My son got his buck.....and a story to tell.

Ashman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2009
My oldest son shot his buck on Nov. 16, in Michigans Upper Peninsula.

A little twist to an otherwise ordinary story...he has only been able to shoot one other buck in all his years of whitetail hunting. He's shot does, he's a good hunter and puts in his time...but a buck just seems to allude him.

About a year ago I bought his 3 year old son (my grandson) his first rifle, thinking it would be nice that he could always say his grandpa bought him his first deer rifle (a Ruger 77 in a .260 Rem) I told my son that when he felt my grandson was mature enough to use it, then give it to him.

My son took it one step further and said that since he (grandson) was only 3, there was gonna be 10-12 years before it would be given to him, so why not add to the sentiment by each of us shooting a deer with that rifle.....and since he didn't have much luck shooting a buck, he should go first that way he'd have at least 10 years to get to that goal...I agreed.

Well it didn't take him long, he connected on the second morning.....then promptly handed the rifle to me and said "It's your turn, glad I got that monkey off my back". I just hope it doesn't take me 10 years to fulfill the rest of that goal. :grin:

007-6.jpg

Congratulations to your son. That is a neat tradition that he has suggested. Come on, Ashman, now the monkey is on your back. A fine looking buck he has there.

Ashman - I think that was a pretty sneaky way for your son to get the use of a brand new hunting rifle! :grin:

Congrats to all. Save photos of this hunt and others, so that your grandson can see the hunting that's already been done with his rifle. Some youngsters really like that kind of stuff, the family tradition and all.

Guy

Ashman,

Very cool. 8)
Congratulations to your son on his first buck. Looks like you have one on the meat pole too from the reflection in the back window of the pick up. Where in the UP are you fellas hunting?

JD338

Looks like you have one on the meat pole too from the reflection in the back window of the pick up.

Good eye, Jim. I hadn't noticed. Looks as if the year has been quite successful.

JD338":qr8jss2m said:
Ashman,

Very cool. 8)
Congratulations to your son on his first buck. Looks like you have one on the meat pole too from the reflection in the back window of the pick up. Where in the UP are you fellas hunting?

JD338

:lol: It's actually his second, but it's been 14 years ago since he got his last/first buck. :lol:

The one hanging on the meat pole (good eye!) is an identical 6 pt. buck that my friends 16 year old son shot.

I use to live in Delta County (Garden) and still have family and friends up there, so we go back up there to hunt. Our "hunting spot" is on the Delta/Schoolcraft county line.

Thats a great gift to give your grandson! I am sure he will cherish hearing the stories that accompany the rifle for the rest of his life. That is a great buck to start the legends with. Congrats! Is there still time for Grandpa to make the first year a double with the new gun?

Congrats. Handing down a rifle with some "history" is a great thing to do. I hope your grandson enjoys hunting as much as you and your son do.

Long

Congrats to you son, and to you for buying your grandson his first rifle. The idea of you and your son both shooting a buck with that rifle is super and I am sure something you grandson will never forget.

Larry

Great story and great shooting. Excellent buck too. All around cool experience. Scotty

Ashman,

I used to hunt N. Delta county, between the E Branch and W Branch of the Whitefish, lots of deer and hunters...
Congratulations to your son on the 6 pt too.

JD338

Congrats to your son it is great to see family hunting together :)
Thank you for the photos:) good luck for the rest of the season.

Blessings,
Dan

Nice buck, nice rifle/cartridge, even cooler tradition you've started there! I love it!

Back