Nosler blemished bullets

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
I know that a lot of you folks use them. Do the bullets shoot any differently? Do the blemished products just have some discoloration? Would you use them for hunting or just target practice??

I have been looking at the web site with some interest. If the bullets are of the same quality, then they have some great deals.

I've been shooting "Blems" for a number of years. I'll usually buy a couple hundred at a time when the one I want is available. I buy Accubonds for the most part in 7mm and .257 but I recently bought some 175 partitions. I've gotten some that you had to look at each one to find a few that had some obvious blemish. Most you'd not even notice. And, I've shot several one hole groups with 160 gr Accubonds. The blems and overruns are real bargains. But you need to get em while they're hot, the good ones don't last long.

Started buying seconds from the Bivwak days. Have not stopped. Don't care about the blemish, just that they shoot well and they do.
Russ

I have used blems in several calibers from .270 through .338 since I have been able to source them from SPS. My statistical work on these bullets (ANOVA, s, degrees of freedom, mean, median, sum of squares, et al......) plus control samples of Barnes and, Hornady and Speer bullets, indicate that there is a high dependent variable based on weight and diameter. However this is also true of non-premium factory bullets in the same calibers.

Meaning that: up to .308 caliber the distribution, based weight variation, will be as good as or better than most non-premium bullets from other manufcaturers. Bullets above .308 caliber should/could/can be weighed individually and sorted by groupings. I use 0.3 variation grains as a specific group limit in my two .338 caliber rifles.

I have observed variablity in (5) boxes of a single weight Partitions as +/-1.4 grains from mean in heavier bullets (.338, .375). Distribution was strongly bimodal and sorted accordingly. Swaged length will also vary on these bullets in proportion to weight variability, which makes sense.

Bottom line, they will most likely shoot as well as many other brands, out of the bag. If you are fussy, weigh and sort and they will be very accurate to 300 yards.

Pretty much all I've used for the past 7 - 8 years. Occasionally I look at what's available now, but as I sit with my current bullet inventory, I will not need to buy bullets unless I buy a new caliber.

Nosler seconds are all I shoot, unless I run out and need some fast.
I use them for load development, target shoting and hunting.

JD338

Thank you folks. At about 1/2 price of retail, I was wondering. I will have to start paying closer attention.

If you can find them its the way to go. You have to patient and check often. I killed a spike elk with seconds as well in 7mm.

Corey

I know that a lot of you folks use them. Do the bullets shoot any differently? Do the blemished products just have some discoloration? Would you use them for hunting or just target practice??
I have been looking at the web site with some interest. If the bullets are of the same quality, then they have some great deals.

Been using ther for years, they preform well on game, I have never had a problem.

I find more of a difference from lot to lot of bullets than I do in general with the seconds over the firsts.

jmad_81":1kglbe4b said:
I find more of a difference from lot to lot of bullets than I do in general with the seconds over the firsts.

Same here. Recently had a little struggle with 160 AB's, but overall, I have had 0 issues with 2nds and use them like JD does, for everything. Very seldom do I actually buy a "box" of bullets anymore. Mostly just have bags of them! I have shot my best so far with the Nosler 2nds. They are a great deal if you can get them.

Back