New rifle.

CAhunter

Beginner
Sep 10, 2009
Hey guys just got my rifle back from the smith. Its a 243AI with VX3 4.5-14BC. Can't wait to build some loads for it.

e98c0779.jpg

Sweet looking rifle. Any thoughts on what bullet you want to use?

CAhunter

Beautiful rifle, congratulations.
If I may ask, why the muzzle break? Will it allow you to see impacts through the scope?
Love that gray laminated stock, looks great with the SS barrel. My 280 AI is set up the same way. Tell us more about the barrel: manufacture, length, contour, etc.
Looking forward to your range reports.

JD338

The barrel is a factory contour 24". I bought the barrel new from a guy and he had the brake installed. The barrel was cut with a custom ptg no turn neck reamer. I do have a thread protector so I am planning on hunting without the brake. I have fired 6 rounds already and the rifle has almost no recoil with the brake. The rifle has a timney trigger and a Holland firing pin assembly. The lugs are lapped and the scope rings are lapped by me. The stock was bedded by me also.

CAhunter

Very nice man. With the brake on, can you see impacts through the scope?
My M700 VLS 22-250 is the lowest recoiling rifle I own. Only saw 1 impact through the scope, a woodchuck at around 250 yds. Pretty amazing sight.

JD338

I have shot several .24 and .25 and .26 calibre rifles that had a muzzle brake. It is fascinating to watch the bullets impact through the scope. Whilst I would not opt to put a muzzle brake on a rifle, it is nevertheless a fascinating option for those who want to see the bullet impact.

JD The recoil is pretty mild. I have just started shooting it but I suspect it will be easy to see impact. Its really amazing the felt recoil with the limbsaver pad and muzzlebrake. After load development I will start shooting it without the brake though.

Mike- Any suggestions on powders for the AI with 95gr VLD?

I would think medium slow to slow powders. Anything is burn rate between that of H414 to H4831, VN160, VN165, VN550, VN560, or RL19 would all be powders worth exploring. I recently loaded for a friend who built a 250 AI. I recommended similar powders for him.

CAhunter

As a rule of thumb, AI starting loads are the parent cartridge MAX loads.
Back in my 243 Win days, I had great luck with good 'ol IMR4350 and 95-100 gr bullets. My MAX load was 42.0 grs.

JD338

Nice looking rifle. I've had pretty good luck with IMR-4350 in the 243AI and I've been shooting alitttle IMR-4007SSC with 80/87gr bullets. Good caliber you'll have fun with it.

I have had great luck with Hybrid 100V when it was a 243Win. I now have enough brass fireformed in 243AI but not enough time to load and test!

Thanks POP. I think I just opened a new can of worms thought. It was very fun building the rifle and now I want to build another already. I guess I can live through my brother who is building a 6-06 right now.

Back