Nosler 40 Grain Lead Free in .223

Ridley75

Beginner
Aug 15, 2016
A few weeks back I picked up a Remington model 700 SPS varmint with a 26" barrel. I love it. Already developed one load for it, 52 grain A-max and its awesome. Shockingly, my old Nosler 60 grain varmint loads originally developed for my AR (I no longer own because of the wonderful state of California...I didn't want to jump through their stupid hoops so I sold it) are even accurate.

At an rate, I put together a batch of test loads with Nosler's 40 grain lead free varmint bullets, H335 and CCI 400 primers. The powder charges ranged from the book min (25.5 grain) up to book max ( 27.5 grain), in 0.5 grain increments. I loaded to the book C.O.A.L of 2.260. Based on my previous loads they were not what I expected, they all shot around 1.5 inch, 5 round groups...my other loads are under 0.75 inch for 5 rounds.

I believe that my middle powder charge provided the best accuracy. I also believe that this could be made much more accurate with some tweaking of seating depth. Now since these are not "traditional" mono bullets what would you all recommend. Closer or further from the lands?

Thanks everyone,and I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!!!

Justin.

Anyone have any ideas about seating depth on these lead free varmint bullets?

So I figure out this load. In my original test it was my shooting and I replaced the plastic Remington stock with a B&C. So 26.5 grains with a 2.260" COL gave me an incredible five shot group.IMG_0001.JPG

That is fine shooting, for sure! Congratulations. Yeah, that group will work, just fine.

Awesome. I've found the BTLF bullets to be very accurate. Best shooting load I have for my .243 in fact.

desertcj":30xxp94d said:
Awesome. I've found the BTLF bullets to be very accurate. Best shooting load I have for my .243 in fact.

Short of my poor shooting the first time around I'm extremely happy with them. That 5 shot group chronoed at 3579. I suspect that replacing the stock helped too. I can't wait till it warms up and I can get after ground squirrels with it.

Back