Nosler E-Tip has a ring?

They went to the relief ring a few years ago with all of them I believe citing lower pressures and improved accuracy on average.

gerry":35chelpz said:
They went to the relief ring a few years ago with all of them I believe citing lower pressures and improved accuracy on average.

Thanks a lot.

What Gerry said. When the E-Tip was first introduced, the mid range load data was considered the Max load.The monolithic design and long bearing surface caused pressure spikes. The relief ring lowers pressures.

JD338

26NosFan":1okar68q said:
something Barnes learned long ago with the TSX

Ya, I remember the evolution of the Barnes solid-copper hollowpoint hunting bullet. Took a while to come up with the TSX design, then the tipped version. They have been nicely developed now.

Good to see other manufacturers like Nosler & Hornady have got "solid" bullets too. I think both Nosler and Hornady are using Gilding Metal instead of pure copper. I had some fouling problems with 100 gr TSX bullets from my 25-06 years ago.

Guy

Thanks for the info on the E-Tip. That was one of my big beefs about it. It will get to be a better bullet when they put a tip on it and a larger cavity for better expansion. The relief grooves(I hope the put more than one) is a good start.

Divernhunter":2j2y4iq4 said:
Thanks for the info on the E-Tip. That was one of my big beefs about it. It will get to be a better bullet when they put a tip on it and a larger cavity for better expansion. The relief grooves(I hope the put more than one) is a good start.

Nosler's E-Tip has had a plastic tip from the beginning.

https://www.nosler.com/e-tip-lead-free-bullet

Guy

Divernhunter":2rkevpi9 said:
Guy Miner---Sorry my mistake. I stopped looking at them when they did not have relief grooves.

I have to admit that although I have some E-Tips in 25 and 30 cal, I haven't tried any at the range yet. Bought them during a sale at Shooters Pro Shop.

Time to time there's discussion in Washington State about emulating California's restriction on lead core bullets - so I thought it prudent to have some E-Tips, or Barnes TSX on hand. Just in case that regulation actually hits.

I did use the100 grain Barnes TSX for a few years, from my 25-06 rifle.

Guy

My loads are all worked up for the grooveless Etips. I guess I'll need to make a few changes when I get new ones.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

All my E-Tips have the relief groove. .223, .277, .284, and .308 all have them. I can’t say about others but the ones I have in those calibers do. My 308 Win really likes the 150gr E-Tip at 2900fps. I coat all my bullets with HBN and get a little lower pressures with very nice consistency.

Joec7651":2ci64c7x said:
All my E-Tips have the relief groove. .223, .277, .284, and .308 all have them. I can’t say about others but the ones I have in those calibers do. My 308 Win really likes the 150gr E-Tip at 2900fps. I coat all my bullets with HBN and get a little lower pressures with very nice consistency.

Forgive my ignorance but what is HBN ?

Back