New loading bench?

widgeon

Handloader
Feb 19, 2011
So, I just moved and am ready to build a new loading bench. The last one I built was a corner unit and worked remarkably well. I built it at desk height ( 30") and used an old, office chair. It was a great space saver as well as easy to work with. I could easily swivel between powder dispencer/ scale and press.

I'm considering going the same route. I'm thinking of going about 3' each way and making it about 18" deep.

I'm just looking for suggestions and would like to know what you guys use, what you would change about your current set up and generally what seems to work best.

Thanks,
Tony

I have a tall skinny bench that I use. I do not sit in a chair when I reload, so I put down some of those thick, comfort mats to stand on. You can never have enough room on a bench. I also built a second bench near it, where my powder dispensers and scales sit. That way my case prep and bullet seating motions don't disturb them. The only thing I wish I could have is more room. I have a whole building dedicated to my reloading shop and still not enough space!

I built my bench as well, out of 2 x 4s and a 1 inch thick top of some wood at Lowe's.

I measured the counter in my kitchen and made the bench the same height, as I prefer to stand or use a stool when working.

I would do the same for mine again, except I would make it heavier if it were going to be permanent. 2 x 4s on their edge would be a great top, below the 1 inch "cap", though it would be a problem to drill through to attach the vise.

Thanks guys.
Due to some back problems, I can't really stand in one place too long. Thus, the desk height and chair.

I will be building it semi- permanent. It will be screwed to the wall for added stability, but I will want to take it when I move.

As far as a top, I'm torn between layering plywood or joining 2X4's flat. I think 1 1/2" thick is plenty if it's on a solid base.

I'd love to see some pics of your benches and how they are set up.

Thanks,
Tony

Widgeon,

This stream:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18188

has images of a project I'm working on. But you can see the workbench underneath the project, as well as my reloading press and scale / dispenser. I was using the normal powder measure but it wasn't at the right height (or at least that's what I told my wife, who didn't believe me either).

Joel

Widgeon -

I sort of split the difference; 2x6 supports with plywood on top. I got the materials for ridiculously cheap and have a full day's worth of work in the bench. I have another half-day or so in the bracket for the press, but overall it works well and is take-down capable for transport.

The next challenge is I broke down and got an electric powder dispenser. Got to figure out how to isolate that thing...

View attachment IMG_0191.jpg

Thanks to all for the input.

At this point, I think I'll stick to my basic design and probably get a better feel of actual dimensions when I begin the build. Tomorrow I will be building some shelving/ storage in the garage. Once I get the rest of my equipment and other crap stowed away, I'll be ready to build the bench.

Hoping to build my bench on Thursday, following a rimfire hog hunt :shock: on Wed. I will post some pics of the build and final product.

I would still like to see more pics of different set ups. :mrgreen:

Thanks ,
Tony

I constructed my setup by anchoring 2x4's to the walls and floor; I built counter tops from a double thickness of 3/4" particle board and topped it with formica. Below is lots of open shelf storage for ammo. Above are wall cabinets for storage of components, etc. One of the best things I did was to install lighting under the wall cabinets [and above the countertop] so I'm never working in a shadow. As I've aged my eyes require more light to function, this gives me an edge. The work surface must be sturdy and rock solid. Even small amounts of movement can introduce negative variables into the amounts of powder being metered from a powder measure attached to a progressive loader. A solid work surface solves many problems experienced when reloading. When mounting my equipment, I identify a convenient location for it, mark and drill the mounting holes, then install threaded inserts into the bottom of the work surface. This allows me to remove a piece of equipment from a prime location for storage and then locate another piece of equipment there for use. Using this setup I can optimize the use of prime counter top real estate by using the same location for several pieces of equipment, one at a time. [My single stage shotgun loader occupies the same work location as my progressive shotgun loader and my progressive pistol reloader.] The only thing permanently mounted to my work surface is my single stage Rock Chucker press. Try to be aware of the functional ranges of motion of your equipment when determining its installation location so that you don't have any conflicts between the handles of varying pieces when mounted and in use. Remember to also make provisions for a few electric outlets. I have been "given" a 4'x8' area "closet" to work in, so optimal use of space was a necessity; but it has worked out great. I really have everything that I need in there. [And it's much better now than it was; the space used to double as a photography dark room for the wife and kids during HS and college photography classes. All that photo stuff has been retired since the move to digital photography and the kids married and move out.]

