Nosler 2nd's

Nov 8, 2010
Hey guys ! Evidently Noslers custom brass is manufactured by more than one company, at least thats what I have been lead to believe. In my case I shoot 25-06 rem. which I understand is made for Nosler by Norma. Does anyone know if this is a true statement or not ? Next question would be are Nosler Custom seconds truly void of any true physical deformities or are there some real issues with the brass that one should be privy to ? Are they mixed lots or out of the same run ? I guess the real question would be " Would one be better off buying new and spending the extra money on Norma brass or spending $20 to $25 less per 50 ct. on factory seconds ?" Will I need to do a lot of sorting on seconds?" would be another way of putting it. Your input would be a great asset ! Thanks............Ballistic

BT,
I shoot only seconds (Brass and Bullets). The inperfections are cosmetic. Never had a problem with them. All the animals that got shot with them could not tell also. :) I understand that Norma makes some and I heard that Federal makes for them also. I am guessing that Nosler has a standard for their shells and what ever supplier can meet them gets to make them. The gang at Nosler seem to be keeping this one in the pocket.
Russ

ballistictip25-06

Welcome to the forum.

Nosler brass is made to Nosler specifications from a couple of sources, which are confidential.
The difference between 1st and 2nd brass is weight sorting.

As to which to buy, that would depend on your equipment, application and skill level.
I have used Nosler 280AI brass in a custom rifle and it shoots in the low .2's and sometimes even better.

JD338

Same here, I shoot a ton of Nosler 2nds, both brass and bullets. Matter of fact, I am primarily shooting all 2nds for bullets and haven't had any issues with any of it. The brass, well, if I can get my hands on it, that is all I shoot if it is available. I can't see a difference between 1st's and 2nds for bullets. Now, the brass, it might need to be trued in the necks a little from being shipped in bags, but I haven't found that to be a problem, at least for the cost savings. Scotty

I'm sorry fellows but, ...

Well, when I spend my hard-earn'd $$$$ on a very nice rifle and scope, planning for months ahead of the seasons for my next hunt, I have a hard time shooting less than the best bullet/brass I can get.

But then thats just an old guy's take on it.

Thanks, Jim

I tried some Nosler Cosmetic Imperfections brass for the .340 Weatherby. I sampled 8 cases and got +/-.02 grains which for large cases is pretty good.

I've been shooting seconds in a couple of rifles, and my buck last season was taken with a .277 130 E-Tip second. I have zero problems shooting them. I just wish they'd have what I want all at the same time, so I could order a huge bulk order and get stocked up! But, I've also always wanted a pony...

Stocking is the issue at this time of year. Starting in about a week, Christmas shopping is pretty well over, except for residual after Christmas gift card giving. After that, brass gets hard to find for about 5 months.

I need a box of Nosler .257 Roberts for load dvelopment. Wish me luck finding it.

I have never been able to see the difference between first and seconds.

I buy the seconds and like them, in 30 Cal I found a batch of 180 grain BT's that varied in weight by several 10ths of a grain and some 155 CC's that varied by a couple of 10ths. I haven't sorted firsts tho,
so maybe they are within specs?

I just received several bags of nosler .280 remington brass. I have never tried their 2nd brass so this will be a first , The brass really looks great.

wvchevy3":kouwrxkk said:
I just received several bags of nosler .280 remington brass. I have never tried their 2nd brass so this will be a first , The brass really looks great.

Lee, all of the Nosler 2nds brass I have used has been 1st class. Really has spoiled me for anything else actually. I still can't bring myself to buy 1st's, but I think it is coming. Scotty

Well you will Scotty. If it means you have to wait 6 months to wait for seconds or pay $20 more for 1st. I think I see you paying an extra $20 to play with the new toy. I know I would.

I need a box of Nosler .257 Roberts for load dvelopment. Wish me luck finding it.

How is the project going Charlie?? Have you shot it at all yet.?

I just got my rail installed on my 721 WB last week, and will try and work on that in between the 308 and .223 and Whelen. I bought to many rifles last year. !!

Elkman":3auzz6ml said:

How is the project going Charlie?? Have you shot it at all yet.?

I just got my rail installed on my 721 WB last week, and will try and work on that in between the 308 and .223 and Whelen. I bought to many rifles last year. !!

Looking forward to seeing what that Whelen does!

Bill, no I haven't shot it yet. I did put some new action screws in and bought a grip cap to replace the one that was missing. I have been buying components and have some 100 gr Partitions loaded and some 85 gr Ballistic Tips ready to load. I want to find some 100V Hodgdon powder and try it with the 110 Accubonds. Word has it that you can get 3100 fps with good accuracy from this load. That load would change my perspective on this cartridge, if it works.

The January thaw should happen around here soon and I will get to the range then. I am going to refinish the stock as well. It is a nice piece of wood and I think that I can bring the grain up a little better than the old varnish. A want to straighten out the angle of the cheekpiece and little flatter and more parallel to the comb, no big changes, just little stuff that I can do within my mechanical capabilities.

I will keep you posted on the loading and range results. I am using Remington cases, as I can't find any stock on Nosler 2nd's anywhere. I need to find some 110 AccuBond and 100V Hodgdon powder first, if possible. I am really curious about this load.

We have been pretty busy with family stuff for Christmas but that is done now. Merry Christmas to all you guys!

Back