New cases

Danielgelinas

Beginner
Mar 7, 2017
Guys,

1- I have 100 new 22-250 PPU cases. Why do I need to resize them before loading?Shouldn't the factory have already done this?

2- I also have 50 new nosler 22-250 cases. I loaded them up directly with 31.5 gr of varget with wlr primer and hornady 55 gr v-max. Max load in the hornady manual is 34.6 gr. I then looked at the lyman manual for the same hornady 55gr v-max and their starting load is 34 gr with a maximum load of 37 gr!
Only difference I see is the cases being used. The first is hornady frontier cases, for the hornady loads, and winchester cases for the lyman loads. Should I be a little worried about my 31.5 gr being too low? Or the max Lyman load too high?

Thaks for any insight!

Regards

Dan

You shouldn't have any issues Dan even if the Nosler cases are heavier than a Hornady case.

If the neck(s) are perfectly round you could load the PPU cases, just depends on how they look? But you still want to chamfer them on the inside of the neck mouth.

Depending on what you're wanting to do with your reloading projects? Just build ammo, or make super accurate ammo, there's more work to do. Get a chronograph first, a Crony for example and they work fine. Next would be to know the seating depth of each bullet in the gun you're using, that requires another item that measures to the lands of the gun with the bullet you're using. Sinclair makes a good one. Other than a good set of calipers, scale and a few other tools, some needed and some not really you should be on your way.

Main point: Know the expected velocity for the given cartridge using the same bullet weight, and with the barrel length of your gun, and stay within that range unless you are experiencing signs of pressure! Back off if that's the case. Also load small batches if possible, and if you're able to load and test over the chronograph at the range do so.

Good luck

Thanks Cole,

I do have a Crony and will use it in my load developement. I also will experiment with bullet depth. Firearm is new so I wanted some light loads to break it in.

Regards,

Dan

I'm not a bench rest shooter but I like to run my new cases over the sizing ball. I'm not looking for perfection but just hope to iron out any problems before I try to seat a bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back