.30-06 Rem 700 & 200 gr Partitions

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
At 300 yards today, about 53 degrees F. Prone, over the pack:

7QLq3htl.jpg

Three shots on the 300 yard gong, spread of about 2.5" and the 200 gr Partitions were averaging 2612 fps. That first round hit, the gong rang, and I got a big ol' grin on my face. I wish I'd explored 200 gr bullets for the .30-06 long ago. My rifle & ammo did well last season, but I think this load would have been even better, particularly on the bear and elk.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":82z1uifq said:
At 300 yards today, about 53 degrees F. Prone, over the pack:

7QLq3htl.jpg

Three shots on the 300 yard gong, spread of about 2.5" and the 200 gr Partitions were averaging 2612 fps. That first round hit, the gong rang, and I got a big ol' grin on my face. I wish I'd explored 200 gr bullets for the .30-06 long ago. My rifle & ammo did well last season, but I think this load would have been even better, particularly on the bear and elk.

Regards, Guy

Great picture Guy! That rifle does have some excellent wood.

What's your load? Sounds like a really decent shooting combo.

I'm pretty sure that 200 PT and AccuBond were made for elk. Not that your choice didn't do excellent as well.

That is a very handsome rifle. The load would be a hammer on game.

Scotty, am sitting on 53 grains of H4350. Seems to be working well.

Ya, my choice of the 165 gr Ballistic Tip at 2900 fps worked fine, but... I simply hadn't explored what a good 200 gr bullet from the same rifle could do... Dang... I think I bought these years ago, when I had a .300 RUM, which I never used on game. I do think I may have found a new "standard" load...

Guy

DrMike":11ny7r5u said:
That is a very handsome rifle. The load would be a hammer on game.

Thanks Mike. I remember finding it on the used rack at a local gun shop. Looked new to me, but thought it was over-priced. Looked at it several times, finally negotiated a few dollars off the price and it went home with me. I liked it from the start, but didn't get serious about hunting with it until last year.

Had the trigger adjusted to three pounds, crisp. And the action pillar bedded while the barrel was free-floated. All by an up and coming local gunsmith.

Guy

Great load Guy, should work well from anything from deer to moose. I's hard to beat a 200 gr 30 cal bullet for elk and moose from a 30-06 or bigger round.

Thanks Guy. That's a great load.

I could see a fella really liking that combo for swatting elk and bear.

Beautiful rifle, Guy.

2.5" at 300 yards, prone, over your pack, Wow, that is great shooting. That will definitely put a smile on your face.

Nice load Guy.

I think the heavy 30's are where the 30-06 separates itself from the 308.

If you like the idea of the heavy 30's don't overlook the 210 ABLR.

I have been shooting the 190 ABLR with excellent results at the range and on game. Recently bought some 210 ABLR's to work up a load with them. Quickload says 2700 ft/sec is possible with RL-26. That would be some serious power.

JohnB

AFG270":218lfg4m said:
Beautiful rifle, Guy.

2.5" at 300 yards, prone, over your pack, Wow, that is great shooting. That will definitely put a smile on your face.

Thanks, it's been a great hunting rifle, and ya, I bought it several years ago because the stock looked good and I wanted a 24" .30-06 Rem 700.

There's a reason I quit at three shots... :mrgreen:

I know my limits, and I was pleased! Just splatters on the steel, I'm not sure I can get a good photo of it. I'll take another look at the target tomorrow.

Guy

JohnB":1ywgwlwr said:
Nice load Guy.

I think the heavy 30's are where the 30-06 separates itself from the 308.

If you like the idea of the heavy 30's don't overlook the 210 ABLR.

I have been shooting the 190 ABLR with excellent results at the range and on game. Recently bought some 210 ABLR's to work up a load with them. Quickload says 2700 ft/sec is possible with RL-26. That would be some serious power.

JohnB

Very cool! I don't think I'm going to mess with this load at all. Just load a bunch more of them, and use 'em on pretty much everything. Why not? :grin:

I do have a .300 WSM Model 70 lurking about that does a great job with 210 gr Berger VLD's at a little over 2800 fps. But, I don't like it as much...

Guy

Guy,

That 200 gr load has some decent speed and horsepower, not to mention accuracy.
A true American classic. Nice looking rig.

