Never owned a 7mm Mag - not sure I will

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
Over the years, like many other, I have owned a lot of rifles in a variety of calibers. Some of the rifles have changed, but there has been some consistency in calibers.

But never a rifle in 7 mm mag, not even briefly. I recognize the ballistics are great for a do all rifle.

Now days, my 280AI fills the ballistic niche of the 7 mag. Have a nice load for the 150 E-tip.

I saw a M70 with a Winlite stock last week for a great price, but just didn't have the "ballistic".

I've played around with a few 7mm Rem Mags but never owned one like above, I have a 280AI. It's on the heels of the 7 Mag and offers an additional round in the magazine.
If all I had were a 7 Mag, I would be a happy camper and kill everything in NA.

JD338

The only 7mm Rem Mag I have owned was a Savage 110 that I bought as a parts gun and rebuilt. It was a shooter! A friend wanted it worse than I did so down the road it went. Never even got to hunt with it.

I have taken deer and elk with 7mm Rem Mags loaned to me over the years. I happen to think that the 160 grain AccuBond or the 162 grain ELDX from a “7 Mag” check a lot of boxes. If I had to have a magnum for hunting game in NA, I would buy a 7mm Rem Mag and go hunting without any hesitation.

During my gun buying spree several years ago I was picking up New Haven push feed M70s for very reasonable prices. Most of these were in great condition and when restocked shot very well. One of these was in 7mm Rem mag.
With 160gr ABs it would put 5 under 1/2" at 100yds.
I always wanted to build a 280ai but never saw the need after getting the 7mm Rem mag.

I've owned a 7mm Rem Mag since 1966 and it was my primary rifle for many years. At that time I didn't know much about Ackley Improved cartridges and wasn't into forming brass. Had I been I think the 280AI would have been an excellent choice. I own two 280s, a Ruger #1B and a 700 Rem Mountain Rifle that was my father's. Often thought of rechambering the Ruger to 280AI. Since the Mountain Rifle was my father's I want to leave it as it is.

I've owned several 7mm Rem Mag rifles over the years and am quite fond of the cartridge.

One Rem 700 ADL I should have never sold... How it got built as a 700 ADL with that gorgeous chunk of mineral streaked walnut for a stock, I'll never know. Why I sold it? I don't remember. My buddy bought it, scrapped the wood and the barrel and made a 300 Win Mag tactical type rifle out of it. Sigh...

I haven't hunted with the 7mm Rem Mag a lot, but enough to respect it. It's about tied with the 30-06 for me, for practicality, recoil, accuracy potential. Both are good. If I had a 280 AI, I wouldn't bother with the 7mm Rem Mag.

My son has a 7mm Rem Mag Bergara that shoots great:
PUcI3uQl.jpg

"Brandy" my 7mm Rem Mag Ruger Number One has brought me mule deer & pronghorn. It shoots real well too:
LhxpSH4l.jpg

Took a good 6x6 bull with an inexpensive, synthetic stocked Rem 700 ADL, 175 grain Nosler Partition:
R2pWAiGl.jpg

Haven't even gotten around to shooting this Model 70, but it sure looks nice:
Chu6HZ5l.jpg

I surely do like the cartridge. It even looks good!
Iy1Jeotl.jpg

Regards, Guy

Oh - I saw a fellow up in Alaska drop a nice sized interior grizzly with a single 140 grain Barnes TSX (TTSX maybe?) from his 7mm Rem Mag, a synthetic stocked Browning bolt action. He's hunted the world, and is down to that one hunting rifle these days though he could easily afford any rifle. He uncomplicated his handloading, shooting and hunting by selling the rest of his rifles and focusing on just that one for all his needs.

Guy

I have had just the one 7mm Rem Mag over the years; a rh Rem 700 LSS.
That rifle put 3 into 3/8" with shots 4, 5 & 6 out of the box...first 3 were to sight in the scope (Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40). Shots , 7,8 & 9 went into 5/8". The ammunition was the factory Federal Premium 165 gr SGK. I took my first mountain goat (10 1/2") with that rifle, along with mule deer , moose and elk.
A couple of years later, Remington brought that rifle out in LH. I sold the RH to get a LH. They couldn't get a 7mm Rem Mag, so brought in a 270 Win instead, which I took, thinking that I would eventually rebarrel it to 280 Rem.

