Neck Tension

mtwarych

Beginner
Sep 2, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a good friend who is having problems with his triple deuce.

I feel his neck tension is way too high.

Is there a "standard" neck tension?

I mean is a thou or two about right?

The man recently purchased a very expensive set of dies and the rifles accuracy went to heck. The new dies are ringing the slugs and the old RCBS dies didn't do that.

Any help is appreciated.

JW
Semper Fi

JW it sounds like maybe your friend has the seating die set too low in that it is seating and crimping the bullet simultaneously, which in my experience is a "no-no."

Crimp is seldom necessary, unless using an autoloader or a tube magazine lever action.

I would try backing the die off two or three turns and then adjusting the bullet seating stem downwards until you see that "Ringing of the slug" go away.

Triple deuce rifles are tack drivers by nature, hopefully this remedies the issue you're seeing.

Good luck -

Dale

I use a bushing that's 2 thousandths smaller than a loaded round, but 1 thousandth would probably be fine. I use the extra because they're hunting rounds.

But the simplest solution is to go back to the RCBS dies...

JW - It may not be the problem but is definitely worth looking into. I had an RCBS die set (.223 Rem) that I had a heck of a time getting to the "sweet spot." It was so bad that the simultaneous crimp/seat action was also crumpling the shoulders slightly.

Good luck!

Dale

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the information.
I will work on the ideas that have been posted.
If any more ideas come up, please post them up for me.
I will post what I find out.
Gentlemen, Thank you.

I found out Roger, my friend, uses a bushing type set up without an expander ball.
I am not familiar with that type of re-sizing.
Should an expander be used in conjunction with the bushing?
Should Roger use a different bushing?
The targets I have seen pre-new dies are pretty impressive.
The triple deuce is accurate. Thank you all. I appreciate the help.

I don't use an expander with bushings. I use a decapper die to decap, then I use the bushing to size. No reason to expand the neck if you don't use a bushing that's too small.

Back