JD338

I think that Classic you have sure is pretty Guy. The wood is very nice. Pillar bedding and floating the barrel sure seems to help keeping them consistent and you don't have to worry about your load shifting POI.

You have me thinking I need to try some of those in my Ruger 1B now in 30-06. With the 26" barrel I'd like to see what it would do.

Guy,
That is a darn good looking rifle. We used the 200gr Noslers quite a bit in Alaska years ago and they worked
Nicely on Moose and Grizzly both. I also used the 220gr as well and liked them too. Barnes used to make a 250gr with heavy .032 jacket that would end for ending a 6/700 lb bear!
I would certainly be cautious about using 200gr bullets on smaller stuff....... I had very poor luck with them, on Caribou not hit right in the middle of the shoulders, run offs. They were almost useless on Dall Sheep as they will go thru them without transfering jack into them , I shot one 4 times with
200s one time before he finally fell down ( would have been a DRT with one from your 25/06). And used all three of those bullets, on wounded Black Bears and found them WAY to heavy again. Shoot right straight thru them from about any angle. :cry: ( your 165 BT works perfect on 250lb bears, much more effective on poorly hit ones, than the 200gr bullets)
If it doesnt weight 500lb I just found at 06 velocitys they will give pass thrus most of the time and run offs will be common from our observations of how they worked on smaller game. I keep seeing folks recomending big heavy bullets on smaller game and cant imagine why..... A 243 with 100gr bullets will work considerably better on a 150lb deer, lung shot than a 200gr Nosler from an 06 or the 225gr from our 35 Whelens.
A tack hammer works great on tacks , a sledge hammer works good on railroad spikes. Neither are that effective ,when you use them for something, they were never made for.
I am all for heavier bullet on Elk and have killed a half dozen or so with the exact load your playing with and it works perfectly! And if for any reason you were to wound him and he was running straight away you would have exactly what you need to shoot him again in the backend. 8)
Good Luck with them. (y)

Nice rifle and great shooting Guy.. In my limited experience with the '06 I have stuck with the 180 Partition or Accubonds and never had a problem. I think they are a good compromise for trajectory, velocity and energy. Based on your liking for the 165's I bought a few and have not loaded enough to get a good idea how they will perform in my rifles.
When I first asked my outfitter what they recommend she said 180 grain 30 caliber bullets for elk and deer in Montana.

This is all about the Rifle Looney fixing stuff!!

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's taken a bunch of animals with proven stuff only to try a new bullet or powder just because.

I honestly don't know what difference in bullet performance you'd see between a 150 Partition and a 200 Partition. Same front end on all of them with the same frontal core so they should open the same. Don't really know though, as speed does count on the smaller stuff while the bigger animals are less impressed.

I do know you can't make that 200 perform poorly. That and the 200 AB are some serious bullets in the 300 magnums.

Great shooting Guy. I have used the 200 Partition in my old 06 for both deer and elk and have always like the results, dead animals with very little meat loss.

Bill

I always found good accuracy in 10" twist 06's with the heavies...200-240. I found the Sierra 200SBT was a bit easier to get accuracy from than the 200PT and 200 Speer, though not my much, fractions actually. In my old Enfield, in Remington cases, 54gr of IMR 4350 was the berries with every 200. It was the slowest powder I had at the time. I used R15 with Woodleigh 240. I used R22 with the Partition and the Sierra in a 30-06 Ackley Improved. I would imagine that, of the ones I mentioned, the Nosler would open better, just because of that soft front core, but I can't say empirically, never killed game with any of them but one big hog (neck shot, at base of skull at 25yds) with the Partition...but it opened swell and went about half way to china in the dirt! :) I had a homemade "swinger plate" made instead of a gong, back in the 80's. It was 1 1/2 steel plate, 10" square hung on two chains from a rack. I spray painted it white. At 300yds the 150gr would make it swing very little and go "plink". The 200 Sierra would make it jump and go "thoomp"! ha I don't know anything about the 200 NAB in an 06, but in a 300 RUM, out at almost 440yds it went completely through a big cow elk, made a 2" exit hole and blew chunks of lungs far behind her!

Nice shooting. I usually shoot between 150 - 180 gr. in my '06. I may look into the 200 gr.
BTW nice fire stick.
I love the look of wood on a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back