Need a .243 Win

Tom1911

Beginner
Dec 29, 2005
I have a .223 Rem, which is a damn good gun. However, I am thinking of selling it and getting a .243 Win. With it, I can hunt varmints and use it for mule deer. Most importantly, it can be my son's first deer rifle. I am thinking about a Sako, and now that the Sako 85 has been intoduced I'm hoping I can find a deal on a Sako 75. Anyone have a Salo 75 in .243 Win?

If I don't get a Sako, what other rifle should I buy?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi ya Tom1911, I am sure you are looking for a bolt action but I have 2 Savage 99's. One of them is a .243 that belonged to my Dad & is my sons first deer rifle. There is nothing inherintly great about this rifle but it is short, heavy enough that there is almost no recoil & easy to operate. I don't know if it is chambered in a .243 but have you looked at the Remington model 7 CDL ?

Looking for ideas? Ruger Compact, only 20 inch barrell, small and lite. Another way to ge may be the Tika T3 Lite, just a hair over 6 pounds...

Good luck..

For the money, I don't think you can buy a more accurate rifle "out of the box" than a Savage or Stevens. The Stevens 200 in 243 Win sells for under $300 in most places, (even as low as $235 if you shop around). I have a Stevens 200 in 308 that will shoot under .75 MOA all day and has done as low as .092" once. (I will be reproducing that load :grin: ).

The Stevens may not be as pretty as a Sako, but I bet it will shoot as good or better for a lot less money. Just something else to consider.

Blaine

I have a nice Tikka (pre T-3) whitetail hunter that my oldest started with. He then acquired a Sako in 30-06. I have been contemplating selling it for a larger caliber for son #2. Perhaps a Sako in 308. But I have not heard that Sako is going to clearance the 75's. They are a different style and have their own following. Of course if one or the other outsells . . . . no telling which one will stay.

Long

I have a Savage 110 in .243Win. and it's always been a very accurate rifle for a sporter. Sako is an excellent rifle, but it's going to cost you a few coins. What do you think about Remington? The new model CDL should be quite accurate. Take your time and ask around some more until you feel good about your selection. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I'm jumping in on this a little late (been out of pocket for awhile) but my recommendation would be a CZ 550 Full Stock (FS). I own one and it is winning favor over many of my other guns. It didn't break the bank, is highly accurate, sufficiently heavy that recoil is not a problem, it's just plain cool to look at, and has a very high fondle factor.

Vel my girlfrend got one, a Finnligth shoots realy good. A good frend got the same mod. Shoots groops ca 1/2 moa. I realy like the Sakos, got 2 my self. Shoot a tikka t3 for som time in 243. nice gun shoot good.

Tom,

Have you considered the 7m-08. I would think it is a better caliber for big game and it can be loaded light for varmints.

Long

Hey Tom1911,

I just purchased a very lightly used-mint shape Sako m75SS 243 in mid May. Went out to the range in late May, mounted the Leupold VX2 4-12x40 Scope with LR duplex in Sako optilock rings & bases at the range that evening. I found only 1 box of 243 intown-80gr. Federal ammo. I took 1 shot to see where I hit paper @ 100yrds, 3 more to dial in. The rifle then shot close to 1/2" groups. I Could not believe it. To say the least, I'm very happy especially for the price. Can't wait to reload Ballistic Silvertips in 55 and 95gr, also bought a box of Hornady V-max moly coated 65gr. This rifle will be used mostly for predators. Just got to find some good powders (H414/Varget/H380/H4850 is what I just bought in the experimental PKG) Plus, my first child-a BOY was born in early June, so now this will be his first rifle for deer. :grin: :grin: or thats what I'll tell my wife...lol

I have 1 other Sako m75 SS rifle, a 300WM, and so does my hunting buddy purchased new in 1997-AWESOME RIFLES, beautiful craftmanship, great shooters. To this day, I have just reset my zero on the scope (Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x40) with Sako Optilock Rings & Bases for the first time on the same outing with the 243 as I gotten into the reloading last year, and want to dial her in now!

