Nosler or Norma Brass vs WW

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
I was surprised to see REM brass read 100fps faster than Winchester brass for me, I expected the opposite. Has anyone used both Winchester and Nosler or Norma brass that could tell me what differences to expect? I think I read it should hold a little more volume? Is it good stuff? I've been happy with WIN brass

Can't say anything about Nosler brass even though I have 100 rounds for my .280 Rem. Just haven't loaded it yet.
The only Norma I've ever loaded was for the 6.5x54 MS i once owned before some low life stole it from my truck. That stuff was very soft and even loading to factory specs primer pockets were too loose after about three reloads. They may have improved them since then but I'm not willing to spend the money to find out.
The late gun writer Bob Hagel once did a report on brass. IIRC he only worked with Winchester, Remington and Federal. Winchester was the toughest, Remington second and Federal the softest of the three. Based on brass life what I've found agrees with what he found.
Like you, my preference is for Winchester although I've not needed to buy any lately so can't say anything concerning the bad reports of Winchester brass.
Paul B.

I have used all of them. The RP brass is a little thicker/heavier than the WW, therefore smaller in volume, hence more pressure, and more velocity. . I load them the same but I would be careful around maximum loads. Several years ago I was searching for the most accurate load in my Remington tactical. This rifle was consistently shooting in the .40 range so I was essentially splitting hairs. I bought some high priced Norma and started load development with it. After a few weeks and a couple of Manufacture changes I was getting frustrated because even though I was shooting well below MOA I knew the rifle could do better. So one day I grabbed a batch of WW, weighed them and piled some RL-15 and Nosler match bullets, into the WW cases. The outcome was group sizes that were hiding inside a dime, stacked on top of each other. . Soooooo while he RP is thicker, I believe the Norma and Nosler to be of higher quality, but when it all comes down to. Is what works best in your rifle.

This last weekend I tried some Norma brass in my 416 Remington, that has been using Hornady brass. With the exact same load the Norma brass clocked 2668 FPS with 340 woodliegh pp. that’s 58 FPS faster than the Hornady brass with the same load. I’ve always used Norma in my 416 Taylor and 9.3x62. Ive honestly not used Remington or Winchester brass in a long time. For the last several years the brass ive used is Norma, Peterson, PPU, and Hornady. With the Hornady I tend to loose the primer pockets pretty fast, and just overall seems like it’s pretty soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back