New hunting camp

Very nice! (y)

Four acres that I could afford out here would probably have about one or two trees and no water.

Guy

Well to be honest it wasn't a lot, as I bought it from an old friend of my Dads, he and his brother were left it back in the 80's by their grandfather, it was his " huntin camp" anyway they are both getting up there, and wanted to get something out of it, and spend the money as neither have any interest in it. So that's how it
Happened, it is worth a lot more than we paid for it, but he wanted me to have it I guess? He felt his grandfather would have wanted someone like me to have it............
So it is not a normal deal where you ask what something is valued, it was more like instead of simply giving it
To me , he asked for a few thousand bucks and said he would "split it with his brother" but I know darn well, he gave him all of the money........ so like I said he just wanted me, to have it. When I told him we where going to build right away, where the old camp fell down, he put his arm on my shoulder and said Gosh I am so glad to hear that ; and I am sure papa would be too.......... :wink:
So there you have it, just one of those things that are ment to be, fate, karma, right place right time, a fella that had three girls and always wanted a boy, just wanted to get his brother some $$$ out of it before he couldn't spend it? Or just felt he may have let his grandfather down by never doing anything with the " old camp". Take your pick???? Could be any of those???
This is not really unusual for me, I have had a lot of folks offer me stuff that belonged to their family
before! An old friend of our family gave me his mothers 20 ga Parker GHE for a wedding present! :wink:
And I could relate dozens of other things that have come to me that are similar.........
I guess someone has been looking after me the whole way???? :? :shock:

Sounds like a great deal for all parties. I did look up landwatch in that county. Pretty comparable to Northern MN, even lake property would be affordable to folks who work for a living.

Looking forward to updates once you get building!

Roger that ! I will be taking my JD tractor down to clean up the old
Cabin asap! But 4' of snow in the woods there right now! ! :cry:
IMG_2386.JPG

35 Whelen":340tkg2z said:
Nope just stick frame it with all Hemlock, rough sawn its dirt cheap here. Can buy all the studs&rafters, floor joyce
And nice wide 5\4 boards to board it all in for less than a grand. Shingles and drip edge over tarpaper less than $500, then cedar 1/2 round over the sides and gable ends
So it looks like a "log cabin".......... Only thing different is more windows; So will puting in some like this! Up in both gable ends! View attachment 1 Should look very similar to this one with natural
( Berh Rawhide) Finnish on siding trimed in Forest Green! I have an old apartment sized cook stove
With an oven for pan of biscuits to slide in there already! Plus an old hand pump that came out of my Grandfathers home still in the old cast iron sink! I even have the old " Home Comfort" wood range they raised our whole family on! Gosh I was raised in same crib as my Dad had and my son
was too, along with a dozen cousins!!!! We don't throw anything away around here. I still have granddads " Bridgeport Boy Scout " hatchet, his 90 year old pack basket, his solid gold pocket watch
His mother gave him when he graduated from high school. His WW1 Corp of Engineers Compass (Waltham)he had in Germany, and of course his Marbles stacked leather handle knife, and Marbles Safety Axe......So we come from a looong line of woodsmen.

great post, thanks Earle

will you build the cabin yourself or hire a contractor ? very cool cabin or will be

Oh no we will be the contractor, lol we are always building something! Usually make our own trusses, lift em up with bucket on the tractor, works really well for that. I can get shingles as seconds for bout 1/2 the cost of steel roofing and labor is going to be free anyway, we will do that roof easy in a day, small place like that goes
Up pretty easy, I will post pics as we go along!

Back