Next Hunting rifle thoughts?

salmonchaser":1hx43xgj said:
I like the .325, though I've only fired one. Definitely less recoil than a 338wm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed the .325 WSM in my Nosler manual last night. I'm carving up 3 deer, should be grinding soon. I do have some questions...

In considering your question and the animals that you mentioned, my first inclination was to recommend the 338 Win Mag, with either the 338-06 or 35 Whelen as solid recommendations if you prefer a rifle using the same action and parent case (as you can either use new brass or have fun necking up your old 06 cases). Your inclusion of the brown bear begs for larger calibers than 30, with heavier bullets. (Your 30-06 with 200 or 220 gr bullets would be the recommended minimum for that critter)

Other good recommendations were the 9.3x62 or the new 30 Nosler. If recoil is not an issue, the new 33 Nosler would be another great choice. The 358 Norma and 9.3x64 Brenneke are also great choices with the cool factor thrown in. Brass is just harder to find everywhere.

mjcmichigan":mhl82f15 said:
salmonchaser":mhl82f15 said:
MJC
It was easy. I shipped the mdl 700 in 8mm Remington to one of Jarretts gunsmiths. About a year later they sent it back.
A paucity of 8mm Remington brass has forced me to fire form .375 HH cases, my only frustration.
I only have 3 to 5 guns that will never be for sale, she is one of them.
Have fun.

[emoji1] you are reminding me of a guy I bought a Olympic quality O/U from, her name was/is Lizzie. He said she's easy and comfortable. All his guns get girl names. I can't say I'm that way with my guns, but I do call Lizzie by her name.

You guys are helping me understand how wildcatters can do stuff....

I'll start a couple new threads. Thank you!

When you start naming your rifles .... you got to keep them from finding out about the other girl...just don't tell Aggie...

(short for aggravation) She's pretty, Some times she's sweet, and some times a PITA. :)

325WSM, 33Nosler, 35Whelen, 375H&H.
My 325WSM has taken more animals than any other rifle in my safe. Working on the 33Nosler and 35Whelen both on Win 70s. I have a 375 barrel in the closet waiting for an inspiration. Any of the above would finish out your top end very well.
Scott

cloverleaf":23uv6dik said:
mjcmichigan":23uv6dik said:
salmonchaser":23uv6dik said:
MJC
It was easy. I shipped the mdl 700 in 8mm Remington to one of Jarretts gunsmiths. About a year later they sent it back.
A paucity of 8mm Remington brass has forced me to fire form .375 HH cases, my only frustration.
I only have 3 to 5 guns that will never be for sale, she is one of them.
Have fun.

[emoji1] you are reminding me of a guy I bought a Olympic quality O/U from, her name was/is Lizzie. He said she's easy and comfortable. All his guns get girl names. I can't say I'm that way with my guns, but I do call Lizzie by her name.

You guys are helping me understand how wildcatters can do stuff....

I'll start a couple new threads. Thank you!

When you start naming your rifles .... you got to keep them from finding out about the other girl...just don't tell Aggie...

(short for aggravation) She's pretty, Some times she's sweet, and some times a PITA. :)

Wish we had a like button!

I think I've decided on a 300 win mag. Still possible for me to do an 8mm, 325 WSM, 338 something, 35 whelan, most likely on of those others would follow the Win mag.
I like the idea of learning how to handle the belted Mags for Accuracy. I follow the hunting pics you guys post...you're killing me. So many hunts of a lifetime (HOL). I've got a friend who ordered a Wby Accumark V in a 30-378. Telling him, he's got to learn to reload. It will come in March. I've been showing him the hunting pics you guys post...
Thank you for educating me on so many fun Options!

There's a lot to like about a .300 Win magnum. I used one for several years.

Also, there was a period of time when it was one of the favored cartridges for 1,000 yard prone competition. It, along with several other similar .30 cal magnums.

The cartridge is capable of excellent accuracy, and certainly has the punch necessary to hunt any big game in North America.

Looking forward to progress reports!

Guy

elkhunternm":2x9i5b7c said:
Mjcmichigan,have you given thought about a .338 RUM?

Yes, and the 300 RUM. Is it easier to get brass for the 338 RUM?

Have to admit, Remington not making 300 RUM, makes buying a new RUM a bit dicey. I do like the idea of being able to get components. Going to look into annealing. I take it you have some RUM's in the mix?

BTW, loved your Lioness pictures...never had a bit of itch to do an African hunt, but that looked to be a memorable trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nosler makes the .338 RUM and their brass is real good.

Using a 250 gr NP in my .338 RUM and H-1000 for a velocity of 2950 fps. Have gotten up to 3000 fps,that was with a 250 gr Sierra GK. Recoil was on par with getting hit by a Mack truck. :shock:

Yes,have used the 7mm,.300,.338 and .375 RUM's. The .338 and .375 are the ones I own right now. Killed game with the 7mm,.338 and .375.

Glad you liked the lioness pics. It was a very memorable trip. Going back for eland and sable just as soon as I can get the money together.

Back