Next step= Crimp or no crimp

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Well I have my 30-06 rounds seated to the right depth this time and am in the process of making up my mind to crimp or not. I have a Ruger M77 bolt and have read that I do not need to crimp which will help my groups and I have read that for a hunting rifle, you should crimp because they get tossed around while in the field. I will admit, my ammo does get tossed around a lot while hunting so would you put a light crimp on them or not? I have a Lee crimp die to do this with. Thanks.

No need to crimp.
I only crimp 45-70 and 44 Rem Mag, everything else does not get a crimp. This includes my 338 RUM, even on a horseback elk hunt my hand loads were fine and the bullets did not move.

JD338

crimping on most rifle rounds is purely optional. I crimp them all with my Lee factory crimp die. It makes the velocities of the round more concentric. I have found a light to medium crimp with the LFCD usually will help, never has hurt my reloads. but again it is not needed

I also found that crimping gives me a more consistent velocity. I never bothered crimping my non tube fed rounds until a few years ago. I lent my old 30-06 to a kid for his first cow elk hunt he had a miss feed and under stress ended up double feeding and somehow dislodged a bullet. There was powder and a mess in the chamber and magazine and he did not take the shot. Would crimping have helped this....who knows but the extra insurance is a plus, also my observed benefit of a more consistent velocity from several rifles has me sold.

I have been reloading for 50 years, with numerous calibers and rifles. Never crimped one yet!!!!

One of my shorter posts!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Same here, I just crimp the tube fed or revolver rounds. Try it both ways and see which shoots better. Scotty

Is it necessary to crimp? No, not at all. I confess that I do use the Lee Factory Crimp Die when possible on my personal hunting ammunition. It tends to tighten the standard deviation just a skosh, which translates into imperceptibly finessed accuracy. It doesn't hurt, and it does introduce a measure of reproducibility. Few of the animals I have shot or witnessed shot by others recognised whether they were being killed with either crimped or uncrimped ammo. I seldom use a roll crimp, however, settling for a taper crimp in most instances.

Back