New Sierra bullets

BretN, that 270 140 is the other bullet of their recent announcement that caught my eye... other than 150 Berger most 270 bullets in low to mid .4 s as far as BC.

Maybe this will get a few more bullet manufacturers competing for 270 fans. I guess Hornady did release that 145 elf-x ... but still minimal high BC choices. I second the friendly tuning of Sierra s bullets ... hopefully the GC s retained that!

Keep us posted.

Wincheringen":sqtilcql said:
I can't say I'm excited enough about them to buy any, however it is good to have options.

I agree it's certainly good to have options and to see manufactures stepping up and producing different bullets. I have to admit, that 130gr .264 is interesting no doubt and would probably work well in my daughters .260. However, she loves the 120gr Pro Hunter and it's performance on deer has been excellent for her so it would be hard to convince her to try something else.

As for me, i shoot a 25.06 and don't see any offerings in .257 so i couldn't try them if i wanted too. I am interested to see the feedback on these bullets once they get out in the field. Mike

Glad Sierra is trying some new stuff. Honestly they been doing just fine with their matchking, gameking, and pro hunter forever. They may not have the ultra high BC of some newer bullets, but all Sierra I’ve ever shot has been so easy to tune. Also the most consistent lot to lot variation of any 6.5 bullets I’ve tried. I shoot a lot of different bullets, so I never stick with one manufacture, but matchkings I know always shoot good. Right now I’m on a 140 nosler custom competition kick in my 6.5 CM. Really liking this bullet it seems almost identical to the old 140 matchking. Easy to tune and easy to hit the lands and feed through the magazine. I’m trying to talk one of my brothers into trying these new game changers though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankm":r45j6r1j said:
BretN, that 270 140 is the other bullet of their recent announcement that caught my eye... other than 150 Berger most 270 bullets in low to mid .4 s as far as BC.

Maybe this will get a few more bullet manufacturers competing for 270 fans. I guess Hornady did release that 145 elf-x ... but still minimal high BC choices. I second the friendly tuning of Sierra s bullets ... hopefully the GC s retained that!

Keep us posted.

Been thinking,hoping,the same thing. The 145 ELD-X doesn't perform well in my Tikka at mag length. Maybe seated out a little longer. No point in my mind being a hunting rifle. I just have to wonder if the Game Changer won't suffer similarly. Bullets that carry their weight out more to the tip drill the nicest little groups from this rifle. If these were 130 grain,I'd have ordered a box to try. Just never got hooked on the 140 grain 270. Like everyone else,Sierra has been a solid performer for me over the years. Never met a rifle that wouldn't group old school Game Kings well.

Length of the 6mm bullet is 1. 161

Fotis, get those 90 grain Bee Stingers yet?

I m anxious to hear about your load workups, jump tolerance, accuracy and most importantly how the BC appears to hold up on some long distance shooting!!

I do wonder if the new, tipped Sierras, are going to over-expand. I hope not.

Nosler's Ballistic Tip has a rather heavy jacket, and a very thick, strong base... I don't know that Sierra's bullet jacket is that stout.

Guy

I bet they will be good deer killers and they can’t be worse than a Hornady ELD.

Guy, penetration will be interesting on these. Hopefully folks who get them early will do some jug tests for all to see. I agree with SJB358 though that at minimum these will most likely be excellent Deer Bullets.

frankm":31a2u357 said:
Guy, penetration will be interesting on these. Hopefully folks who get them early will do some jug tests for all to see. I agree with SJB358 though that at minimum these will most likely be excellent Deer Bullets.

Ya, I like fast-expanding bullets for deer. Put that bullet in the heart/lung area and let it expand/fragment inside all it can. Drops those critters quickly! That's probably why I like the Berger VLD for deer, as well as the Nosler Ballistic Tip. Quick kills & accurate too.

Will be interesting to read how the new, tipped Sierras do in the hunting fields this fall.

Some yo-yo will likely slam one into the shoulder of a bull elk at warp factor 7, and then complain that the bullet failed... Sigh...

Guy

frankm":1mrloy3z said:

I m anxious to hear about your load workups, jump tolerance, accuracy and most importantly how the BC appears to hold up on some long distance shooting!!

In the mailbox today. Hopefully will shoot them this weekend in the 240 Bee.

By the way, I was a little disappointed to find out from them that the bullet they shot in the video above was from a 284 Winchester and it struck the bone and ballistic gel at a mere 2500 fps. It did well but most bullets would at 2500 fps. :cry:

FOTIS":svg27402 said:
frankm":svg27402 said:

In the mailbox today. Hopefully will shoot them this weekend in the 240 Bee.

By the way, I was a little disappointed to find out from them that the bullet they shot in the video above was from a 284 Winchester and it struck the bone and ballistic gel at a mere 2500 fps. It did well but most bullets would at 2500 fps. :cry:

Well, like the others, I am glad they expand well at 2500, I'd like to see them at 2000 and 1800 as well. I am with Guy, if you are shooting high BC bullets, you probably aren't starting them out at 3400 FPS either. Most guys are running mild stuff that starts em out at 3000 or slower and utilizes the BC and turrets on the scope to make hits at distance.

Luckily, we have a few decently, tough bullets like the AccuBond, ABLR's, LRX's and similar for those Lb of powder per shot guys (FOTIS)!

I'd still venture a guess that most people, to include me don't outshoot a plain old Partition in the distances we shoot to really NEED the BC. Nice to have and feel comfortable, but need it?

I think if you're busting bull elk leg bones, you'd better bring the right bullets. Over the last few years I have seen Partitions, Accubonds, Swift Scirocco's and similar get chewed on pretty well and still make it to the far side. I would NEVER expect a Sierra or even a light Ballistic Tip do it. High on the scapula is one thing, but the big ball joints are murder on anything less than a tough bullet that'll stay together.

lol pound of powder per shot! Sounds about right though.

FOTIS":2roic7vd said:
lol pound of powder per shot! Sounds about right though.

Totally kidding, but I like fast stuff to, but I don't actually believe it lets me kill anymore animals than I could with a plain old 270 or 280 shooting great bullets and using a great scope. Us old dino's running the big jugged beasts love FPS, but there is something to the soft shooting little 6.5 CM's and such.. They do make hitting incredibly easy and since they aren't scorching the Earth with the bullets most decent ones tend to act pretty good...

The "most" I ever shot was 134 gr of H870 with a 300 gr Hornady RN in my 378 Bee. That was pleasant at 3030 fps and......6k+ foot pounds of energy. LOL

FOTIS":26fl4r8s said:
The "most" I ever shot was 134 gr of H870 with a 300 gr Hornady RN in my 378 Bee. That was pleasant at 3030 fps and......6k+ foot pounds of energy. LOL

THAT is WICKED!

That would have been a cool jug test!

FOTIS":20cypsd5 said:

PERFECT deer & varmint load... (y)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: You guys.......

Back