The 7mm Rem Mag is a great cartridge that performs very well on a large variety of North American big game. For those who primarily hunt animals of the smaller species such as deer, caribou, sheep, and goats, the 150 gr bullets work very well and shoot nice and flat. Those who primarily hunt the larger end of the animals such as moose, elk and bison may prefer the 175 gr bullets for the extra penetration and energy. Years ago I read an article about 7mm cartridges that stated that the optimum bullet weight for the 7mm's was the 160/162/165 class of bullet, providing a balance of velocity for flat shooting over distance, while increasing the sectional density for reliable penetration on larger big game. Having hunted big game with the 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag and 7MM STW over the past 31 years, including 34 animals of the following species; mule deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, whitetail deer, pronghorn, stone's sheep, and caribou (order of species taken over the years) with 160-165 gr bullets; I can confidently say that they work as advertised! Right now my magnum 7 is of the STW variety, and this was purely due to the rifle available, already chambered in this cartridge. Should I not have this rifle any longer, I would replace it with a 7mm Rem Mag.

The 7mm Rem Mag does not produce the heavier recoil of the 300 magnums (H&H, WSM, Win Mag, Wby, RUM and PRC), so many that can handle the recoil of the 30-06 can handle the recoil of the average scoped 7mm Rem Mag rifle in the 7-8 lb class, and will be able to shoot these rifles well. The 300's are beyond the recoil tolerance of the average shooter.
The 300 magnums have taken over as being the most popular caliber today, but honestly, most people would be better served with a 7mm Rem Mag, for the majority of the hunting that they do, since most of the deer (the number one targeted species in North America) in the US are of the smaller body size and do not require the heavier 180 gr bullets to be taken cleanly at normal hunting distances. Even our larger northern animals do not require this level of performance to be taken cleanly at normal hunting ranges.

For the one gun hunter,who hunts a wide variety of species, there is a good argument for having the 300 magnum to be able to handle every animals in every possible scenario they may encounter. The same can be said for the 7mm Rem Mag. For the hunter with multiple rifles, if they have a larger cartridge/caliber such as a 338 Win Mag or bigger, the 7mm Rem Mag makes good sense as a smaller do all cartridge.

And if we are being totally honest, and as most game is taken well under 300 yards, there is good argument for having rifles in non-magnum cartridges that would work equally well, such as 270/280/30-06 or 6.5/7mm-08/308, and 338-06/35 Whelen/9.3x62 or 338 Federal/358 Win/9.3x57.

I have often said that if I were restricted to two hunting rifles, they would mostly likely be a 7mm Rem Mag and a 338 Win Mag ( or a 280 Rem and 338-06).
And if I was restricted to just one (heaven forbid!)...I would probably end up with the 7mm Rem Mag, as it will handle everything I hunt, rifles are readily available (including in LH which I need), with manageable recoil, and ammunition is widely available in the bullet weights that will work for everything.

There is a lot to admire in the 280AI. It gets very close to the same performance of the 7mm Rem Mag, with less powder expended and therefore less recoil. Rifles can be made lighter, and carry more cartridges in the magazine. All valid arguments to justify this cartridge compared to the Big 7. At the end of the day, these are factors that the individual must determine as priorities. In actual on-game field performance, no animal is going to be able to tell the difference of which cartridge laid them down. They both work. Period.

Just glad I do not have to make that choice at this time. Having way too much fun using all of the various cartridges/calibers/rifles that I have now, and/or want to acquire and experiment with!

Last edited:
Interesting! Years ago, when I was overseas I wrote to Bill Steigers of Bitterroot Bonded Core bullets fame. He recommended a 7mm Rem Mag for most game, and a 338 Win Mag for elk, moose & big bear. Seemed like a great combination to me. :) I never did buy a 338, but that could still happen.

I was impressed that he took the time to answer my handwritten letter sent from Okinawa.

Regards, Guy

Interesting! Years ago, when I was overseas I wrote to Bill Steigers of Bitterroot Bonded Core bullets fame. He recommended a 7mm Rem Mag for most game, and a 338 Win Mag for elk, moose & big bear. Seemed like a great combination to me. :) I never did buy a 338, but that could still happen.

I was impressed that he took the time to answer my handwritten letter sent from Okinawa.