Here are a few pictures of my bench / loading room. Its at my old house on our property (nice and Quiet). Its above an old cellar house. My mother in law named it the Bull s--t shack. But we call it the bullet shack. The bench tops are doubled up 3/4 in. plywood that has polyurethane on it. Lee

Attachments

• IMG_0713.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_0715.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 809
Great lay out, Lee. That surely puts me to shame. I'm going to get motivated at this rate and rebuild my loading room. At the moment, I'm using a discarded work bench from the local high school. It works, but it is not pretty.

Thanks Scotty, Doc. I have been working on it for 12 years and still not finished. That is the Joy of having a dedicated reloading area. I spend alot of time reloading but also just sitting and drinking coffee with my Father inlaw, talking about reloading and what we will work on next. We also B.S. about past hunts. I figure thats how it got its name. Lee :mrgreen:

Oh lord, why'd y'all have to do this to me??? I been nice, ain't said no cuss words, ain't said no bad things about anyone........hell, I even take a bath every evening........and this is what I get.......

(digging thru lumber list, wondering can I still get 1" marine plywood..........wondering if I can convince my wife that I REALLY need a new reloading bench.......)

dragger201":18c1p8fp said:
Oh lord, why'd y'all have to do this to me??? I been nice, ain't said no cuss words, ain't said no bad things about anyone........hell, I even take a bath every evening........and this is what I get.......

(digging thru lumber list, wondering can I still get 1" marine plywood..........wondering if I can convince my wife that I REALLY need a new reloading bench.......)

Ha this is just the beginning buddy. I love this place but it doesn't save us any money!

SJB358":ek2hm9qp said:
I love this place but it doesn't save us any money!

"Saving money" was the initial justification I used to start reloading. That worked so well and I saved enough that I could afford more guns to reload for.................After about three months of that I just said to hell with it and decided I liked it and was gonna do more of it...........

I always enjoyed building my benches and was disappointed when I got done....because I was done. In 36 years I've built maybe a half dozen for myself.........and probably three times as many for friends/family. At least with the actually reloading, I could go shoot and then reload some more.........

:shock:

Wow, Lee. Wow.
Someday I hope to have an area half that size and half as nice. For now, I'll take the corner of the garage and like it. :mrgreen:

rquack, I like the idea of the under cabinet lights. I plan on building open shelves above my bench, but I could mount lights to them.

Lee, that is fantastic.

That gives me of an idea for a little project I need to work on--except I need a 30 x 60 foot insulated metal shed to start it in. 1/2 gym (squat rack, pullup bar, bench press, deadlift area), archery lane, reloading bench, work bench. If you put a kitchen out there my wife would have to have a corner just to see me once in a while.

You're a lucky man.

Yup I started reloading to save money too........and then it became a hobby beast all of its own. Lol.

Corey

Wow! There are some pretty nice loading benches/rooms etc. posted here. Mine's a pretty straight forward "home brewed" setup. I was fortunate to have some good friends that were remodeling their kitchen and had a set of very nice wall and base counter cabinets (oak) that they were removing and "donated" them to my cause. Another friend had a really nice solid oak 36" wide door that he was going to discard so I jumped onto that. The door is solidly mounted on top of the base cabinets. I mounted my Rockchucker press directly over the hole were the door knob mounts. Everything has worked out well with very little money spent. (I'm not cheap, just resourceful :mrgreen: ) The only thing wrong is the bench top height is too high for a regular chair. I have to build or purchase a high stool as a regular chair is too low. Hmmmmm? Stool? That reminds me, I have another friend who is remodeling his basement bar and will be replacing his bar stools.......Gotta go see him. The setup has worked out well for me. Time permitting, I'll try to get some photos posted.

Back