If not a Sako in either a SS or the new Grey Wolf (LS model), I will suggest a Tikka T3 in Laminate Stainless of in the Varmint Stainless HB. I have 2 T3 LS in 270WSM-the wifle took over the first one so I got another. Another buddy has 1 T3 LS in 300WSM, 1 T3 in Varmint Stainless 22-250 and a T# Tactical in 223....All great shooters. Silky smooth actions. I almost got the HB in 243, but then found the used Sako m75.

You will never go wrong with the SAKO, but if you want to save some $$$, go TIKKA.

Good luck.

hi tom i have a sako 75 in 243 it is a great rifle. It looks great handles great and groups great. It is a standard 75 with a normal weight barrel the groups do start to open up after about 4 shots but i have shot a lot of deer here in england with it out to 250 yards in the head.Buy one you wont regreat your purchase.

SAko 75 is very nice. Another good choice is the Remington M7.
243 Win is a good caliber, others to consider would be 260 Rem
and 7mm-08 Rem.

JD338

Bought a Savage Stainless Synthetic in .243 with the Accutrigger. Savage ugly but a great shooter...3 shot 1/2 inch with certain handloads and 100 gr bullets. Haven't tried lighter bullets. Savage really got their act together in recent years. This is the second one I've bought lately and both shoot fantastic.

Sako's rock..that is all there is to it. However if that does not work out for you look at the Savages. They shoot lights out!

I have a 243 Sako Forrester . The rifle is a beauty and shoots the Sierra 100 grain very well. Love the rifle. The finish and fit have no comparison for a factory gun, except of course my 223 Kimber Model 82.

Hi Tom,
My first deer rifle was a cut-down British .303 No.4 MkI. I was young and did not need a scope and the Brit. .303 anchored deer. Then in 1968 Wife gave me a Ruger 77 in .243Win. for Christmas. Save for neck shots, every deer that I hit (heart/lung shots) ran 100 yds. or more. This, with 100 gr. factory loads! Some swear by the .243Win for deer. I do not.
My choice would be the 7mm-08, as a light recoiling, light to carry deer rifle that would be great for a young person to use as a first deer rifle. If you like history and nostalgia, you would not go wrong with a light weight rifle in 7mmMauser. I have come to believe that the 7mm bullet flies as good as any and better than most. Look at the Ballistics Tables and you will see that up to the 175 gr. bullet the 7mm is best.

Shop your local Wal-Marts. I just picked one up tonight for $299 (a Remington 700 ADL with the 22" barrel and synthetic stock. It was a display model they had on close-out.

I did my standard new gun drill - cleaned and polished the bore, wiped down all exterior metal with corrosion-X, oiled the bore with Break Free. I picked up 40 rounds of Remington Express Core Lokt 100gr ammo and will go out tomorrow to break it in.

Now I'm looking for suggestions for 55gr, 70gr and 100gr loads. Primarily to be used for target shooting, but I'm looking for opportunities to go varmint hunting here in NH.

Nothing onhand for the lighter weights, but in 80-85gr and 100gr, check out the Accurate Powders data for their MagPro powder. They are showing about 3200fps I believe, with the 100gr pill. Not bad for a little short action. And hey, great deal on that ADL. I may have to be back in WalMart after Christmas to see what they have one sale.

mdw442 wrote : "Now I'm looking for suggestions for 55gr, 70gr and 100gr loads."

You got a gread deal on the ADL.
70gr. Sierra HPBT seemed to buck the wind best in my .243Win. My tightest groups were using 39gr. of IMR4064 producing 3320fps MV. A killer on groundhogs and PDs. The Speer 70gr. TNT worked as well.
For my 100gr. bullet deer load, I used Sierra Game Kings pushed by 36gr. of IMR4064.
While I was working up loads, I also had good results using IMR4350. One load that worked well on calm windless days was 41gr. of IMR4350 behind a 58gr V-Max.
As always begin loads low and work up. Your mileage may vary.

I have 243 in model 7 this a custom gun to make along story short 243 with 95gr x bullets over 45 RL22 and broad side shots or proper bullet placement strikes like lighting 4 bucks over 4 years all to one shot range frome 85yrds to 300 yrds . also you can make it a switch barrel to 7m08 ,308, 358 or 22 1/2 depends on how deep your pocks are mine is 243 and 308 next year may be a 358 good luck on your chioce of gun.

Back