New Sierra bullets

frankm":29re4e9j said:
I think you re right about a 10 twist being a little slow but with 3400+ fps of velocity out of my 240 hopefully that rpm will get them to work and realize majority of rated BC.

Fotis playing with some right now and I believe he s got a 10 twist. Will be interesting!

The BC for my hunting conditions is compromised 10%, placing you in the .440's. E-mailed Sierra about it, which they swear it will stabilize in a 10 down to 2200 ft/s (y) I will agree that it may still shoot accurately but you are not getting all the benefit of it. There are a lot of 10 twist barrels out there and depending on the hunting conditions, even the 9 folks can be compromised pretty fast.

My 9.125" twist shoots 105gr bullets lights out at 100yds, even pretty good at 550yds(3"?), I tried it at 1050yds a while back and only managed to hit my 12" going once out of 20 shots! Impacts were just random all around the plate. Very close, but not hits. That could just be me, or it could have had something to do with the marginal twist with the 105gr bullets?

Desertcj... I shoot 105 AMax at 3000 fps in my 26" 243 VLS... have had hits to 1100 yds in our clubs off range LR shoot. 600 to 800 yds nearly automatic as long as not real strong winds. Recently shot some 4" plates at 640 yds at a friends ranch. Misses were typically 3-4 inches and usually left/right. Shooting over a couple draws where wind swirls, etc.

Erikc838, what velocity were you shooting the 90 gr GC s at or was it a calculator at this point? I ve not seen the bullets in any stores here; just Midway on line.

I do know elevation, temperature etc all play into bullet stability too... I m at 2800 feet but most my hunting is done at 5,000 + ft. Hopeful the GC will work and keep most of that BC rating ....

frankm":1vr2mc25 said:
Desertcj... I shoot 105 AMax at 3000 fps in my 26" 243 VLS... have had hits to 1100 yds in our clubs off range LR shoot. 600 to 800 yds nearly automatic as long as not real strong winds. Recently shot some 4" plates at 640 yds at a friends ranch. Misses were typically 3-4 inches and usually left/right. Shooting over a couple draws where wind swirls, etc.

Erikc838, what velocity were you shooting the 90 gr GC s at or was it a calculator at this point? I ve not seen the bullets in any stores here; just Midway on line.

I do know elevation, temperature etc all play into bullet stability too... I m at 2800 feet but most my hunting is done at 5,000 + ft. Hopeful the GC will work and keep most of that BC rating ....

It was a calculation

I have a 9 1/8th twist ina 24in .243. Will these stabilize in that? I can’t find the 6mm 90gr accubonds so might as well try these.

I would think they d stabilize. I have a 26" VLS R.E.M. 700 in 243 with the 9 1/8 twist and it shoots 105 AMax at 3000 fps fine. I ve shot steel to 1000 yds with it. The 90 GC is slightly shorter length and 15 grs lighter ( thus it ll have more velocity) so give it a whirl!

Keep us posted... I m interested to start seeing people's results.

The Berger calculator is saying a 1 in 8 twist is ideal. Will probably work in a 9 twist I'd say...

Back