New Sierra bullets

Guy, agree completely on the Sierra Gameking bullets. I've poked a number of Elk with the 180 grain Gameking out of my .300WSM. I haven't had any run off yet. My .338RUM does a great job on Elk with the 225 Pro Hunter. Over the years I've used most of the bullets available for hunting and My leanings are towards either the Nosler Partition or the Sierra Gameking/Prohunter style. Again, The gameking has never let me down.

I did forget to mention that over the years my exclusive bullet for Deer Hunting was my 06 shooting 165 grain Gamekings. Recently I've bounced back and forth with the Deer bullets just to try something different but to be honest, you can't argue with success.

I ordered some 90 grain SGC's for my 240 Bee.

with a .490 BC I could not resist!

I want to try the 6mm version in my 240 but I can all but guarantee that I don't have the twist to take full advantage of that BC.

While there's no question Sierra has lagged behind other companies in product development, that might be changing.

Sierra was sold a year or so ago. I'm wondering (speculating) that perhaps the new owners may recognize the stagnation for what it is and are wanting to work towards breathing new life into their product line.

Just my .02.

Ron

While I've found their match bullets to be accurate I have not shot their Gamekings at deer in over 30 years.
One core/jacket separation was enough for me.

I think I'll stick with 165 NBTs in my 30 cals
130 ABs in my 6.5s and 140 ABs in my 7mms.

FOTIS":2uiky8jy said:

I'm interested in how accurate that .490 bc is. I've been shooting 105gr bullets with a .530 bc. I'm guessing the 90gr could be flung a good bit faster though.

desertcj":2b4dt82c said:
FOTIS":2b4dt82c said:

I'm interested in how accurate that .490 bc is. I've been shooting 105gr bullets with a .530 bc. I'm guessing the 90gr could be flung a good bit faster though.

The proof will come soon enough, but I would tend to believe Sierra.

Sierra has always been an interesting company... they tend to have very good quality control but their bullets are pretty much old school.

Old school works...most of the time.

I'm trying to understand their pricing on these. While they are cheaper than Accubonds and Partitions and similar premium hunting bullets...they aren't quite as cheap as conventional bullets like the SST, ELDX, BT, etc.

From a cost perspective, they're neither fish nor fowl....not a premium bullet, but not really an economy bullet either. While I've got a lot of respect for Sierra, I'm still trying to figure out where these fit in the marketplace.

hodgeman":zxsusut5 said:
Sierra has always been an interesting company... they tend to have very good quality control but their bullets are pretty much old school.

Old school works...most of the time.

I'm trying to understand their pricing on these. While they are cheaper than Accubonds and Partitions and similar premium hunting bullets...they aren't quite as cheap as conventional bullets like the SST, ELDX, BT, etc.

From a cost perspective, they're neither fish nor fowl....not a premium bullet, but not really an economy bullet either. While I've got a lot of respect for Sierra, I'm still trying to figure out where these fit in the marketplace.
Maybe they’re just a good old bc improvement over their old reliable designs, at a commensurate price-point. Pretty sure there’s nothing else to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the 90gr Sierra 100 of them at midway are $28.99, so 29 cents per bullet

Looking at the 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip 100 of them are $33.98, so 34 cents per bullet

$5 per box cheaper then Nosler 95's

The 165gr .308's are the same price as ballistic tips

The 165gr 7mms are cheaper than the 150 Ballistic Tips

Fotis, another very interested follower of your Pending work with those 6mm 90 gr GC s!
My 240 shoots the 87 VMax at 3425 with a stiff charge of IMR4831, from Nosler manual, and that s at .390 ish BC. If those 90 s really are .490 BC and hold together for game hunting that 240 Bee just 'grew up' a little more!! ( It d be flatter than my 257 Bee with 110 AB going 3400 fps!)

If anything, I love the fact that Sierra packages them in boxes of 100. Nosler’s box of 50 is a joke.

The Tipped Matchking is incredibly accurate in my 223..I ordered some of these to try out, and if the accuracy is on par with the tipped matchking, I'm going to use them on coyote and see how they perform.

I grew up just 90 miles from sedalia. We would go up on a Saturday and buy factory seconds by the pound. Then dad would give me an Emory board and a nail clipper to clean them up. Most just had excess lead tip protruding or jacket burrs. They have ALWAYS been a great bullet, and very accurate in my rifles. Mostly 30 cal back then and the stubby 150gr SBT GK did the trick on many a Missouri whitetail. I am very interested in the .264 130gr . BC of .510 is only beaten by the 129 ABLR and the 130 Swift Sirocco II. at .561 and 571 respectively.

Tracking # says I should get the 243 90 gr on Monday

I've always thought that Sierra's quality control, both in their attention to jacket thickness and concentricity has contributed to highly accurate bullets. I was a Hornady fan long before ever using Noslers or Sierras, but have pretty much switched to shooting mostly Sierra's and Noslers. The Sierras and Noslers consistently out shoot the Hornadys in most of my guns.

The other thing I've really liked about almost all Sierras I've tried and Nosler BT's is how easy they have been to develop loads for. I just don't have the time or easy access to a shooting range that I'd like. While I love my 140 gr AccuBond 280 load, it was a bit of a struggle to get it to shoot well at first. I think developing that load is what lead me to this forum years ago and how I learned to back the bonded bullets off the lands.

I'm looking forward to loading the new Sierra in my 270. I will report how they do when I get a chance to try them out.

Back