The bull started acting a bit nervous not seeing his new love interest so I left him have a 215 Berger from about 70yds. He ran about 50yds out of sight and piled up. I think if I would of had my cow decoy the thing would of ran right up to me.

After all the hooting, hollering, and picture taking the work began. Of course the rain got worse after he hit the dirt. We cut the hind quarters off and packed them down to camp, hung them up, ate a good lunch, and headed back up for the other load. I boned out the front shoulders, back straps and tenderloins. Then I went to cutting meat off of the neck. This was easily the largest elk, body wise, I've ever shot. I took two chunks of meat off of each size of the neck that weighed about 20lbs each. So we had 4 bags of meat, each weighing about 40lbs, and the head/horns to pack out. 1 bag for each front shoulder, 1 with neck meat, and 1 with back straps and tenderloins. My buddy took 3 bags and I took 1 with the head and horns that weighs about 50lbs. By the time we got to camp we were worn out. We got all the meat hung, ate some dinner, and hit the sack. Just as I was falling asleep 2 bulls lit up not far from the tent. The one that sounded bigger had to of been withing 3-400yds of our tent.

The next morning we were greeted with more rain. So we hike around all morning trying to get a bull to respond for my buddy with no luck. Around noon we decided to haul meat to the camper. Since I had the rack on my bike I rode my gear and one bag of meat out to the end of the road to where we could get my buddies UTV. Dropped my stuff and ran back up to get more meat. It took 3 100+lb loads to get it all out and it was getting late in the day so we decided to head to town to wash clothes, eat a warm meal, and get propane for the camper. The next morning I woke up to more hard rain which turned into snow. We had to ride in to get our camp out in the snow and by the time we left there was close to 6" of snow. It kept snowing for most of the next day and a half. We did manage to cut some elk, moose, deer and wolf tracks in the snow yesterday morning but only saw deer and a coyote.

I'm not sure what he will score but he is a 7x7.

Attachments

• 2016bull.jpg
    2016bull.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 2016bulldirtbike.jpg
    2016bulldirtbike.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 2016bullcampsnow.jpg
    2016bullcampsnow.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,383
Nathan that is an awesome bull! Congrats on such a fine animal and for sharing your story of the hunt.

That's a great bull, I would say he will gross at least 340 BC and you earned him, congratulations.

Awesome bull there Nathan!! I love your camp and seeing that KTM sitting there made my heart go pitter patter!

That is my buddies brothers KTM. My buddy usually races a Honda CRF but he wrecked it almost a year ago and busted up his hand pretty bad. He hadn't actually ridden a bike for almost a year to the day of our trip.

I scored the bull myself and came up with 303" after 13" of deductions. Bigger than I thought. If his 2nd's and 3rd's were bigger he probably would of grossed nearly 340". Whatever it is I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to do a European mount on it.

Great account of a fantastic hunt. Super bull you tagged, Nathan! Congratulations.

Thanks Mike. Every time I go hunting with my hunting buddy it seems to turn into some kind of epic adventure. If you knew him you'd understand why but it makes things more fun, exhausting, and rewarding at the same time.

Outstanding, great story and photos. Congratulations on a fine bull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome bull Nathan !
Congratulations.

BTW ? Being from Texas, I have to ask.
What's all the white stuff ? :mrgreen:

Like I said before, it's always an adventure hunting with my buddy. So we were suppose to leave town by 7pm on Friday night. It's a 5+ hour drive to where we take off on the bike. He got off work late, it took us a while to figure out the dirt bike placement on the trailer, he wasn't packed, and he wanted to watch the BSU game. So we leave town at 10:30pm. I only lasted until 12:30 and passed out. At about 2:30 I woke up and he was ready to stop. I told him I'd drive the rest of the way and we got there just after 3:30am. We slept until 6:30am and then got up and packed all our gear on the dirt bikes. We rode the 9 miles to where we camped, dropped our gear, and started hiking. It was pretty late by the time we got to the top of the ridge we were on, and super windy, so we hunkered down and waited for night time. About 5:30-6pm the shadows started getting long on the bottom of the draw we were watching and here comes a spike bull with 5 cows. We watched them for awhile and just after 6:30pm a big bull steps out up high. Earlier an outfitter, that has a camp down below where we were, rode two hunters up into the same draw but across from us. The cow with the big bull knows something is up and takes off. She probably smelled or heard their horses. Anyway there wasn't a shot opportunity.

