Never owned a 7mm Mag - not sure I will

I had one back in the early 90’s, a Rem 700, and liked it well enough, traded it for some body work on an old CJ-7. I load for 2 now and for some reason never replaced the one I traded. I was seriously considering buying one since I already had the dies and accessories for loading, but ended up finding a deal on a 280 Ackley I couldn’t walk away from. Still though, wouldn’t mine owing one.

Interesting! Years ago, when I was overseas I wrote to Bill Steigers of Bitterroot Bonded Core bullets fame. He recommended a 7mm Rem Mag for most game, and a 338 Win Mag for elk, moose & big bear. Seemed like a great combination to me. :) I never did buy a 338, but that could still happen.

I was impressed that he took the time to answer my handwritten letter sent from Okinawa.

Regards, Guy
Holy smokes! Never knew that tidbit. I remember speaking with Bill on the phone, while he was fully into his 90's at that point and remember how much he liked the big 7's. He was one of the ones that nudged me into my first Mashburn Super, that I built on my first big game rifle, a M70 XTR 7mm Rem Mag. Man, I took so much stuff with that rifle as a 7 Rem and a decent amount when it was a Mashburn. It is still in my hunting family and I run a Mashburn, but also have a nice Len Brownell built 7mm Rem Mag that I'd like to hunt this year, I could have stopped getting rifles after the first 7 Rem, it works great and has only gotten better with age.

With a 7 WSM, Mashburn Super and a Rem Mag, I guess you could say it's a favorite of mine. I think a fella with a well set up 7 Rem Mag is so far ahead of the rest of loonies who search for perfect.

I used a Mod 700 BDL 7MM RM most for about 10yrs. It loved the 140 NBT and the 150 PT. I "almost" had it reamed out to the 7mm/300WBY but its 24" barrel changed my mind. I always wanted a 7mm Super Mashburn, but somehow got too busy with the STW and the RUM and by then I was jaded, ha. I've owned several more 7mm Rem Mags through the years, stepped up to including two 7mm STW ( one a Mod 700 Sendero and another a Mod 70 Classic Sporter, both preferred the 140 NBT BTW. I also ran a Custom Mod 722 converted to 7mm RUM awhile. It preferred the 140 TTSX.

I personally feel the 30-06 with 200gr ( or similar) is as good an elk (heavy game) killer as any 7mm Mag. But, to me, the 7mm balances better with the 160gr, and for reaching out on the prairies, or BeanField, they are pure poison. Thats where the weight/bulk of that Sendero pays off! ha
"IF" I get tired or disappointed with the 7x57 I'm having made up with a 26" barrel, it will become a 280 Ackley which will work as well as a Magnum for my style of hunting anymore. Out here in Utah, the 7mm Rem Mag is still very, very popular.

My experience with a 7MM Rem. Mag. is extremely short and and even more thin. One day at a gun show I was talking with a vender who had two Ruger #1 B rifles on his table. One was a 25-06 and the other a 7MM Rem. Mag. Both has decent wood and I was trying to get the 25-06 dickered down to a price more to my liking. I was about ready to call it quits when I asked, "Would you take $1,100 for the pair?" He said, "1,200!" and I said "DONE!" I'd been trying to get him to take $700 for the 25-06 so it looks like I got the 7MM for $500 as a bonus. I put scopes on both, loaded up a few rounds and took them to the range. No load work up, just wanting to get a fel of the two rifles. The 25-06did about two inches IIRC, not bad for just a bore sighting and the 7MM Rem. about 2.5" and a bit high and to the right. It's been a few years since I got them. Anyway, you now know the full extent of my experience with a 7MM Rem. Mag. I should round up a decent brass supply and see what the old girl can really do.
Paul B.

My experience with a 7MM Rem. Mag. is extremely short and and even more thin. One day at a gun show I was talking with a vender who had two Ruger #1 B rifles on his table. One was a 25-06 and the other a 7MM Rem. Mag. Both has decent wood and I was trying to get the 25-06 dickered down to a price more to my liking. I was about ready to call it quits when I asked, "Would you take $1,100 for the pair?" He said, "1,200!" and I said "DONE!" I'd been trying to get him to take $700 for the 25-06 so it looks like I got the 7MM for $500 as a bonus. I put scopes on both, loaded up a few rounds and took them to the range. No load work up, just wanting to get a fel of the two rifles. The 25-06did about two inches IIRC, not bad for just a bore sighting and the 7MM Rem. about 2.5" and a bit high and to the right. It's been a few years since I got them. Anyway, you now know the full extent of my experience with a 7MM Rem. Mag. I should round up a decent brass supply and see what the old girl can really do.
Paul B.
Yes you should Paul. Dang, that’s a heckuva deal.

I have used several 7mm Rem. Mags. over the years on whitetails, mulies, many elk, black bears, one grizzly bear, antelope, and sheep with great success. Accurate, manageable recoil, flat shooting and hard hitting—very deadly with the right bullet. I am a huge .338 Win. Mag. fan, but I really don’t know how much it has on the Big 7 when I compare DRT results between the two. It’s really all you need for about 95% of the world’s hunting. It truly comes into its own with good handloads (there are some gun writers who knock it so excessively that it makes me question their credibility on other things—don’t listen to it). I will probably reach for one on my next tough hunt.

Back