Need a new reloading press-

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Hey guys-I need to get me a new press, just a single stage is fine. You all are wealth of knowledge. I keep looking at the RCBS Rock chucker, Hornady, Lyman crusher, Redding and the the Lee classic cast. What do you think or whats your experience with any. Would like to spend 100-150.
Thanks

rmarshall,
I use and like very much the Hornaday - the bushing system allows very quick die changes and been very reliable.

Scott

Get an arbor press! 8)

In all seriousness, I would lean towards the die I used the most. That way you're using the dies and press that are theoretically matched.

With that said, I believe there's still going to be some play in the die / press mating, and some play in the shellholder.

My press is a Lee Classic Cast, and it's solid for me. I never feel like I don't have enough leverage. I like the primer dispensing system, as they go down a tube and end up in a trash can. It's smooth. Fit and finish is pretty good, though definitely not "pretty".

If I were to start over, I'd likely get a Redding Big Boss. But I use a lot of Redding dies. I started with Lee dies, and started with a Lee press.

I was thinking of replacing mine and it is a rockchucker supreme it a real good press but if I was going to buy another one today it would be Forster:)

Blessings,
Dan

thanks for suggestions so far, i use RCBS dies. Don't want to have to replace them if i don't have too. Keep the suggestions coming. thanks

Any of the presses you name will work for you. The dies will interchange between the various presses. I don't believe any of those particular presses will let your down. I've had or have three RCBS Rock Chuckers, one RCBS Partner, a Redding T7 and a Forster Co-Ax. All have served me well. Each of them will serve your needs. I'd likely buy the one that was most economical and that one that had a footprint to match the space I have allocated for it.

I run just the Hornady single stage and love how well the bushings work. I've routinely pulled out dies, replaced them, then went back and had zero adjustment to have the die ready to roll.

For what it may be worth, I have used a RCBS Rockchucker for 40 years. Can't destroy them, no matter what.

I started out on an RCBS Partner press, and loaded an obscene amount of ammo on it. It would still be working just fine, except I was given a Rock Chucker, then had a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket and bought a Redding T7. One thing about my Redding (and I think the Big Boss) is the spent primer handling... they drop into a tube to be disposed of later. The RC has a tray that in my limited usage, doesn't do a spectacular job of getting all the spent primers.

No experience with any other single stage presses.

I do love my T7 though...

Can't go wrong with an RCBS Rockchucker. I am still using mine and it works just like it did over 30 years ago when I got it: great! Of course, some of the volume duties were relieved by the Dillon RL-550B, but I have loaded a ton of rifle ammo for various cartridges over the years. Still load some pretty good volumes of .223 Varmint ammo on it.

I'm using an RCBS Reloader Special-5, which is a slightly smaller press in the quartering design of the Redding Boss and Big Boss. I've come to really like that design, where the "O" of the frame is not directly perpendicular to the bench mount. Anyway, my little RS-5 is ticking away after almost 20yrs and several thousand rounds of handgun and rifle ammo loaded on it. At one time, when I was loading ball powder in handgun cartridges, I got to where I could start with clean 357Mag cases, and resize, deprime, charge (with a Hornady Powder Measure throwing charges), and seat about 100 rounds per hour. I'm nowhere near that fast with rifle rounds these days. The only thing I can caution you to check is the ram stroke and opening of the press you buy. My little RS-5 is just a tad shorter than I'd like it to be. It's fine for standard length rounds (though I have to put the bullet in after seating the case, but that's because I use Hornady dies which have the drop down guide sleeve) but for my 300Wby it's a little tight when I'm working on seating. It will do the job, but I have to be careful inserting the cases full of powder. So, find a press with a wide opening and solid construction. Any of the major names will do.

I'll also go against the grain a bit and say that I don't care for Redding products. I've bought two sets of their dies new, and had problems with both that should have been caught in QC. I looked at some of their presses a while back when I thought I'd get a second press, and the fit/finish just didn't seem up to the level of RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady. Everybody loves Redding, but I don't.

Get the Ultramag. You're gonna need the room for loading those long cartridge.

DSC01827.jpg

Call me a Forster guy all the way. They work and work well with all of the other dies. It is probably the single best press I have used. I have a RCBS Partner I use for bullet pulling. It primes and does all of the other functions well, plus, it changes out dies quick and has TONS of leverage. No shellholders either. Can't say enough good about it.

I have a RCBS rock chuck supreme if I wanted better it would be the Reddington boss with the spent primer tube.

OK I have to ask this, whats up with having to buy extra quick change bushings for every die? I have 19 dies total and thats not ever gonna happen. The loc-ring works just fine on my hornady (the best), reddington (needs a brass set screw), and the RBSC dies.

It takes less than 30 seconds to change from one die to the next may be only 20 seconds. Seems like a gimic to me.

...there's a Rockchucker & a Partner press, pretty good prices on SPS...

...Rockchucker for big cases, forming, anything that will require leverage, I actually like my Partner for smaller cases, pistol, etc. not so far for the pedestal to run...

Back