new stock comin' ...

Kodiak

Handloader
Oct 4, 2006
Over this winter, I will drop-off a Remington 700 LA @ the g'smith for a hunting-weight re-barrel job. I have chosen the 7MM RUM caliber. I am not sure which synthetic after-market stock to use but I plan to have it colored in a light grey or tan.

What is a favorite stock manufacturer of shooters here?

Thanks,

Jim, I've become a big fan of the B&C Medalists as well. Aluminum bedding block, good choices for color and they have a great fit for me.

Congrats on that 7 RUM. What a beast! Scotty

I've got three different aftermarket stocks by HS Precision, Bell & Carlson, and McMillan.

I'd put McMillan at the top of the heap for quality, and for the ability to order it just the way you want the stock set up - length of pull, weight of fill, location & type of the sling swivel studs, type of recoil pad, and of course the color. McMillan also has an impressive number of different styles of stocks from which to choose, from lightweight sporter stocks to big, heavy, competition stocks. Some McMillan stocks are avail with pillar bedding from the factory. As my rifle was destined for competition, I had a great Washington gunsmith glass bed mine.

The HS Precision stock has worked out real well for me, and I used a rifle so equipped for deer hunting this year. They advertise a "drop in" fit on that aluminum bedding block. I've had mixed results. One rifle fit it perfectly, another stock/rifle combo (the one I used this year) had to be bedded to cure a shifting zero problem. You may or may not need to bed the rifle to the stock with the HS Precision stock.

My only B&C stock is on my old Model of 1917 .30-06 rifle and although it was by far the least expensive, it is a good basic stock. I did have to do a little bedding to get it to fit perfectly, no big deal.

Take your time, select what you want. I will mention that over on 24 Hour Campfire, there's a Christmas sale on McMillans right now.

Regards, Guy

It's no big secret that I'm a big fan of McMillans. I have ten right now, one on order, and I wouldn't put it past me to order one or two when I'm home for Christmas. A ton of profile choices (I have Classic, Sporter, Mountain Rifle, KS, A-3, and A-3 Sporter for Remingtons, a Winchester Supergrade, and a Sako Classic for my Winchester and Howa). And you can get them in purple.

DSC_7201.jpg

DSC_6948.jpg

DSC_6111.jpg

DSC_5745.jpg

DSC_2997.jpg

Did I mention you can get them in purple?

BK, the purple is cool 8) , I'll most likely choose a different color, sorry .

Thanks for the info guys. Now I've got several choices for my new stock.

And, I may choose a different case size than the one first mentioned.

Jim

Kodiak":f0xpslg5 said:
BK, the purple is cool 8) , I'll most likely choose a different color, sorry .

Thanks for the info guys. Now I've got several choices for my new stock.

And, I may choose a different case size than the one first mentioned.

Jim

Jim, what are you thinking for a different case?

I say Bill's (Elkman's) 7 STW, and was pretty impressed. That seems like a horse of a case as well. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Scotty

If you want a truly 'Custom Stock' call Joel Russo. He makes custom stocks that are real nice.

Jim,

The 7mm RUM is an impressive round, shooting the 160 gr AB at 3300+ fps. That is a flat shooting hard hitting round without excessive recoil.
What cartridge are you thinking?

JD338

Russo's stocks are assuredly handsome. He does pay attention to detail.

As to the choice of calibers, well ... it'll be the 7 STW or the afore-mentioned 7 RUM.

And I have spoke with Joel Russo in the past about stocks,

But the McMillian stocks may be the way for me to go this time.

Looking forward to gettin' started. More details later, and thanks for the advice,

Kodiak":3jmw4oz2 said:
As to the choice of calibers, well ... it'll be the 7 STW or the afore-mentioned 7 RUM.

I have spoke with Joel Russo in the past about stocks.

The McMillian stocks may be the way for me to go this time.

Looking forward to gettin' started. More details later, and thanks for the advice,

Both are awesome! Can't wait to hear the details! Scotty

Kodiak":j3pgh16y said:
BK, the purple is cool 8) , I'll most likely choose a different color, sorry

That's fine. I kinda like being the only guy with a pile of purple stocks around here. :)

Kurt,

Most people would buy a safe! I guess it is one way of keeping your rifles from being stolen. :mrgreen:

DrMike":3dxgdlkt said:
Kurt,

Most people would buy a safe! I guess it is one way of keeping your rifles from being stolen. :mrgreen:

DrMike is definitely on tonight :lol:

DrMike, he lives in Southern California! He better have a safe or the Thought Control Police will come to his house no matter if his stocks are purple or not!

Nah, I just work in the Land of Fruits and Nuts. My home is in, uh, the Land of Fruits and Nuts North, also known as Western Oregon.

And Mike, the homies think them purple stocks are the shizzle, yo! Don't be frontin' my Barney stocks!

Well, I confess that I've never seen a real Barney rifle. Aren't Barneys endangered? Even in the land of fruits and nuts, I'd think that he would be protected by the thought police! :shock:

Just got this B&C Tactical Medalist A5 for the 243 AI. It needs to be bedded and floated but still a good stock for the money. My Sendero has an H&S and had to skim bed that one.

14AD42DD.jpg

Back