Next Hunting rifle thoughts?

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I have a 22-250 (wonderful crusher of Varmints)
I have a Black savage 30.06 which is startlingly accurate with 'hand loads' (normal things you guys do, headspace mgt, flash hole, neck sizing, sorted cases (haven't measure case volumes yet). It really does anything I "need")(deer and black bear).
I am wanting something with more go that is a dream for hand loaders. I don't want a gun that is unfriendly to loaders, i.e. Short magazines...not sure what I think about belted mags. I'm thinking 308 or 338 diameters. 338 Laupa? 300 WSM, would consider something similar. Probably not a Wby 30-378. Not trying to maximize spend. Want to maximize fun, and set myself up for future trips to fun remote places, moose, elk, caribou, maybe Brown bear, don't think my knees could handle goats or Dahl sheep... thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of cool choices but a Model 70 in a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag with a longer magazine box installed is a very user friendly rifle with ample room to seat your bullets out on the rifling. I wouldn't worry about a belted cartridge at all if you like the rifle. They work and will probably outlast all of us.

The same M70 in the 270, 7mm and 300 WSM is a good set up as well.

You may not have what you want, but you have what you need. Your "startingly accurate" 30-06 will work on anything you will hunt in NA. Moreover, it is "a dream for hand loaders." It is more than adequate for moose, elk, caribou and even for brown bear.

Something that is sexy and exciting is determined by your own definition. You're thinking of something that is .308 or .338 caliber, but why not toss a .323 caliber into the mix? The 8X68S is sufficiently out of the norm for NA that it is sure to generate interest whenever you bring it out. The 325 WSM is accurate and hits hard when loaded with 200 grain PT (my bias for this cartridge). The 8mm Rem Magnum is seldom seen in the field any more, making it somewhat exciting. In .308, the sky is the limit on what one can use. I have a 300 WSM, and it is a dream to load and use. I've worked up loads for well over thirty rifles chambered in this particular cartridge; each was easy to tame. The .300 Win Mag is well known and excellent. The .308 Norma Magnum is easy to work with and packs a punch. Then, there are all the excellent .338 caliber cartridges. Some people find the 338 Lapua to be a bit much to handle from the bench, but I've worked up loads for several and found it to be a great cartridge. The 338-06 is often overlooked as an accurate and potent cartridge. I should imagine your own interest will direct your choice. It will be fun to watch your ruminations and eventual choice. I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to rid myself of that fine 30-06, however.

For the largest of North America, it would be hard to find fault in a .338 Win Mag. Has a reputation for accuracy, available in many rifles, plenty of thump.

If you're looking for "cool factor," a 9.3x62 in a nice mauser would be an interesting choice, but bullet selection would be somewhat limited.

For more bullet availability, the .358 Norma Mag is a very cool old powerhouse. Originally handicapped by the actions it was spec'd for, in an M1917 or true magnum action with the bullets seated out longer and proper throat, it would be a very interesting one to play with.

Polaris":3bt7w5sb said:
For the largest of North America, it would be hard to find fault in a .338 Win Mag. Has a reputation for accuracy, available in many rifles, plenty of thump.

If you're looking for "cool factor," a 9.3x62 in a nice mauser would be an interesting choice, but bullet selection would be somewhat limited.

For more bullet availability, the .358 Norma Mag is a very cool old powerhouse. Originally handicapped by the actions it was spec'd for, in an M1917 or true magnum action with the bullets seated out longer and proper throat, it would be a very interesting one to play with.

Polaris, I love all of your choices. I'll throw the 35 Newton out there as well.... great picks Polaris.

You guys are convincing me I should be thinking next half dozen rifles! [emoji1].
I appreciate the comments about belted mags. One of my locals kinda poo-poohed them, but the USArmy snipers love them.., and a bunch of other rounds

Ya, those terrible belted mag cartridge cases have been around since about 1912... Just awful things to deal with... :) Never had any problem dealing with the belt, in fact, it's pretty "invisible" during the loading process. Just size the brass normally. I like to make sure the cartridge is using the shoulder, not the belt, for headspace, but that's a tiny adjustment of the sizing die.

