New article and video up with the 30 caliber 200 gr Nosler Partition playing a key role:

I know that hunt was a while ago, but I finally managed to get it onto our Youtube channel - and since it involves Nosler Partitions, I thought it rated mention here.

There's also a written article, with more details than the video. Same link.

Regards, Guy

Read the article and watched the video @Guy Miner well done. I'm glad you were able to get such a beautiful bear on your hunt. It was nice to meet you face to face on that trip too. I'll share some thoughts on bear guns and bullets when I get the chance. Frying up bacon wrapped salmon and breaded halibut right now for supper with some friends.

That sounds like a great dinner Gerry! Thank you and your wife for the hospitality of letting me stay a night at your place on my way north to Alaska!

Then Dr Mike hosted me overnight on my trip home a couple of weeks later. :)

Except for a few short day-trips into southern BC with my wife, I haven't been back to Canada since. Sigh...

Guy

It was a pleasure meeting you, we were pumped when we saw the bear you got up there. So nice you could see Dr Mike too on the way south again. You drove through some nice country both ways.

We are moving to the North Okanagan this spring so won't be too far from where you live. Leaving on Wednesday to find a house.

Nice job on a very detail documentation of your hunt.
You make a valid point about weight and handling of your rifle in the field. I will admit that most of rifles are too heavy for stalk hunting.

A lot of great advice here!

Great handling rifles that you shoot well is top priority. Pair it with good optics that will provide a good field of view at extremely close range, while allowing for precision out to 300 yards, if needed.
Pair these with a cartridge loaded with a good bullet that will provide great penetration (SD of .250 or better), that will still have sufficient velocity to expand reliably for a good wound channel, with a retained energy of 1500 to 2000 ft. lbs. (the latter energy figure being what the old bear guides recommended) on the bear, to penetrate heavy muscle and/or bone, to make into the vitals, providing quick and lethal results. (With today's premium controlled expansion bullets, the lower energy figure seems to be the current recommendation of many advocates.) Many cartridges today provide these velocity and energy figures. Pick the one that you shoot well.
And in the end, lots of practice to provide proficiency with this rifle/cartridge combination from any field position, when your adrenaline is running on high!

Prepare physically and mentally for the worst, and hope for the best, and you will be able to get through whatever nature throws at you on such a hunt!
Competence breeds confidence!

I'm a firm believer in using what you shoot best for bear as-well. I personally use standard cartridges with heavy for caliber bullets. My guiding gun is chambered in 8x57 180gr TSX at 2780 fps and don't feel handicapped or under gunned even in remote British Columbia.

Back