New build under way .308 / 22/250 AI

scout1

Beginner
Aug 31, 2011
Sent partial components to the smith this week to have a switch barrel put together. My donor was a Rem 700P that I felt needed some attention. I had the raceway reamed out to .705 and ordered a custom ground fluted bolt from Dave Kiff. I had a Broughton 7.4 contour 10 twist sitting here and sent that along with a custom reamer I had made from my sized .308 dummy round. The action will be getting the complete treatment along with a side bolt release and an enlargement job on the magazine cut-out for the MaCree XL .308 magazines. The .308 barrel will be plain round, the 22/250 will be a Broughton fluted 8 twist. Both barrels along with the action and bolt will be nitro carburized. The .22 barrel will be getting Vulcanized rubber laid into the flutes and sanded back to a full round. This could be interesting depending on how the rubber effects harmonics. Hopefully it will widen the sweet spots, fingers crossed. Once all of the machining is done it will be bolted in to an XLR Chassis that I plan on having Hydro dipped in a Marpat camo pattern. The XLR chassis will have the tactical butt stock and a rail underneath the 16" forearm for an Atlas bi-pod.
For optics I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MRAD from Liberty Optics

I will be running the 155 Scenar, IMR-8208 in the .308 and the 75 A-max, H-4350 in the .22
I hope to have it in my hands by Thanksgiving but you know what they say about the best laid plans. Time will tell.

Too Tall":2e5yxxda said:
I've seen the flutes full of rubber, before, somewhere...

Your cousins doing it. I'm sure you've seen it before :grin:

Am curious why your running 155s in a 10 twist barrel? I have some berger 155 and 168 hybrids you can try if you want when you get that built. I normally shoot the 168-175 g in my 308. There not available to the public yet so I don't have any info regarding bc. Let me know if your interested.

usmc 89":3siglmks said:
Am curious why your running 155s in a 10 twist barrel? I have some berger 155 and 168 hybrids you can try if you want when you get that built. I normally shoot the 168-175 g in my 308. There not available to the public yet so I don't have any info regarding bc. Let me know if your interested.

I ran the 155 Scenars in the 6 groove 12 twist 700P OEM barrel and they ran great. I picked up another thousand thinking that I was going to have the next barrel chambered in a 12 twist as well but found a steal on a 10 twist that I couldn't pass up. The Broughton 5C's are pretty fast barrels so I don't think the 10 twist will hold me back any.
Could you please pass along some OAL and bearing surface measurements on those new hybrids. What powder are you using with the 175's and what speeds are you getting. Considering the BC of the Scenars and the speeds they can be pushed the 175's would be the only contender if you can get them running quick enough while not destroying your brass.

BTW, your signature line is great

I picked up another thousand thinking that I was going to have the next barrel chambered in a 12 twist as well but found a steal on a 10 twist that I couldn't pass up. The Broughton 5C's are pretty fast barrels so I don't think the 10 twist will hold me back any.

I don't think you're gonna have a problem running the 155 Scenar on a 10 twist barrel. However, if you decide to part with the Scenar, you let me know. My 308 loves it.

Sounds like a sweet set up! Can't wait to see some pictures of that rig. Scotty

This is the rifle that I am modeling mine after. As soon as I saw this picture on another site I new I wanted the multicam Hydro-dip, it just looks awesome. Mine will be the same stock st-up with rails and an Atlas. Right now I'm looking at different Hydro companies and pricing them out. From what I've seen so far it should be just under $200 for the dip

XLRDip.jpg

Here are the dimensions of the 155 berger hybrid, boattail base .265 length of boattail .210 bearing surface .290 total length 1.255". I ran the 175 matchking at 2730 with 4350 and the 168 hornady bthp at 2780 with re-15. The 175s consistency faded at around 1100 with the 168 and around 1250 with the 175s. How durable is that dip compared to cerakote?

usmc 89":2lflf13m said:
Here are the dimensions of the 155 berger hybrid, boattail base .265 length of boattail .210 bearing surface .290 total length 1.255". I ran the 175 matchking at 2730 with 4350 and the 168 hornady bthp at 2780 with re-15. The 175s consistency faded at around 1100 with the 168 and around 1250 with the 175s. How durable is that dip compared to cerakote?

Here are the bullets Jeff asked me to post up for reference. Scotty

L-R 155gr Berger Hybrid, 168gr Berger Hybrid, 168gr Hornady BTHP and the 175gr Sierra MK

IMG00544-20110904-1355.jpg

Here are the dimensions of the
155 berger hybrid, 155 Scenar
boattail base .265 boattail base .261
length of boattail .210 length of boattail .185
bearing surface .290 bearing surface .390
total length 1.255". total length 1.293

The new berger Hybrid and the Scenar are pretty close. Can't wait to hear what kind of BC they test out to. Have you correlated any field data with JBM to come up with a usable BC yet?

How durable is that dip compared to cerakote?

This is a pretty good video showing the durability. I think it will work extremely well. I won't be coating the action or the barrel so I'm not worried about the heat.

http://youtu.be/etQhZlqNiU0

I haven't messed with the jbm for that bullet yet. I have recently been playing with a 6.5x47 lapua and honestly have not shot the 308 in a while. So far the lapua has been pretty impressive.

Back