Regards, Guy
I believe that I relayed this experience here on Nosler once before...but for those that may have missed it...
Before I got my first 338 Win Mag, I had my 7mm Rem Mag.
I was out hunting with a good friend who had his 338 Win Mag along. A Browning BBR his late father had gotten for him. Although he could handle recoil (collected and shot big bores) he had a mild load for his rifle with the 200 gr Hot Cor that was easy on the shoulder.
We had stopped for a lunch break at a place in the mountains where a stream crossed the road. Upstream about 100 yards away was a large boulder in the steep bank. We were talking about cartridges and their effectiveness. He suggested that I experiment on that boulder with my 7mm and then his 338.
My shot with the 7mm 165 gr bullet hit the boulder with a sharp twack and a splinter of rock went flying. The shot with the 338 200 gr bullet was a resounding whallop, and the boulder shifted in the bank. Was an enlightening experience.
I was sold, and quickly acquired a LH Rem 700 BDL in 338 Win Mag.
I really liked my 7, but was thinking of that 338 for grizzly and bison. (I had an experience on my first bison with the 300 WIn Mag that left me less than satisfied - that 2500 lb bull did not want to die despite several well placed shots) The 338 should surely impress a large bull bison. My next bull taken was a better experience with the 338 using 210 gr Nosler Partitions, and as hoped, worked very well. There was definitely more recoil, which was tamed by installing a LimbSaver pad on that rifle. Went from being bruised and sore after 20 rounds off the bench, to no bruising or soreness after 60 rounds of the bench. Bison and rutted bull elk were cleanly taken with one shot with that 338, not to mention my grizzly (which took a finishing shot; first spined him but did not kill him).

I can say that a 7mm Rem Mag and a 338 Win Mag make a great pair. Should I do it again, they would be matching rifle/scope combinations.

I bought a 7RM shortly after arriving in Canada, 40+ years ago. It was a shooter then, and it has consistently delivered 3/4 MOA with 175 grain bullets. It has account for moose, elk, black bear, mule deer, and whitetail. I've always shot 160 to 175 grain pills, and it has served me well. Since I've owned several 280s and this rifle, I've never felt a need for the 280 AI. It is a fine cartridge, but I'm covered with these two rifles.

It was about 1967, might have been a couple years later, first year a Remington 700 was available in a left hand 7mm mag. A buddy of my dads had just bought one and arraignments were made for me to try it out, I’m a south paw. I was 12 or thirteen and hunted with a 12 ga. and a 30/06. For some reason I was wearing my ski coat when I shot the rifle. Very slick outer shell. When I touched that rifle off it slipped off my shoulder and into my armpit. Took five stitches to close the wound above my eye from the Redfield wide field scope. I’ve owned and hunted with every caliber range up to a 577 nitro. Love my 338 Jarrett and my 375 HH. put a 7mag in my hands and I just know I’m getting wounded. Never owned one never will. But like many of you I think it’s close to perfect.

I've drug my 7mm rem mag all over hunting . it's taken moose , caribou , elk , whitetails . I like the rifle and shoot it well .

I look at the 7 rem mag , and the 280AI , as ballistic twins . the one big difference I see is the 7 rem mag is belted , the 280AI is not . if you don't like belted cases get the 280AI , if the belt doesn't bother you , flip a coin .

My one and only 7mmRM was a Win Mod 70 Black Shadow with the floor plate. Put in a sporter walnut stock, glassed the action and small adjustment of trigger and it was good to go. I had loads with the Nosler 140 AB, BT 150 BT, Sierra 150 BTSP and Speer 160gr HC. I only used for hunting deer here in WV and it did well. Farthest shot was about 355 yds as I recall. Former son in law borrowed it to go elk hunting claiming he got one, but I never saw any pictures, lol. As others have stated I think it's most effective with heavier bullets around the 160gr or so but for me and my hunting needs here it wasn't much of an improvement over the 270 Win or 30-06. Only about 3in difference in drop at 300yds between the 270 and the 7mag. I'm not able to hold that fine of accuracy in field-hunting positions. I had fun using it but couldn't live without it so sold it to a nephew that wanted it, He's killed a few deer with it and is happy. If I lived in the west or Cananda with a variety of game a 7mag would be in the picture as I believe it to be well capable. I need to find out why I own a 35 Whelen:D Dan.

