New build-- 28 Nosler-----update----FINISHED!!!!

Think I'm going with the McMillan hunter in this black....

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,839
Sorry the pictures quality I suck at photography... But I'm on a Evidence recovery team,, go figure lol

I have one Stiller Predator and she's a very accurate rifle, I would have confidence it will shoot. 9 twist is fine, though as someone mentioned an 8 wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Kind of late in the game here, but I would order an Echols Shrike stock. The wait would be longer than you want though. In a shorter timeframe I would pick a McMillan Remington Classic stock. That's my favorite Rem pattern bolt on McMillan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelkdouglas":2ej97s71 said:
I have one Stiller Predator and she's a very accurate rifle, I would have confidence it will shoot. 9 twist is fine, though as someone mentioned an 8 wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Kind of late in the game here, but I would order an Echols Shrike stock. The wait would be longer than you want though. In a shorter timeframe I would pick a McMillan Remington Classic stock. That's my favorite Rem pattern bolt on McMillan.

I'm with Joel. An 8 twist won't hurt a thing and will only help with hunting bullets.

I basically would be shooting 120gr thru 162.. Barrel isn't ordered yet,,, what's the difference in 1 turn?

jezzolo":2skqsfqf said:
I basically would be shooting 120gr thru 162.. Barrel isn't ordered yet,,, what's the difference in 1 turn?

RPMs :lol:

It never hurts and it'll get as much BC out of the bullet it has since it should go to sleep faster. Plus it doesn't hurt for game bullets either. Helps really open them up.

Ok,, I know what BC is but what do you mean by "go to sleep faster". And "doesn't hurt for game bullets" are you saying like Partition type? "Helps really open them up". Like mushroom??

jezzolo":12jjsmff said:
Ok,, I know what BC is but what do you mean by "go to sleep faster". And "doesn't hurt for game bullets" are you saying like Partition type? "Helps really open them up". Like mushroom??

It is not uncommon for a bullet to yaw, gyrating or spinning around a non-central axis before eventually stabilising. With some rifle/load combinations this requires quite a bit of distance. One of my favourite rifle/bullet combinations is a 7mm RM charged with 175 grain Partitions. It shoots 3/4 groups at 100 yards and 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards. Hence, the bullet "goes to sleep" (ceases to gyrate) somewhere beyond 100 yards with that particular combination.

And Brian Litz has published info in the last 5 years that details that faster twist barrels produce ballistic coefficient performance in bullets that is higher than performance out of slower twist barrels. His info is plugged into the Berger twist calculator. But you're right--not much difference between an 8-twist and a 9-twist barrel. So I would get the 8-twist for the above reasons.

The other school of thought, a bit older than Litz' findings, was not to over twist bullets because the slowest twist that will stabilize a bullet results in the best accuracy. No one has published any work refuting this thinking, but it doesn't hold water with me. I think it may have been true some years ago when bullets weren't as consistent as they are now.

Yes, typically stabilizes the long, heavy bullets for great accuracy and still shoots the lighter bullets well.

Guy

Ok I have 100gr-162gr on hand and by what everyone says a 1-8 would be a good option for me. 26in barrel with a 1-8 twist,, I want a vais muzzle break as well, 6 flutes. Next question what contour?? Have no idea about that.. Guess I need to go look at them...

How do you plan on using the rifle?

If it's going to be a rifle you hike with and hunt the hills I wouldn't want anything heavier than a #3, preferably even a 2. If your not going to be hunting with the rifle in your hands all day long the sky's the limit.

Yes, hunting.. No mountain climbing, nothing to serious.. I don't go too far from the truck lol By that I mean less than 2 miles.. All easy walking on lease roads and thru open timber. I do a lot of sitting looking over clear cuts and some fields.

I think a rifle in the 8 lb range (scoped or even without scope) would be acceptable for me in those conditions. Probably up to a modest #4 barrel and regular fill McMillan. I prefer a #2-#3 (depending on maker) and an Edge fill stock, but I carry my rifles a ways sometimes.

This scope is built like a tank....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,106
You are correct about the strength of the Nightforce. Fine scopes in every respect. Plus, the extra weight won't hurt a thing with your build.

Back