My sons youth rifle.

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
A month ago my 11 year old son and I zeroed his scope.
This rifle is a vanguard s2 7mm08 youth, I just shot it again at 100 yards to confirm zero and it's still good ( he did the shooting the first time ).

So I decided to shoot a milk jug full of water at 168 yards , this is the furthest target I've shot so far.

I put a 2" target on it and my poi was 2" to the left , zeroed 1.5" high at 100.

Do you guys zero for the bull at longer ranges and if you do where does that put at 100 ?

Do you get it tight at 100 and just except what it is at extended ranges ?
What is the method ?

Thanks , Ray

1.5" high at 100yds will put you dead on at 200yds and 6" low at 300 if your using standard velocity ammo. That's probably just right for a youngster. If the shot is under 250yds you aim at center mass which is simpler for new hunters.For most rifles I zero for 200 and use Kentucky windage for further shots. On fast magnums I'll zero at 300 and for a few special rifles I'll use ballistic reticles or a scope that can dial up.

Scott

Thanks Scott, poi was 2" left and the elevation was right in line with the bull at 168 yards, is this what you mean by dead on ?

There was hardly any wind.

We are shooting factory NBts 120 gr.

Ray

Ray,
The left movement could be from shooting a stock that's short for you, wind or any number of factors. At hunting yardages I don't think it will be a factor. If you have the time and availability shoot it at 300-400yds and verify groups.

Scott

muleman":3916qc63 said:
Ray,
The left movement could be from shooting a stock that's short for you, wind or any number of factors. At hunting yardages I don't think it will be a factor. If you have the time and availability shoot it at 300-400yds and verify groups.

Scott
Thanks Scott !

I zero the majority of my centerfire rifles, including the girls' rifles (243, 223), at 200 yards. This puts any of them 1 1/2 to 2 inches high at 100 yards which will work for anything shy of a prairie dog. If I start by getting them in the 2 inch high ballpark at 100 yards I know I'll be "on paper" at 200 but that's about it. You can't assUme that your nice hit at 100 will get you right on at 200. :wink:

Dr. Vette":ac8tio89 said:
I zero the majority of my centerfire rifles, including the girls' rifles (243, 223), at 200 yards. This puts any of them 1 1/2 to 2 inches high at 100 yards which will work for anything shy of a prairie dog. If I start by getting them in the 2 inch high ballpark at 100 yards I know I'll be "on paper" at 200 but that's about it. You can't assUme that your nice hit at 100 will get you right on at 200. :wink:
Thanks Dr. Bette, it was nice to see that jug on the ground and ripped to shreds !

Back