Nosler Custom Commpetition bullet for deer hunting?

1Shot

Handloader
Dec 5, 2008
I was wondering what Nosler's official commit is on using the 30 cal. 155 and 168 gr custom competition bullet for deer hunting. I have used the Berger 155 VLD's that are made with J4 jackets and so is the Nosler custom competition. The Berger 155's blow BIG exit holes and scramble the vitals. Does anybody have any experience using the Nosler custom competition bullets on deer size game?

They will probably tell you that the Custom Comp bullets were designed for shooting competitions, NOT hunting. If I were you, regardless of price, I would not use them to hunt with. Use a bullet that was designed for hunting not paper punching.

1Shot

The Custom Comp bullets are target bullets, not intended for hunting.

JD338

1Shot,

My opinion for what it's worth.
Nosler potentially offers the best hunting bullet to ever come down the pipe. They have built their reputation on this. Numerous bullets in the Nosler line better suited for hunting.

Yes I know all about Nosler's hunting bullets. I have used them for years. I was just curious if there is anyone out there that has tried the Nosler custom comp bullets on game. I read about a lot of people using the so call target bullets on light skin game like deer all the time with great results. Hornady even touts their A-max as a light skin hunting bullet. Burger VLD's are also touted as great game bullets and like is said I have used them and they really do a good job. I guess I will have to try some out on a doe or two next season to see what they will do. Before anyone goes ape over that statement, I have used cast lead bullets to kill quite a few deer. It really don't matter what you shoot them with if you place the bullet through the front shoulders. They die in a short distance with a hole through both lungs about like a deer shot with an arrow.

1shot wrote: It really don't matter what you shoot them with if you place the bullet through the front shoulders. They die in a short distance with a hole through both lungs about like a deer shot with an arrow.

The thing is that bullet must hold together through the shoulder, the Amax and VLDs I would not be making shoulder shots with them! You will get splash I know that with the amax, accu bonds are a much better hunting bullet. Amax you need to keep them off bone for them to be of use in a hunting situation no matter coyotes or deer.

Splash hits are no fun. I've seen plenty of them from 52gr and lighter hollowpoints. I wouldn't be too worried about the 155 NCC making it past a rib, or even the shoulders on a deer/antelope, but the 150gr BTs shoot better in my gun, so I don't see a need to test it.

On the other hand, the U.S. Army has had very good luck with the 77gr Sierra Match Kings on bad guys (since the bullets is designed for target shooting and not designed to increase damage to humans, it is technically legal under Geneva and the various other conventions) A much higher bang/flop ratio. I've also heard they are very good on whitetails, but don't expect me to take a competion bullet elk/moose hunting.

I have tested the Berger VLD(hunting) , & the A-Max. The Berger will penetrate a shoulder, & then some, but the A-Max, I wouldn't trust it. They are a fragile bullet. When shooting the two @ steel @ 700-800 yds I could easily tell which ones were which due to the dent in the steel. The VLD would leave a dent even out @ 800 yds. The A-Max would not even dent the steel @ 700 yds. On thin skinned game I think they would work, but I'd use the VLD. If those were my only choices. I actually use the Accubonds for hunting.
BTW, these were the 210 VLD, & 208 A-Max in a 300 WM.
My hunting load is a 225 AB in a 338 WM.

Back