Mystery Powder

old_school_guy

Beginner
Jan 8, 2017
I "unloaded" a 7mm rem mag handload that had 67.0 grs of powder under a 140 gr BT. Can any of you identify this powder? RL 22 maybe since 67.0 is max load for that powder.

Attachments

• _20170116_171013.JPG
    _20170116_171013.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 716
Looks can be deceiving and I wouldn't want to guess by weight because it could be almost any tubular extruded powder.
If these are not your loads and you feel they are unsafe pull and save the bullets but pitch the powder.

That's what I plan on doing. I was hoping I wouldn't have to work up a new load for this Sendero I just aquired. The previous owner is decease so I have no way of knowing what powder it is. Thanks for the reply.

elkhunternm":1dvzltvk said:
Pull the bullets,get rid of the powder along with primers and start fresh.

This! Dump the pulled powder on your flower bed and know what you load.

old_school_guy":2xlyr3i8 said:
That's what I plan on doing. I was hoping I wouldn't have to work up a new load for this Sendero I just aquired. The previous owner is decease so I have no way of knowing what powder it is. Thanks for the reply.

Nice gun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they shoot good. Look at current data for the cartridge. Make your best guess on the powder, then work up to the load. Using the current data for the powder you think it is. Wasting good ammo is not something I will do. I would look at the person who did the load. Was he a dedicated reloader who followed data. Or a crazy with no common sense. Somewhere in between? We as shooters trust Factory ammo, without knowing anything about the powder in them. We trust the data they use. I see no reason to not trust most reloaders. As long as you know a bit about them.

I have been knowing the guy who loaded these bullets for 25 years. He has hand loaded ever since I've knew him and he was very meticulous in everything he done. There is no doubt in my mind that these bullets were the best possible load for the 7mm mag Sendero rifle that he used them in. He passed this Christmas and I acquired the Sendero and these hand loads. His wife let me look in his his building where he loaded and I was unable to find a log book or load journal. I've been hand loading for years myself and can work up a new load with no problem. I was just trying to save myself the time and trouble of doing so by identifying the powder in these cases. I will just start from scratch like a few of you have recommended. I appreciate all of the replies.

I would shoot them and get some speeds to work from before going on a load hunt. If you work up MRP or RL 22 back to the same speed bet you will be close on charge and accuracy node still be there.

Record OAL as well, no need to test seating depths if you already have it! Shoot em

Back