Next Hunting rifle thoughts?

Well I have a wonderfully accurate 06. I turned my 8mm Remington into a .338 Jarrett. Nothing quite like a 250 grain AccuBond at 2950. Love my 375 HH.
Why not a .358 STA. that would be an attention getter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well. I've been quiet this evening as I spent it reading and heading to Jays sporting goods in Clare. They have a great selection of new and used. I think I'm over my earlier concern about belted mags. Of course I found a couple interesting.

I've thought about possibly a Kimber, Browning, Remington. I was surprised to find the Kimber line up at Jays. I hadn't realized they don't have a built in magazine. Eyeballing it, the mag looked generous. browning, the model I looked at was a 6.5 Creedmore, the mag was molded. It looked really tight. I know I like good triggers, so yes had work done on the savage as it's a little older than the accutriggers they have now.

You guys know the stuff I want to learn. Jezzolo, a 30 Nosler was the first thing that got my attention. Salmonchaser, I'd love to know how you took the 8mm and made it a 338 Jarrett. So not only are a bunch of you excellent reloaders, you're also wildcatters and part gunsmiths too.

Wisconsin teacher, lol, I see your point!

I did notice the mag long actions vs short or non-mag actions.

CL, thank you for the picture of that competition beauty!

Since I started this thread, I'm realizing, "next" will be followed by another "next".

One friend says, guns are like friends. If you know how many you have, you don't have enough!

I appreciate everyone's comments, thoughts and suggestions. I'll ask more questions and keep reading this forum.

I'll let you know what I get. I'm normally slow on these things. When I got my 1911, it took months. I guess that kind of shopping...I enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see I typed junk when talking on the Kimber. I meant to say, the mag is built in. It's not detachable. I typed the opposite. Was wondering if detachable are easier to work on than built in if it's too short. I made some 223 Rem loads for a coyote hunting friend. It was a Vanguard. The mag was a little short for what I need to load closer to the lands. Also he wanted 55gn fragmentary rounds, but had a 1:12 twist so it was hard to make it come together. He discovered VMax in 40gn do the job on Yotes and the vanguard loves them

Well I like guns so there is the problem? For the hunting you are talking about if recoil isn't a big problem?
338 rum, 338 win, 300 rum!, 300 win or 7mm. All of these will reach way out there, the rum's have some wow factor. However I have a good friend in AK that has killed all the big animals up there with a Remington 700 in 30-06 so I would just get what ever you really like! Have fun buying guns is Fun!

Jon

Buy a 35 Whelen!! Doesn't kick like a magnum, has lots of power. Bullet selection is 180-250 depending on bullet manufacturer selected. Easy to reload. Components are reasonable in price.

Love my 30-06 but my 35 Whelen has a special place in my heart! You would not be disappointed in this caliber!! :wink:

Don

Great call P.
They sell it in a package to with a Nightforce on it. That'd be a neat package.
Nosler was selling their rifles with a Nightforce package also if I remember correctly? That would also be a sweet setup with a few more cartridge options available.

Polaris":2qwjsyy5 said:
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-ultimate-hunting-rifle-300-win-mag-110/

Here you go. A magnum mauser 98 with a fine Turkish walnut stock. Add an adjustable trigger if needed and a quality glass bed and you're good to go. 300WM will do the trick.

A sweet setup, for sure. As has been noted by Wincheringen, "They are all judged against the 300 Winchester Magnum for a reason."

Polaris":237gpfvp said:
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-ultimate-hunting-rifle-300-win-mag-110/

Here you go. A magnum mauser 98 with a fine Turkish walnut stock. Add an adjustable trigger if needed and a quality glass bed and you're good to go. 300WM will do the trick.

Very nice suggestion!

Wincheringen":37v2rwyo said:
They are all judged against the 300 Winchester Magnum for a reason. ;) That's my suggestion.

Yep! I think I'm close to there on the 300wm, but think the Whelan and 338' are in the running for what comes after that!

If there was ever a plug for the 35 Whelen, it's easy to make brass from the '06 brass.

MJC
It was easy. I shipped the mdl 700 in 8mm Remington to one of Jarretts gunsmiths. About a year later they sent it back.
A paucity of 8mm Remington brass has forced me to fire form .375 HH cases, my only frustration.
I only have 3 to 5 guns that will never be for sale, she is one of them.
Have fun.

The 338-06 is a cool "06" based case. Super easy to load for. I had a TC Encore with a 24" barrel. Velocities with a 200 gr NAB was 2750. I now have a Ruger Compact Mag in 338 RCM which throws the 200 gr close to 2700 fps. I killed a few elk with both of them, and they work really well.
Recoil from either one is fairly stiff...although, I would rather shoot them than a .300 WM! The WM to me is a sharp jab, where the .338's are a heavy thump. I feel the same way about the .338 WM, as I have shot identical rifles in the .300 and the .338, and I prefer the .338 because of the recoil impulse.

At the range I usually get someone coming over to see what I am shooting when I have the Compact mag out. From what they tell me the report is deep and loud...read interesting!
Oddly enough, I always ask if they would like to shoot it and they turn me down every time.

As an aside, when I was 15, my dad got me an m77 Ruger in 7mm RM. This was the only rifle I had...and it was magic. I do not recall ever missing a deer, or coyote, or nutria with it.
The ole "beware of the one gun man" saying comes to mind. And with an "06" that shoots like yours. I'm thinking the same thing.

Cheers,
D

salmonchaser":15qglagw said:
MJC
It was easy. I shipped the mdl 700 in 8mm Remington to one of Jarretts gunsmiths. About a year later they sent it back.
A paucity of 8mm Remington brass has forced me to fire form .375 HH cases, my only frustration.
I only have 3 to 5 guns that will never be for sale, she is one of them.
Have fun.

[emoji1] you are reminding me of a guy I bought a Olympic quality O/U from, her name was/is Lizzie. He said she's easy and comfortable. All his guns get girl names. I can't say I'm that way with my guns, but I do call Lizzie by her name.

You guys are helping me understand how wildcatters can do stuff....

I'll start a couple new threads. Thank you!

...I'm going to repeat what Dr. Mike said, "Look @ the .325 WSM". I prefer the 220gr. Sierra SBT @ 2800fps (Winchester 220gr. 'factory' is rated @ 2840fps), putting it right on the heels of the .338WM, w/ about 20% less felt recoil & 30% less muzzle blast. Most of the data is fairly 'mild', but powders like RL-17, 23, & 26 make her shine...

I like the .325, though I've only fired one. Definitely less recoil than a 338wm

salmonchaser":1c708k5d said:
I like the .325, though I've only fired one. Definitely less recoil than a 338wm

I noticed the .325 WSM in my Nosler manual last night. I'm carving up 3 deer, should be grinding soon. I do have some questions...

My 325 WSM has accounted for multiple moose, elk and whitetails. I've come to respect it as one of the finest, though most overlooked rounds in the WSM lineup.

Back