Nosler and powder selections on line

ehunter

Beginner
Mar 16, 2009
So why doesn't nosler use standard or current powders for their testing in the book I can find 270 H4831sc loads but on line its not included? The same with 308 and 150 or 165 varget loads. These are 2 standards that almost every one uses?

How do you read the OAL suggested lenght on the web site. I use a hornady gage? Don't get me wrong I love nosler patitions as my go to bullet and BT for targets.

I think their on-line data is sort of randomly selected from the loading data they've accumulated. Not necessarily the best or most popular loads.

I'm with you on that - I wish they'd put on line their best loads, if not all of them. You're right, Varget and the .308 Win are made for each other...

But if you were able to get it on line, who would want to buy their Reloading Guides?

JD338

Great company but they gotta survive too! Only way to do this is to make money.

True enough. But I buy Hodgdon's manual every couple of years and also go to their web site for data. They've got some great articles in their manual. The 2010 version has a super article by Jim Carmichael. A few years ago they had a great article on the .204 Ruger when it was brand new, and there was a short blurb on why they were so hot on H4350 for the .30-06 once... Inexpensive manuals, and in soft cover, magazine format, but I buy them frequently. Huge amount of data, complete with pressure figures too. I haven't bought another hard-cover manual in quite a few years come to think of it.

And Hodgdon's web site has a massive amount of data available on it - but it doesn't tell which was the most accurate or consistent load.

Really like that about my Sierra manual, they'll list a couple of real good, proven loads down at the bottom of all their data for a cartridge. I've never been disappointed in those loads. Read once how many rounds Sierra sends downrange every year in testing. It was some phenomenal number that I've since forgotten, but I imagine all the big reloading companies do about the same, and it's got to put to shame what most of us manage to do in a year with our handloading & shooting hobbies.

Guy

That is a cool feature of the Sierra manual. I have never used one of their most accurate or best hunting loads, but I might give it a whirl! Scotty

Sierra has done their homework in listing the most accurate load. The best hunting load is a combination of velocity and accuracy, which is also rather nice.

Back