Not Bad.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Got an alternative to my Varget load I'm getting low on, in 348 using IMR 4350, and didn't waste a bunch of bullets finding it.

Initially loaded 2 a grain apart just to check speed and based on what I seen being plenty low I loaded the next one 2 grains higher to be able to check speed only when I went to test. Loaded 3 a full grain above that figuring I would still be fine on speed, then 3 more a 1/2 grain above that. So 9 total.

64.5 grains gave me 2536 average with a 10fps E.S. Should still be low pressure with that slower powder. I hit 2600 when testing with Varget with no issues.

Group measured .820 at 50 yds. Might of got last shot itis trying to get the last one in to see what it could do. Regardless, it probably shoots better than I can most days with iron sights.

I have it in my head that Big Game would be a good powder with mag primers and these 200 FP's. It sits halfway between Varget and IMR 4350 on the burn scale. If I come up with a can I might try that yet.

Great shooting ST. That's a good hunting load.

Was your charge compressed at all? I wouldn't see any issue with getting a bit more if you wanted it with 4350 if Varget did it so easy..

FYI, I saw on another site, they're selling 8lbs of Varget for 600 bucks... I think you're smart to use the 4350:oops:

Even H is asking 50 a lb for it.... Nah....

I'd say that's pretty darn good for iron sights at 50 yds with a new recipe.

Great shooting ST. That's a good hunting load.

Was your charge compressed at all? I wouldn't see any issue with getting a bit more if you wanted it with 4350 if Varget did it so easy..

FYI, I saw on another site, they're selling 8lbs of Varget for 600 bucks... I think you're smart to use the 4350:oops:

Even H is asking 50 a lb for it.... Nah....

Yeah I got some room yet....sits just under the neck base. Got a little jingle when I shake it. I'd say I got room for 1/2 to a full grain yet before being against the bullet or very lightly compressed. Maybe even 1.5 grains if speeds would allow it.

If I can pick up another can of Varget reasonable along the way, I might stick with that load. Runs about the same speed. Usually hangs right at an inch at 50, and does it with 56.5 grains of powder, so a little easier on the backend of the thump. But if I can't it's nice to know I got something I can switch right over to without issue and be ready to roll.

These were shot with new brass so I'd have some more room in all likelihood with the fireformed. I set my die for about 2 times to just bump the shoulder a couple thousandth's on fireformed brass even though it's head spacing off the rim. After that I got to hit them with a full length size again or they start to get tight at the base.

Crazy prices on those powders. I'm not paying it.........at least for now because I can wait. If I don't have a choice someday I might go back on my word. Ha.

Looks good. Always nice to have an alternative. As for powder prices seems H sells their powder higher than the people, they supply it to. Go figure. Dan.

That combo works. Last year there was a auction real close to me and I passed on a 348. Someone wanted it more than me.

That combo works. Last year there was a auction real close to me and I passed on a 348. Someone wanted it more than me.
Yes sir. They usually bring money. I probably wouldn't own one if this one hadn't been my Dad's. Not because I wouldn't want to, but I've never seen one go for what I'd want to spend. Shooters like this one bring more than they should, and nice deluxe models can get into serious money.

It is getting harder and harder to find a good model 71 that is still all original. I have a love for the 71 and the model 64.

It is getting harder and harder to find a good model 71 that is still all original. I have a love for the 71 and the model 64.

Far as I know my Dad's is. It does not have a front sight hood which it may or may not be missing...........I would assume all of them came with one, but I don't know that for sure? I asked my Dad about it, and he racked his brain and couldn't remember. He might of took it off about the time he got it, as I would also, to be able to see the front sight much better.

He had a leather recoil pad on it........it was tattered and falling apart. I had a local leather shop copy the one that was on it just to keep it the way he had it. Stitched together in the back, laced on the bottom. But the original butt plate is still underneath.

So many that I've looked at have multiple holes in the receivers for scope mounts or receiver sights, stocks cutoff or recoil pads added. Those kinds of modifications don't impact their usability but really hurts the collection value.

Back