New howa 1500 or uses tikka t 3

LLYDIRTYMAX1

Beginner
Jan 20, 2016
Looking to buy my father a new rifle for Christmas in 2506. I have found a new howa 1500 for $400 and a few used tikka for 550.I wanted some input for people who have experience with either rifle as far as accuracy and durability. TIA for suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my first HOWA 1500 earlier this year (6.5x55). I am impressed with the rifle. Very accurate and nice trigger. I will buy another one. No experience with a Tikka but hearing a lot of good things about the T3. I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle. Great gift!!

A $400 Howa is a tough to beat. I've had a few and all were uniformly good performers. Good machine work and great accuracy.

The Tikka is a pretty good proposition as well- mine shot lights out.

If your Dad is a backpack hunter or is wanting a lightweight rifle- go Tikka. If he's a stand hunter or range shooter....the Howa.

Just my $0.02

You won't go wrong with either rifle. $400 for the Howa is a great price.

Of the hundreds that I have sold and seen sold in both brands, I have not heard of any complaints on shooting performance or accuracy. I do see quite a few used Tikka's in 338 Win Mag, and believe that it is due to the recoil of such a light rifle. I have not heard of a Howa that did not shoot at least acceptably well.

Weatherby Vanguards, as noted above, are built using Howa barrelled actions. If only they made a left handed version!

A few years ago, the 1000 yard match near Burns Lake here in BC was won by a fellow using a stock Tikka T3 in 6.5x55. Third place was also captured with the same rifle by a 16 year old girl who had been shooting for less than a year!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that there are aftermarket detachable magazine conversion kits for the Howa at a reasonable price. In case the detachable magazine of the Tikka is swaying your decision.

Tikka's also must shoot a 1" 3 shot group when test fired at the factory, using factory ammunition, before leaving the factory. If it does not pass, it gets rebarrelled. The same barrels are used on Sako rifles but must perform the same with 5 shot groups.

I have several Weatherby Vanguards, aka Howas. They are very accurate, and every one of them will shoot Sub-MOA with factory ammo. So far I have yet to get one that doesn't shoot as well as I would like. The 24 inch barrel of the Vanguard can be an advantage, if you want it.

LLYDIRTYMAX1":1x8i35wt said:
Looking to buy my father a new rifle for Christmas in 2506. I have found a new howa 1500 for $400 and a few used tikka for 550.I wanted some input for people who have experience with either rifle as far as accuracy and durability. TIA for suggestions.

I like both rifles, and either will perform very well, indeed. A $400 Howa would definitely spark my interest. On the other hand, a $550 Tikka would generate some interest. I should imagine that your choice is determined by more esoteric issues than accuracy and quality. Price, your father's desire and willingness to show your love for him are all factors that will no doubt guide you in your decision. What won't be a problem in either choice is accuracy and quality of workmanship.

I have a Tikka T3 light in .308 and based on my experience with it I would look real close at the Tikka for $550. When I was researching the Tikka I read that they put the same barrels on the Tikka as they did for the Sakos. Really good trigger too.
I bought mine in 2007 if memory serves me and it has become my main rifle. Mine has a Zeiss 3X9 Conquest which just made the package about perfect.

thanks for all the advice guys! I ended up choosing th howa it felt every bit as nice as the tikka, and the new two stage trigger is excellent. Bought a sig sauer whiskey three to put on it with the price difference!

Sounds like a great combo to me. Looking forward to what you think of the SIG scope.

Back