My Elephant Gun

lovestohunt

Beginner
May 31, 2012
I've had it in my head for a while now that I wanted a big bad boy caliber....I don't know why since I will more than likely never go to Africa to shoot something that big but hey I wanted one so what more reason than that do I need? After looking at the 375, 416 rigby and 458 lott I decided those were too common and I was asked to look at the 404 jeffery. After reading up on it and its place in African history I decided I wanted one. I started looking for them online but the price being asked for one was enough that I decided I would have one made for me instead of buying one used. I had discussed the project with my gunsmith and had found a donor and was looking for blanks for the stock before I ran into a deal I just couldn't pass up without the year and a half waiting time so i jumped on it. So here is my big boy gun in 404 jeffery. It is a CZ 550 Safari Classic. As i understand it the action is sent over from the Czech Republic where it is custom made here from that point. Please keep a look out for it in the classifieds after I shoot it :)

pix411477213_zpsaun2fnjy.jpg

pix605253625_zpssj00aenm.jpg

pix615698387_zpsaht9jzgt.jpg

pix067512148_zpslyosp0pa.jpg

pix266783620_zpssukxvs8a.jpg

pix720481094_zpsjepnxttn.jpg

pix234166328_zpsykzfucbv.jpg

pix716514179_zpsdqk667qi.jpg

pix227428295_zpslcus2vqg.jpg

pix927722443_zps9bcvyfoa.jpg

pix803339817_zps5rsguspu.jpg

The CZ is certainly a fine action and that will be a great rifle, no doubt. It is a handsome brute. Now, to find an elephant! (I explained to my grandchildren that I finished off the last of the northern rhinos and sabre-toothed frogs after moving north. :grin: It made the country safe for mining and gas exploration. :mrgreen: )

Very nice rifle! Looks really well built. Can't wait to hear about range work!

Oh boy CZ does make some fine rifles. I have never heard of anyone complaining in the accuracy dept. as well.

Great looking rifle!

What a great rifle! Stock looks good. Love the peep sight!

CZ builds one heck of a rifle. I don't know about any of it being made here in the U.S. But I just don't know. I thought they were completely built in Europe.

As a handloader, I'd bet you can build some plinking loads for the range that will be fun to shoot. I enjoy doing that with my .375 rifle.

Don't rule out the possibility of a hunt in Africa someday. Surprisingly affordable. A guy might have to decide between financing a new car or financing a trip to Africa...

Am very much looking forward to your range reports!

Regards, Guy

Oh man, that is really nice.
A classic rifle in a classic chambering.

Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.

JD338

Beautiful rifle, my God Son just bought a CZ 550 in a 375 H&H I believe he said it was a Lux :) he is working up a load using 300gr ABs if anyone has any pet loads? I sure wouldn't mine you sending them our way. Derek advised me that he wants it ready for this Moose season so he has 2 months until it opens. He is have trouble picking up a load information for it.
Do you have a load worked up for the new big boy :). I think that you have a rifle that should not have any trouble with game around the world.

Blessings,
Dan

don't worry, you aren't the only one crazy enough to say "I will probably never hunt an elephant, but...."

my brother-in-law and I had that discussion a week or so ago when he was saying I need to add something like a .223/.22-250 to my collection to give him something else to build and give me something cheaper to shoot, my reply was: "the 280ai does fine on groundhogs, how about a classic dangerous game rifle"

as far as what to load in it, how about some trail boss? show your buddies your great new rifle, take a few shots, then give them some mild loads for their few shots

My nearest thing to an elephant gun is my 9.3x74R. A three hundred grain, .366" solid at 2400 fps.

NumberOne93x74R.jpg

I have an elephant rifle too.
Weatherby Mark V Euro 416 Wby
025.jpg

JD338

Hey, you guys start your own freaking elephant gun threads and stop hijacking mine :)

Seriously, nice sticks guys...

Tico

getting back to your rifle. It is indeed a very nice rifle. The CZ and 404 are both excellent choices and that rifle will serve you well, whether you hunt Elephants in Africa or hogs in Texas.

Woodleigh and Northfork make excellent bullets for that gun and for elephant hunting. However, you see a variety of bullets used in Africa and for the most part it is always a matter of personal preference, and what has worked for someone in the past. A lot of elephants have dropped from a large variety of bullets and calibers, and the 404 and woodleigh combo has accounted for many of them. Congratulations on the addition of your new rifle, enjoy.

Those are some great looking rifles gentlemen :). I sure like to look at them but my 35 Whelen is more than enough for what this old guy is going to shoot :wink:.
Thank you for the photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3rzg9ki8 said:
Those are some great looking rifles gentlemen :). I sure like to look at them but my 35 Whelen is more than enough for what this old guy is going to shoot :wink:.
Thank you for the photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

Hey Bell killed his dumbos with 6.5 7mm and 30-06 solids. The 35 W will do it. This is academic of course.

Back