New winchester triggers

Aug 2, 2005
Cannot get a 7x57 but found a new Mod 70 Featherweight in 7MM08 for $739...

Anyone familiar with the new Winnie trigger? Browning told me their X bolt trigger bottoms out at 3 lbs for safety sake...Cuz I found an incredible deal on a new 2013 X bolt walnut in .270 for $659! :twisted:

I know where one of them 7X57's is in a store I can get you contact info if you want it. And it's running $729

Yes it's adjustable just gotta remove the glue I'm not sure what you can drop it to with the screw I just swapped springs. Erniethegunsmith.com if I recall right.

I also have two of the FN Model 70s. They lack the simple elegance of the previous trigger, and I haven't put a scale on either one, but they are plenty comfortable for me with a simple adjustment to the pull weight screw. I'd guess them at around 2.5-3 lbs.

If either the 7-08 or 7x57 are on your list, a new Featherweight would get my vote. Happy shopping! :)

I have four of the new Winchesters; I like the new triggers. They function quite well for me at between 2.5 and 3 pounds pull.

My Extreme Weather has never been adjusted, as it came out of the box pretty light and clean, and I gave up on digging that crud out of the screw heads.

My SuperGrade came fairly stiff, so I dug the crap out and adjusted it until the screw came out, then put it back in a turn and a half and painted it with some of my wife's nail polish. I don't have a gauge, but I'd guess it's still slightly north of 3lbs.

As was mentioned, springs are available online to help lower the pull weight if desired.

I like the feel of the new trigger system, but I sorely miss the simplicity and open design of the old style. For most shooters, however, the MOA trigger will provide good service.

I have noticed mine isn't as tight as I'd like it. You can get a little play out of the housing. Not like the 3 piece Pre-64 or classic trigger talk about something an engineer did right.

appreciate the input guys...
I am going to take a trip Tuesday to a couple little shops in Minnesota... One has the 70 Flwt in .257 Roberts, the other has one in 7mm08, both for around $750. But I will be sorely tempted
to buy the close out 2013 X bolt Hunter walnut for $659 in .270 Win... :roll:
I did find a new Conquest Duralyt 3x9x40 z plex for $459 :grin: That's what going on whichever I end up with...

I can't imagine you will be disappointed in any of the chamberings, and the rifles will function quite well, I have no doubt. The Duralyte will serve you well on any of those rifles.

I put an Ernie's the gunsmith trigger spring in mine. Pulls a very consistent 2.7lbs. I don't like the MOA as much as the old triggers but they are still very good.

Back