Neck Sizing Dies

PGJPJ

Beginner
Oct 17, 2007
Anyone use these? I’m considering ordering some from Cabalas (RCBS). I’ve been full length sizing, but I’ve been doing a lot of trimming. I’d like to extend the case life for my 300 win and 270 win. Maybe get a bit better accuracy out of fire formed brass as well.

Opinions?

Oh, and these are both bolt action rifles.

Thanks!

For bolt guns, I use neck dies and then occasionally do a "partial Full Length resize" to bump the shoulder back when necessary. They may not make things more accurate, but brass life should be a lot longer, and you likely won't have to trim as much.

dubyam":1hcthc12 said:
For bolt guns, I use neck dies and then occasionally do a 'partial Full Length resize" to bump the shoulder back when necessary. They may not make things more accurate, but brass life should be a lot longer, and you likely won't have to trim as much.

I too neck size on occasion, I prefer Lee collet dies but there is nothing wrong with RCBS, Redding, etc.

I find runout to be better on average with full lenght sizing though, and like to minimally FL size my brass more then neck size.

Run a search and you should come up with a few threads on it. Case life is good and you don`t need a different die.

My first one is full size, after that its neck size. I will do a full size again when needed, if not its neck size.

I do like neck sizing... If you get neck sizing dies, strongly consider getting dies with bushings that can be changed out. It's nice to be able to tailor exactly the amount of neck tension you want.

One of my favorite things about neck sizing dies is the complete lack of an expander ball. Those danged things sure seem to stretch a case neck!

Much of my neck sizing is done with Wilson dies and a little arbor press, but I also neck size on my RCBS Rockchucker w/Redding and RCBS dies.

Regards, Guy

Yep, neck sizing is the way forward if you aren't interchanging the loads in other guns.

Back