It was about 1967, might have been a couple years later, first year a Remington 700 was available in a left hand 7mm mag. A buddy of my dads had just bought one and arraignments were made for me to try it out, I’m a south paw. I was 12 or thirteen and hunted with a 12 ga. and a 30/06. For some reason I was wearing my ski coat when I shot the rifle. Very slick outer shell. When I touched that rifle off it slipped off my shoulder and into my armpit. Took five stitches to close the wound above my eye from the Redfield wide field scope. I’ve owned and hunted with every caliber range up to a 577 nitro. Love my 338 Jarrett and my 375 HH. put a 7mag in my hands and I just know I’m getting wounded. Never owned one never will. But like many of you I think it’s close to perfect.
Once bitten, twice shy.

I have been seeing a few LH Rem 700 BDL's in 7mm Rem Mag for sale of late, and I have been sorely tempted...
With the 7mm-08, 280 and STW, I have the 7mm spectrum well represented, performance wise, and is serving my purposes fine at this time...and my 3 safes are full right now...but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Once my daughter gets her own safe and takes her firearms home... ;)

I've drug my 7mm rem mag all over hunting . it's taken moose , caribou , elk , whitetails . I like the rifle and shoot it well .

I look at the 7 rem mag , and the 280AI , as ballistic twins . the one big difference I see is the 7 rem mag is belted , the 280AI is not . if you don't like belted cases get the 280AI , if the belt doesn't bother you , flip a coin .
I know that there are many of the opinion that the belted cases are an issue...just not sure exactly what that issue is, as I haven't witnessed any functionality or feeding issues in rifles chambered to belted cases in the field over the past 35 years, and I have owned and used a number of rifles chambered to belted and non-belted cases. I cannot count how many times I have read about how slick the belted 300 H&H (and 375 H&H) is to feed in a bolt action rifle.
If it is accuracy...again, I have not witnessed any difference in the accuracy of rifles chambered to belted or non-belted cartridges. Most rifles that I have owned or shot in belted and non-belted cases have been plenty accurate enough for hunting; accurate (1-1 1/2 MOA) to very accurate (sub-MOA), and will shoot better than I am capable of on any given day. And if I can squeeze out MOA or better accuracy out of them, than a better shot than I can certainly wring out the utmost potential of those rifles.

I guess it is just a politically correct value that someone has expressed an opinion on, and it has caught the younger generations' attention and has gone viral.
As Jim states above; if it bothers you get the 280AI, it is a great cartridge with very good performance and efficiency. If not, then be happy with your 7mm Rem Mag, as I was, for the reasons already provided. At the end of the day, there is no wrong answer!

I know I was intrigued by it when it first came out as a factory offering, for many of the reasons already given; efficiency and magazine capacity, and being very close to the performance of the 7mm Rem Mag, which I already knew and enjoyed.
The main thing for me, is I do not believe that anyone is offering a left handed rifle chambered to this fine cartridge, and given that I have LH 280 and STW, I am not compelled at this time to build a LH 280AI. (And a LH long action donor rifle is not too hard to find.) If I didn't have these 2 fine rifles already, that would be an entirely different conversation!

One of my first rifles I ever bought for myself was a Remington 700 ADL IN 7mm rem mag. Topped it with a 3-9 burris. Loading 150gr Sierra game kings at 2900fps. It would shoot 1.25” 3 shot groups and killed several whitetails from 80 to 440 yards. Regrettably I sent it down the road when I went off to college.

My dad used the same century arms centurion p14 in 7mm rem mag since I was a kid. It was heavy, fairly unwieldy, and ugly, but it was his nearly constant hunting companion for years. Shooting 150 Sierra match kings and later 160gr accubonds. Even after I built him a couple of really nice rifles over the years he still always grabbed that p14.

Attachments

• CB7DC167-EB36-4B1E-A279-4E1B067A1FF5.jpeg
    CB7DC167-EB36-4B1E-A279-4E1B067A1FF5.jpeg
    542.4 KB · Views: 7
  • EF8B8E6F-6626-483B-98DD-D8FFB96DD60D.jpeg
    EF8B8E6F-6626-483B-98DD-D8FFB96DD60D.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 7
Back