The next day we hike back up to the same spot and get there much earlier. We did jump some elk on the way up but only saw cows. This time we were on top around 10am and sat there all day hiding from the 20+mph winds. Where we hung out was on the back side of the draw we watched the night before so about 5pm we hike back over and put all our extra clothing on to sit and watch for the rest of the night. My buddy spots 3 bucks bedded down, one of which was about a 20" 4 point. This is the night before deer season fortunately or my buddy might of shot it. We also see a few more little bucks down where the spike bull and cows were the night before. At 6:40pm I asked my buddy if he wanted to start heading back and glass a big basin behind us. He said he wanted to wait it out, which turned out to be the right decision. About 10 minutes later I spot some elk at the edge of the large sage brush clearing. Withing a few minutes there were 20-25 elk and two 6 point bulls. The larger of the two bulls was bugling, chasing the other bull off, and chasing cows. Luckily the wind was almost in line with the elk and us and it was going to be a far shot. We he finally stopped long enough to get a shot my buddy let him have it at 490yds. He ran about 50yds towards the edge of the timber and piled up. Now it's about 6:50 and it's starting to get dark fast. We hustled down to the elk and take some pictures and then the work began. We cut the quarters off and hung them in a tree. My buddy skinned the fronts while I worked on the backstraps, neck meat, and tenderloins. Then I boned out the front shoulders. We stuck the head up in the tree with the hind quarters and loaded our packs. We hiked down to the main trail and dumped our packs. We walked the 2 miles back to our bikes and rode back to retrieve our packs. By the time we got back to camps it was 11:15pm. We got the meat hung, made a fire, and sat down to eat something. I looked at my phone and it was 12:38am. I was wasted and hit the sack. The next morning we were a little slow to rise but we got going and hiked up to get the rest of the meat and horns. I boned out the hind quarters, we divided the meat, and we headed back down the mountain getting back to camp around 11:30am. It took us until 4pm to get all the gear and meat back to the truck. We ate some food at the local dive bar and headed for home. I got home last night at 10pm.

Attachments

• 2016christiansbull.jpg
    2016christiansbull.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 1,256
  • 2016christiansbull2.jpg
    2016christiansbull2.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 1,256
  • 2016christiansbull4.jpg
    2016christiansbull4.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 1,256
Congratulations Nathan, and to your buddy! Honesty I was "liking the KTM" myself, but your story telling was just as cool!

Nathan that was yet another awesome recap of the hunt, felt like I was there. Congrats on another excellent elk. We head out tomorrow morning early for Idaho in hopes we too can connect on some bulls.

We both bought non-resident elk tags again this year. We had to pick a different area because the area we had last year sold out 5 days before we could buy non-resident tags as residents. We will be up there this weekend chasing elk again. It looks like we are going to get some weather for 4 to 5 days starting Friday so it will be interesting hunting a new area. I have another friend that lives in the area and knows it pretty well which helps. I guess I'm getting plenty of exercise hiking and packing out elk if nothing else. It was a bit of bummer to miss opening day of deer season for the first time in over 20 years but my buddy got his elk. He was super pumped to be able to shoot something that far and have full confidence he could hit it.

After we got back to the camp and we were sitting around the fire my buddy says to me "You know we have been in on the killing of 8 elk so far in the last 2 years". I said "actually it's been 10 elk for me". Then I counted the days hunted and we were at 10 days hunted and 8 elk killed between he and I, my dad, and another guy we met and hunted with last year. The 2 other elk were my wife and dad's cows from August this year. That made it 10 elk in 11 days of hunting. Hopefully we get to add to those totals this weekend and in December for our UT cow elk hunt.

My dad, a friend and I just picked up extra elk tags for eastern Idaho where they had a fire burn 75% of the wintering grounds for 3500 elk and 5000 deer. That makes 4 elk tags total and 3 remaining for me :mrgreen: . Now we just need a lot of snow before the 17th of November.

Nathan those were two great hunts!! Congratulations and thank you for the photos as well (y) it sure sounds like you have found a area that really produces.
Again thank you for the posts.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

The area we drew in I had never been to before this season and yes it did produce well. A guy I know shot a bull that scored 348" in there a couple years ago and he gave me the heads up on the drainage we hunted. There is a outfitter in there that shot a bull bigger than mine too. The place we shoot cows does produce quite well also. The other elk we have shot is because we go where no one else wants to go. The bulls we shot last year were a 7 mile hike/pack each day for 3 days to haul them all out. Hopefully I don't have to work that hard for them this year but I will if that is what it takes to get one. My buddy bailed on me for this weekend, something about a silly tennis tournament, so it will mean more trips to pack it out if I get one. Maybe I'll shoot a little one then :lol: .

Back