No Range Today

Dan-I think congratulations are in order here...39th, that's a long time. The only thing I've been around that long are some shirts! That bruising experience was from last year but it lasted about a month.

I'll never be able to stop the Plavix. The first time I knew I'd have to rely on it was about five years ago when I wanted to have a hernia operation. The doc made me come off the aspirin and Plavix for five days so I wouldn't bleed to death on the operating table. I had been taking the meds for five years and never had stopped. The morning of the operation as I was getting ready I had a terrible pain hit my leg and ended up in the emergency room...blood clots in that femoral artery. I never did have the hernia operation. So, I can't come off the Plavix or risk blood clots. After that incident they also put me on Warfarin. I have PAD, Peripheral Artery Disease, and had bypass surgery on that femoral artery ten years ago.

I'm not on blood thinners, but I have bruised like that 3 times. Once when I was bucked forward and my crotch hit the saddle horn (hurts just remembering it), and twice from being kicked by horses.
So take it as fact when I say "Looks like you were kicked by a horse."

Darkhorse":jrojw45b said:
Once when I was bucked forward and my crotch hit the saddle horn (hurts just remembering it).

It is difficult to type when bent over clutching at some of my more sensitive parts. That is painful to even contemplate.

I guess an explanation is in order; I had bought a QH mare who had been a racehorse. She was rated AAA, I don't remember what her speed index was but she was fast. She was also big, standing 15.3 hands. And I didn't know it but she was also crazy.
Anyway I was riding down a dirt road and a piece of old carpet was on the road and she shied from it.
That wouldn't do so I tried to make her walk over it. No go. So eventually I applied a little spur and crop and just as she stepped over and lost sight of it she bucked, one hard, fast, strong, sharp buck and the next thing I knew I was sitting on her neck. I sat there waiting for the grenade I was straddling to go off but she just stood there, so I eased my way backward into the saddle. As soon as I touched leather I felt the inside of my leg begin to burn. By the time I got home I was standing in the stirrups.
No, she didn't get the jewels, just missed them by about 1 1/2 inches. But that saddle was a barrel racing saddle and it had an embossed silver emblem on the horn. I got a real hard knot that turned all kind of yellow and purple colors. Oh did I mention it hurt too!
So in a few days that knot was hard as wood and turned an ugly yellow with purple marks. It was the embossed emblem that had been driven into my flesh so hard it was now revealed in the bruising almost perfectly. Stayed that way for awhile and the knot stayed for months and hurt everytime I sat a saddle.
The inside of my leg turned every ugly bruise color possible and eventually reached past the ankle to the foot. It was summer and everytime I wore shorts (often) I just got the strangest looks.
And the horse; I talked to the previous owner and he came clean about her murderous past. It seemed she had hurt a couple of jockeys and they finally took her off the track. They had tried to make a barrel horse out of her but she ran past a barrel, jumped the fence and dragged the rider behind her by the bootheel. So, they sold her to ME!
Then the wife and I were sitting in the backyard one afternoon and out of the blue that mean mare fired off a kick at our dog, breaking some fence wire but missing old Bear.
The wife said;"If that horse kicks my dog I will get my Ruger and kill her on the spot." She said it real calm like but that's when a woman is most dangerous, so I sold the horse.
But I was a little more honest than the guy who sold her to me.

Those guys that sold her to you need to be cut and quartered. Maybe a little time on the Medieval rack would suffice.

The inside of my leg turned every ugly bruise color possible and eventually reached past the ankle to the foot

Gravity. That's exactly what happened in my case. It started at the shoulder, migrated to the chest then down my thigh and calf area. Like you, I sold the culprit in my case as well.

They don't call it horse trading for nothing.
I'm always leery of buying someone's house or gun.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Well the daughter and I got to our range today. While she sat on a blanket under a tree I tested some 270 Win and 338 WM loads.

It was pretty blowy but got some decent info back.

I had previously just been loading 225g SSTs to the cannelure in the 338 to get me in the ballpark. Today I seated them out to 3.380in which gets them 0.025 off the lands. I only shot 3 shot groups today because I am running out of projectiles. Groups hovered around 1.1 inches with a best of 0.8 inch. Not bad as this range is set up dead-on 120y so everything was under moa for the 4 groups.

