My son got his biggest buck yet

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
IMG_3210.jpgIMG_3205.jpg
My son was able to bring down this old 8 pt this past weekend with his 243. He was one happy boy and I of course am one proud Dad.

That's awesome. Congratulations to your son on a beautiful buck.

JD338

Congratulations to your son on getting a great deer!

How old is he and what load was he using?

Ron

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

You have every right to be proud of your son's accomplishment. That is a fine buck for anyone, especially a young hunter. Congratulations to the hunter and to the mentor who invested in him.

Beautiful buck and a happy son, how much better can it get!

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son is 7 and he was using his Remington 700 Compact in 243 with a 95gr Winchester Deer Season XP. I like to use hand loads but we have these on hand and they do a great job on deer.
The story... We got to the blind at 3:20 on Friday afternoon. I had my son and my 5 year old daughter with me. At about 3:40 a little doe came into the food plot and fed. After about 10 minutes she ran off. At 3:55 my son said, "Dad there is a buck coming and it is a buck I want to shoot." I told him to get ready and I grabbed my grunt call. I grunted to stop him and when I grunted the buck turned quartering to just a bit. Braden shot and the buck humped up and ran off. He was super excited but I was a bit concerned with the deer's reaction. After 30 minutes we went to the edge of the food plot where the deer ran into the woods to look for blood. We found none and then saw the buck get up out of his bed and run off. My boy was crushed. The most upset I have ever seen him. We immediately went back to the truck, headed home and tried to sleep. The next morning we went to area in which the buck ran and found him relatively quickly. His tears of heartbreak and disappointment the night before turned into screams of joy. As I had suspected the last second turn of the buck put Braden's bullet in the liver. But Braden learned a valuable lesson of backing out and giving the deer the night when you do not have good sign of a hit.

Thank you for the back story! Even better. Sister and dad there! And a recovered deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great. Congratulations to your son and you for a nice buck and recovery. Glad your daughter got in on the hunt as well. Dan.

That is a great lesson for your son. I'm sure he'll remember it well, in no small measure because his dad took time to teah him. Good job, Dad.

Wow! :) Thats quite a story! Doubt there are many 7 year-olds who have shot a 243 much less taken a buck like that. Glad everything turned out well. CL

Recovered the bullet when processing deer. Recovered weight 56.9 grains for 59.8% weight retention. I will post pics in the bullet test section.

Back