New 30-06?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I have a hankering. What should I get? $800 or less.

What say you? :mrgreen:

Thinking Win Ultimate shadow in SS, or Win Featherweight, or Tikka T-3 Superlight, Remington CDL etc.....

Tikka T3x in whatever configuration you like. Light accurate and improved from the previous model.

If your looking for control round feed I would get the Winchester, maybe a New Haven manufacture or if you can find one an older M77 Ruger with the safety on the tang. But then your looking for a stainless so I guess the shadow is your best bet.

Find a well made M1917 sporter, rebarrel if necessary. If you find one like mine, your expensive rifles may get jealous of your cheap date. I paid $125 for mine, put on $100 glass and it shoots as well as anything else I have except the RRA match gun. Pretty good for a gun I don't mind getting dirty with.

Ha! Fotis, you know your taste in rifles better than we.

Something interesting, fun, good looking and functional.

Beyond that? Up to you my friend.

Guy

Polaris":5os8uvaw said:
Find a well made M1917 sporter, rebarrel if necessary. If you find one like mine, your expensive rifles may get jealous of your cheap date. I paid $125 for mine, put on $100 glass and it shoots as well as anything else I have except the RRA match gun. Pretty good for a gun I don't mind getting dirty with.

I like this. Was just thinking of all the wonderful .30-06 rifles that have been made over the past HUNDRED years... There's gotta be something out there that will please The Fotis. (y)

Winchester 1895 Lever action? :grin:

Guy

Gun Broker has a few and an extreme weather you might like but they are above your $800 price range though they do have some in that range just not stainless. They even have a Scotty model pre 64 at a good price, http://www.gunbroker.com/item/60664538 . Maple stocked Super grade /item/606644215
extreme /item/605276600
/item/606644571
Just a few I saw.

Yes those maples are nice but not 1300 dollars nice!

If I had a hankering for a low dollar shooter.... I'd likely grab a Howa stainless action and put it in a B&C Medalist stock.

That'd be under $800 and would likely look OK and drive tacks.

Updated-
Brownells has the cerakoted action for $399 and Stocky's has the stock for $271...that's $670.

I'm partial to the Mod 70 FWTS, but I also like the Mod 700 Classics. Behind it would be the Mod 700 CDL...24" bbl and slightly heavier barrel.

FOTIS":210nc0uz said:
JD338":210nc0uz said:
Winchester M70 Featherweight

JD338

hmmmmm
If you looked at the links I posted there was 1 or FW in there for under $800 but they're blue.
I thought Scotty would like the 1963 M70 30-06 that the first link is connected to, $1200 isn't too bad for the condition it's in. (y)

I'm partial to the Tikka T3, but in that price range, you could get a Weatherby vanguard 2 with 24" barrel and put it in a Bell and Carlson stock. Enjoy your search.

Fotis, there was one built by montana for a grand on gun brokers earlier today and now its is gone

did you buy it ? or is your 800 a solid number?

Montana Rifle Company X2 - Just a bit above your $800.00 list, but sure nice rifles.

Ruger Hawkeye -

Winchester Model 70 EW

Back