Nosler Partition Question

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
This may make me look like a real bonehead.

I know the Partition is a truly amazing bullet. I use it in all my rifles for hunting accept a 223 Wylde. But, is there a reason that the lead nose core isn’t bonded? Other than the obvious reason that it’s not needed? I’ve been curious about this for some time.

I believe they wanted both penetration and a bullet that expands rapidly to open up a good wound channel. The Partition does both well, that front end can expand violently at times but that rear core just pushes though.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the PT. I use them in 7 calibers. There is violent expansion to the Partition then it drives DEEP. It’s just one of those curious things I wonder about. I’m not campaigning for a change, it is 100% curiosity.

I think they made a heckuva great Bullet. That front end opening quick hammers deer sized stuff well, the same as it works on elk and moose. I think there are some great Bullets out there but none really beat a Partition. If they could make a Partition sleek like a Berger they’d probably own the market, well, more of it.

Interesting that you don't use it in the 223 w . Up until we started using the 6.8 the 60 grain part. Was our bullet of choice for deer during youth season. Non believers were shocked at internal damage and penetration on deer . I wish nosler would make a 100 grain 6.8 bullet for the 6.8 spc

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs":1eq9z87u said:
Interesting that you don't use it in the 223 w . Up until we started using the 6.8 the 60 grain part. Was our bullet of choice for deer during youth season. Non believers were shocked at internal damage and penetration on deer . I wish nosler would make a 100 grain 6.8 bullet for the 6.8 spc

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
I use the 55gr E-Tip For hunting because that’s what the rifle prefers. For target and plinking I use the Hornady #2266. Other than that it’s exclusively PT’s in my rifle. Try the 85gr E-Tip in that 6.8. You can get over 3000fps out of it with CFE BLK.

If Nosler went to a Plastic tip on the Partitions I would use them exclusively, but I hate flattened tips from the magazine box from recoil. I don't care that they are not bonded.

I remember all the requests for a "bonded Partition" many years ago.

In response to that, and further improving the Ballistic Tip line... Nosler brought out the AccuBond. That was quite a while ago now, and the AccuBond has gone on to be a terrific success. Heavy jacket. Bonded. Sleek design with that plastic tip.

Looking at the penetration, expansion, performance on game... It's apparent that the Partition, AccuBond and the heavier/stouter Ballistic Tip bullets all offer very good terminal results.

Funny that Nosler still gets requests to bond the Partition. :grin:

I do think it would be a good bullet - Swift basically built a heavy-duty Partition with a bonded front core with their A-Frame design. It's a good bullet too!

Regards, Guy

gerry":j5p1i6uz said:
I believe they wanted both penetration and a bullet that expands rapidly to open up a good wound channel. The Partition does both well, that front end can expand violently at times but that rear core just pushes though.

Yep. They really are a good bullet. In many ways other than lacking a high B.C. they still out perform modern "premium" bullets of today by doing a darn good job of giving you the best of both worlds.

The Partition was designed in 1948, long before bonding cores was done. The PT design actually allows the lead core to disrupt tissue. In my experience, the PT is a fast killing bullet, even on soft tissue. If you were to bond the front core, I think you would loose some of this.

JD338

The Partition is still an awesome bullet out to 600 yards. The front half pretty much explodes while the rear half drives deep and penetrates. Cant ask for a better hunting bullet really. They hold together a little better than the AB still as well.

remingtonman_25_06":32xzcpxv said:
The Partition is still an awesome bullet out to 600 yards. The front half pretty much explodes while the rear half drives deep and penetrates. Cant ask for a better hunting bullet really. They hold together a little better than the AB still as well.

Nope, that’s about right. I mess around with a bunch of bullets but the Partition does an excellent job in pretty much all normal hunting scenarios. I like the AccuBond a bunch as well. As guy mentioned, it’s pretty much a shapelier Partition.

Killed my first spike bull at 525 yards when I was 13 with a 300 win mag and 180g NPs. He dropped like a rock with a shoulder hit, bullet exited. It's the only animal I've ever taken personally with a Partition. I gravitated towards the higher BC bullets once I figured out how to shoot longer ranges. But, I do have a few boxes of the 6mm 85g NP for the 240 WBY incase I ever feel the need to use it on deer or antelope.

mjcmichigan":1ueelud6 said:
I think Nosler figure out the Partition before bonding came mainstream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is correct. The Partition was base on the German H-mantel design. Personal experience has shown me that the rapid expansion and continued penetration of the base is lethal !

Back