New load for the 6.5 Creedmoor

jockperkins

Beginner
Dec 31, 2011
Guys, I decided to shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor I had built (listed in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago). Of course I have had no hits and have a lot of money into it so I am not that willing to let it go.

I wanted to see what it would do. Here is a load of 42.5 grains of H414 with 140 Berger VLD at 100 yds. This is a five shot group with a ES of 18 fps and an SD of 6 fps. I was shooting prone off of a bipod with a quarter wind fluctuating between 5 and 10 mph. Cant wait to see what I can do without wind and off a solid bench. I might not sell this thing after shooting it today. It is a dream...

Attachments

• 2012-04-13_17-09-44_183.jpg
    2012-04-13_17-09-44_183.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,167
I do believe you had better keep that rifle. That beats to pieces what I'm getting with mine so far. Excellent riflery and a fine load.

Here is the rifle for those who haven't already seen it. Built by Tony Fanelli of Blue Arms, Idaho.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,146
  • 7946d1333043942t-long-range-tactical-6-5-creedmoor-sale-p1020229-1024x768-.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • 7945d1333043942t-long-range-tactical-6-5-creedmoor-sale-p1020227-1024x768-.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,146
Terry Cross Sentinel with loggerhead hardware, custom made by Mcmillan. You have to order through Terry but I can tell you it is the best stock I have ever shot from... like a glove...

Very awesome rifle buddy! Those 6.5's are some serious shooters from what it looks like. Haven't seen a bad one yet!

I haven't seen much out of Tony or John in years. We (a friend and I) had John build us a few rifles prior to buying our own lathe and mill and doing it ourselves. That was in the late 80's. Tony wasn't doing rifle work at that time. He was a shotgun/pistol guy. They had their shop in Boise on State St. at that time we had work done. John moved to MT not long after that. Last I heard Tony was in Horseshoe Bend?

Wincheringen,

I guess I don't know how to respond to a comment like that... I have other rifles that shoot groups that are pretty good as well but this rifle is special and worth every penny that I paid to have it built. Few rifles fit a man like a glove and recoil so little that they make you smile when pulling the trigger. If your intention was to say I was dumb for spending as much money as I did to procure the product then I guess you are entitled to your opinion. Shootability in terms of accuracy was only one of the functional attributes I was looking for. Aesthetics, fit in various shooting positions also played a role. I am not a great shooter but I am pretty decent at evaluating a persons character based on comments and you didn't win any popularity contests with me on this one. I am glad your rifle shoots well for you. You really didn't need to add anything else...

Idaho CTD,

I remember when Tony worked on State Street. He worked on a couple of my shotguns. John is in Montana and Tony works mostly on rifles now. He is in Horseshoe Bend in a little shop on the right as you leave town heading north towards Cascade.

Generally, the individual who builds a custom or semi-custom gun, is building a work of art. It is his ideal, and it fulfils an itch that has to be scratched. The person who buys a rifle off the shelf and finds that it shoots great, will always be pleased. However, he will always know that he shares what he has with a goodly number of other people. The custom or semi-custom gun may shoot only marginally better than select factory rifles, but in the truest sense of the word it belongs to the man who built it. I obviously enjoy shooting my factory rifles, and I will continue to pick them up whenever I am able to do so. However, my semi-custom and custom rifles become mine in a manner that really can't be explained--it must be experienced.

I really dig that stock! The Mickeys and Manners stocks have my attention for the next long range stick.

Mr Perkins, that my friend is one hell of rifle. I'm not crazy about the pattern but I like that Sentinel Stock.

Back