My 35 Whelen

glock3540

Beginner
May 14, 2006
Finally got to the range with my CDL in 35 Whelen and it's new scope. I ended up going with a Nitrex 3-9. Bought the gun a while back and threw a cheap simmons on it just so I could shoot it until I got a better scope. The Simmons lasted two rounds. The first two shots touched. The next three climbed exacly one inch each shot. It's now in a landfill somewhere. Here's the first three shot group with 59gr RL15 and a 225 Ballistic tip.

IMAG0003.jpg

I then tried 59.5gr of RL15 and the group opened up to over an inch. Stopped at my cousins house on the way home from the range and showed him the target. He said, nice group, too bad they don't make the 225 ballistic tip anymore ( I found two boxes at a gun shop). He walked to his basement, came up with 4 boxes, handed them to me and said to take them. I now have close to 300 of them. That should last a while.

Man, I would bet you are going nearly 2800 with that load! What a shooter. I have the same CDL 35 Whelen and it is ACCURATE! Love the rifle. You hit the nail right on the head with RL15 buddy. Those 225gr BT's would be some devastating on pretty much anything walking. Great shooting. Are you going to try some AB's? Congrats on a great rifle, I love mine! Scotty

Now, that has got to be satisfying. Congratulations on a great rifle and a good group. You're good to go.

glock3540

Nicely done. When you run out of the 225 gr BT, just switch over to the 225 gr AB.
I shot the same load with the 225 gr AB in my M700 Classic 35 Whelen with similar accuracy. I have since switched to the 250 gr PT and the same powder and charge weight and am getting excellent results.

JD338

I'm jealous...

Nice rig and looks like you've found a good load. Ditto about when the BTs run out, the 225gr NAB will easily replace them.

Okay guys I am going to have to stop using the forum for a while :mrgreen: (NOT)
I can't wait to start using the 35. Yesterday I ordered 100 Nosler brass and 4 boxes of 225gr ABs.
I had RCBS dies but gave them to the guy that bought my first 35 whelen. Okay I am open on what make of new dies I should get. I am open for suggestions so lets start hearing them :grin:

Blessings,
Dan

I have RCBS Whelen dies, but if I did it over again, I'd go Redding. Not that I have had ANY issues with the RCBS, I just like the Redding better, but it's a close call. I found RCBS .300 H&H dies at an LGS for a screaming deal, so I bought them rather than the Redding I was planning on.

glock3540":367td8ct said:
The Simmons lasted two rounds. The first two shots touched. The next three climbed exacly one inch each shot. It's now in a landfill somewhere.

You showed remarkable restraint. If that were me, that POS Simmons would have been somewhere between 50 and 75 yards downrange.

sask boy":mg5qgxvy said:
Okay guys I am going to have to stop using the forum for a while :mrgreen: (NOT)
I can't wait to start using the 35. Yesterday I ordered 100 Nosler brass and 4 boxes of 225gr ABs.
I had RCBS dies but gave them to the guy that bought my first 35 whelen. Okay I am open on what make of new dies I should get. I am open for suggestions so lets start hearing them :grin:

Blessings,
Dan

Redding is my first and only choice on dies anymore.

Dan,

I always go Forster as my first choice. Really, I've found no significant difference in quality between RCBS and Redding. Good as the service is with Redding, RCBS excels--even in Canada.

I know Forster doesn't make 35 Whelen dies. However, they are my first check whenever I'm buying dies. Then, RCBS or Redding.

You got yourself a great load, those Ballistic Tips shot well in my Whelen too had no complaints on how they performed on game animals.

Back