So it looks like I have found my oal for this bullet. Now all I gotta' do is find more of those bullets! I didn't chrono today however based on previous chrono work I did with this rifle and powder I'd estimate around 2750fps. That will do me. Now I have some 250g Interlocks to test and some 200g Hotcors, though one wonders if its even worth trying the Hotcors given their spotty availability?

Next was the Sierra 90g HP in the 270 Win. Only shot 2 x 3 shot groups. Not much really to report but have attached a photo of the first group. Didn't take any photos of the others sorry.

IMG-20140504-02974-1_zpsgkx23h7w.jpg

Not a lot to complain about there at an MV nearing 3600fps. Now to whistle up a fox! :twisted:

I meant to say horse but my smurt phone typed house.
Looking through this thread again I too since at that bruise. I had one similar but it was my face. I'd hate to see what it would look like now if the same thing happened as I too am a member of what my Daddy used to call the, "Rat Poison Club". That was his nickname for folks on blood thinners of which he was a charter member when I was growing up.
There's some good stories here, fellowship, and loads of information and support. No wonder I like this forum.
Take care and happy shooting.
Vince
PS: Don't nobody be trying to ride broncs while on rat poison. I've had to forego cracking back out in the Old Timers but truth be told if I wasn't good enough to get to the NFR in my prime I sure as heck have no business trying to do it as an old timer.
Besides loading, hunting, and shooting, while different, is just as satisfying but in a more cerebral way.

Vince":2gbmilwf said:
Wince*

I've learned to live with my wife finishing my sentences. It irritates me no end when my phone tries to conclude what I'm attempting to write. I hate a phone that thinks it is smarter than me. :evil:

Rat poison=Coumadin=Warfarin. Strange how my 4mg pills of generic Warfarin are about the same color as those cubes of rat poison.

Due to predictive text I'm teaching my phone a kaleidoscope of vulgarity.
Col, funny huh?
Coumadin is rat poison. I used to think my old man was crazy when I was a kid. Turns out he e wasn't so crazy and I miss him.

Amazing how brilliant our fathers became after we got a little older, isn't it?

That stuff is why I bleed so profusely when I get cut. The worse ordeal I had with it as this past December. I had an abscessed tooth that my regular dentist wouldn't pull but sent me to an oral surgeon. He asked me the day before surgery what my INR was and I told him a bit low at 2.2. It's suppose to be 2.5-3.0. Apparently, there's a frame line whereby they'll pull it or not if you're on Warfarin. I fell into that area as he did pull it. No one told me to lay off the Warfarin a few days or so till it healed so, I went home and took my little pill at the usual time. No problems. It didn't bleed any more or less than a normal person. Next day it bled a bit more and they told me to hold tea bags against that area. Later, I took another 4mg pill. The tea bags helped helped somewhat. Later that night about 2:00 am I woke up with the side of my face wet. I jumped up, cut on the lights and my pillow was soaking wet with blood about the size of your hand. It just got worse as the day went on. Finally the following day it was even worse than before and I was spitting up blood every 20-30 seconds. It just wouldn't stop.

Long story short, I ended up in the emergency room, told them the problem and they gave me 5mg of Vitamin K and sent me home. Vitamin K will destroy the effects of Warfarin so you have to be careful how many greens you eat as they have a good portion of Vitamin K but nothing like 5mg. It took about 16 hours and I woke up during the night close to 5:00 am and it had stopped...totally. I checked my INR and it was 1.4-way out of my therapeutic range but at least the bleeding had stopped. It was quite an ordeal. Just for reference, a normal person's INR(or PT/INR) is 1.0.

A few weeks ago I was in the crawl space blowing in insulation. From crawling across rafters I had bruises in places I didn't even know I had. I wake up most days with a new bruise somewhere on my body and I don't even know what I did to get it.
That wouldn't bother me so much of I was a drinking man but I'm not. If I look like I went three rounds with Ali in his prime I'd at least like to be able to remember it.
Of course I don't remember much the time I made a glorious bruise of my face either. I know where I was, re gender calling for the gate, and waking up on the backboard on my way to the ambulance. Bulls heads are harder than mine. :cool:
That wasn't the only time I was jerked down just the worse. Good thing I want on rat poison then.

Rotten auto-correct! Although the re-gender comment was interesting. :shock:

Back