Need some suggestions ??

jr1968

Beginner
May 20, 2007
My brother is going to buy a new rifle, but can't decide on a 270 or a
25-06. He will be using it for WT deer. Range will be 0-200 yards.
So I thought you guy's could give us your opinions?

Thanks

jr1968

270 will take care of deer and up to elk and can be loaded to shoot varmints and predators.
25-06 willtake care of predators, varmints and deer.

I would go with the 270

I personally think the 270 offers better utility than the 25-06, as it can be used for varmints (though 50-100 shots over a PD town would be brutal), but it is well suited for bigger game, such as white-tails and mule deer. I notice you are in NY, so perhaps you brother is as well? That might open up black bear as a future possibility, which would also be in the 270's column, rather than the 25-06. Don't get me wrong, the 25 is a great caliber, and will take white-tails at the distances you mentioned with great surety and slightly less recoil, but the 270 is ultimately not much more gun, but enough more (with 30gr more bullet weight) to make it a better all around choice in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I have owned neither caliber, but if I had to choose I would go with the .270 also. More versatile, the 130 grain bullet will put the smack down on a deer, and you can't argue with Jack :grin:

and you can't argue with Jack
Elmer sure did!

I love my .270 though it is my favorite rifle to hunt with. I really don't bother trying weights below 130 anymore. 130 grain will take out all my varmints, pronghorn, and deer I hunt. I used 150 grain Nosler Partitions on all the elk I've shot with the .270. I'm starting some load development with the 160 grain Partition soon, we will see how my rifle likes them.

If all you are hunting is deer it really will not make a difference with what your brother buys. Tell him to buy the one that fits him the best. I'm going to have both caliber of rifles soon hopefully.

jr1968

Either the 25-06 or the 270 Win will work well on deer out to 500 yds with ease. The advantage goes to the 270 with heavier bullets.
As mentioned earlier, if larger game may be involved, your brother may also want to consider the 280 Rem. There is a huge offering of 7mm bullets from varmints to moose. Just a thought.......

JD338

Since this is the reloading forum, does this mean that he will be reloading the cartridge? If so, I would tell him to get a 6.5x55mm. Out to 200yds., with the proper bullet, what CAN'T the old Swede smoke?

Jim

If your brother is just going to hunt deer then the 25 06 will work just fine but if he changes his mind and wants to hunt bigger game then he should go with the 270.

I will start with not owning either one of these as well. Sorry to get off subject, but I'll combine two of the previous posts.
+1 For JD with the .280 as the bullet offering for the 7mm's is huge.
Another plus for the 6.5 as this round carries very well.

Have owned both calibers and the 280 but now hunt mostly with the Father of all those, 30/06. You can't go wrong with any of the afore mentioned rounds.Rick.

jr1968":1nafkj2y said:
My brother is going to buy a new rifle, but can't decide on a 270 or a
25-06. He will be using it for WT deer. Range will be 0-200 yards.
So I thought you guy's could give us your opinions?

Thanks

jr1968

toss a coin, either will do.

Hi jr1968, I have been shooting the win 270 for over 35 years and the only grain of bullet I have shot is the 130. I have shot a number of moose here in Saskatchewan and this Dec. I am going to be using it on Elk for the first time as I normally used a 375 H & H for them but have since sold it.
For deer I have used a number of different bullet but for Moose & Elk I will only use paritions. I will be looking at the Accubonds as both my hunting partners have loaded 7mm mags with 160 accubonds so I am anxious to see how they perform.

I have both, but of all my gun’s for hunting the 270’s get shot the most loaded with 130g Ballistic Silver Tips I have taken many a whitetail over the years along with other game from Coyotes to Elk. I am sure it has something to do with it was my first center fire I purchase myself when I was a teenage and worked all summer cutting hay to buy that Remington 700 BDL 270 at the Whites Autoparts store in town……too long ago to talk about. I think I paid 165.00 for it. The only other advantage I give the 270 is ammo. Next to a 30-30 and 30-06 you can find 270 ammo just about any place.

He will not be disappointed with either one.

JD was reading my mind,
if you are planning to reload it or just want a wider variety in bullets get a 280 Rem. It's a wonderful round.
I have been reading up on 6.5 Swede as well, and it's a very capable round and has been used on almost all North American game and numerous African hunts as well, plus the recoil is supposed to be very pleasant. It the gun I am planning to start my son on next deer season.

Too many choices out there, not enough time or money to shoot them all...

Read in a magazine that Elmer actually like the 7mm rem mag best, but since he had already been coined a lover of the 270 he left it that way.

Back