Anymore the only belted magnum I load is the .375 H&H, and I thoroughly enjoy loading and shooting that cartridge.

I like your search for your next rifle. Have fun! I'd put selecting the rifle you really want, ahead of the cartridge... Look at all of them. Buy yourself something special. A nice Model 70 Winchester, a Nosler rifle, a SAKO? Something really cool.

Regards, Guy

After all, your very accurate .30-06 Savage is fully capable of handling any big game in North America... So make your next rifle something really cool.

Or, save the money that you'd spend on the new rifle, scope, loading dies, components... And put it towards one of those hunts you want to do. Just use your proven .30-06 rifle!

:)

Guy Miner":3qn0v6f2 said:
After all, your very accurate .30-06 Savage is fully capable of handling any big game in North America... So make your next rifle something really cool.

Or, save the money that you'd spend on the new rifle, scope, loading dies, components... And put it towards one of those hunts you want to do. Just use your proven .30-06 rifle!

Excellent advice.

I'm not a big fan of recoil, so if I were looking at a .338 caliber option, I wouldn't look much further than the 338 Federal, or the .338-06.

You could just satisfy your loading bug by getting into Palma, F-class or NRA with a 6.5 or 6 by something and keep killing game with your .30-06 as well. That will keep you busy at the loading bench for sure! Yeah, before anyone swats me, I know Palma is a .308 game. Just threw it out there.

No kidding. When I was doing a fair bit of NRA rifle competition, I was handloading and shooting a LOT.

Guy

You know, the F class is something I had not considered. I have access to a range with 100, 200, 300, and 600 yard ranges. I pretty much stay on the 100-300 ranges. Here's one of my 30.06 targets. The first four shot group with my favorite hunting round, [emoji37]you'll be able to see I do know how to pull a shot.
4993be95c00514f8f89fef5d79e20f66.jpg
81be6643dbaa155ab73d2eab995436be.jpg

mjcmichigan":2zoxbr44 said:
You know, the F class is something I had not considered. I have access to a range with 100, 200, 300, and 600 yard ranges. I pretty much stay on the 100-300 ranges. Here's one of my 30.06 targets. The first four shot group with my favorite hunting round, [emoji37]you'll be able to see I do know how to pull a shot.
4993be95c00514f8f89fef5d79e20f66.jpg
81be6643dbaa155ab73d2eab995436be.jpg

Work up a 168 HPBT and see what your good ol' '06 will do at 600 yards. Curious what bullet that is, looks like a "30-30" style 150 grain?

My brain went two ways. 7mmRM or 338WM. If elk and moose are in the future I would go with the 338WM personally. So many cool rounds that you will never own them all, but the guys here will help you spend your money so be careful.

If you wanted to get into competition shooting, Ruger and Savage both offer reasonably priced rifles, specifically for target competition...

Guy

Since you said you were not a big fan of recoil, how about the 338 RCM? I've never seen one and have never looked at ammo or talked to anyone that has shot one. If you're going to hand load for it you don't have to squeeze every last ounce of speed out of it so you can make it recoil manageable. Might be a fun one to play around with???

1) that's a Hornady 3035, which is your basic 308 round nose Interlock.
2) I think someone else brought up recoil. I'm not sensitive to it.
3) liking the suggestions I'm seeing.

1) that's a Hornady 3035, which is your basic 308 round nose Interlock.
2) I think someone else brought up recoil. I'm not sensitive to it.
3) liking the suggestions I'm seeing.

DrMike":1wdb8040 said:
Guy Miner":1wdb8040 said:

Excellent advice.

Yup- spendd the money on a hunt for you, or some one who you will enjoy seeing do well. If you want a rifle sounds to me like you should find one that fits you special and is something beautiful to your eye. Have you looked at any of the Nosler heritage rifles.... :) (PLUG) They are really something nice.

Otherwise, if competition is in your future- a rifle like this one, is like a T-bird, sexy even sitting still :)

CL

Back