Officially Disappointed in Nosler

Paul Barnard

Beginner
Oct 12, 2004
In another thread I mentioned that I bought a new Nosler Liberty that had to go back to the factory. There were 3 issues. The bolt was extraordinarily hard to close on Nosler factory 105 grain ammo. The best 3 shot group I could muster at 100 yards was about 5 inches. The bullets showed pronounced keyholing.

Nosler factory 105 ammo is all I shot. Here are targets that reflect the keyholing and accuracy.

I understand that it happens from time to time that a bad one gets out of the factory. I should know, since the last 3 $1000+ rifles I have bought have had to go back. When I contacted Nosler, I was able to get through to CS quickly with a phone call. I was issued a return authorization. In the e-mail from Daniel Michels that accompanied the RA, it was noted that I would be called when the rifle arrived. "Once the rifle is received, we will either call or email you to verify."

I immediately shipped the gun back.

Tracking showed that it arrived on Sep 2.

As of September 18, I had not heard anything from Nosler. I emailed and got this response back from Daniel: "My apologies that you were not informed. I confirmed with our gunsmith and yes, he has received your rifle. He unfortunately has not yet had an opportunity to evaluate the barrel twist, but is hoping to have an update ready next week. At that point, we should have a better idea on turnaround time as we will know the exact issue."

On September 29, I emailed Daniel asking for an update.

As of today, Oct 5, I had not received a response to the September 29 email question, so I emailed again and have not yet heard back.

If I had been told from the onset that repairs would take 6-8 weeks, I wouldn't be happy with that turnaround time, but I wouldn't have expected to hear anything back either. Remington advised me right up front that repairs would take up to 12 weeks and that's how long it took to get my 5R HS Precision 223 back. My Christensen Arms Mesa was back to me in less than 3 weeks from the date I shipped it.

Am I justified in my disappointment and frustration, or are we just at a point with crappy US manufacturing and customer service that we should expect this even on a higher end product?

In general, I agree with your complaint. Give the customer an accurate expectation of how long the service will take, and then try to beat expectations. Don't paint a rosy picture and then drag it out. I have the same complaint whenever I hire someone to do some work at my house. If you tell me you'll be there at 0900, don't pull in at 1030 and expect me to be happy.

bdbrown66":28mgrau5 said:
In general, I agree with your complaint. Give the customer an accurate expectation of how long the service will take, and then try to beat expectations. Don't paint a rosy picture and then drag it out. I have the same complaint whenever I hire someone to do some work at my house. If you tell me you'll be there at 0900, don't pull in at 1030 and expect me to be happy.

Yep. Under promise, over deliver, makes for much happier customers than the other way around. I try to remember that motto when I do work for people.

Paul- again, so sorry for your bad experience. We (those of us frequenting this board) always hope for better from the home team. IMHO you have every right to expect timely follow up, at least. Twist!?!? for a rifle in that price range, that dosent even qualify as a poor excuse. That sucker should shoot Nosler factory ammo, period. Again, just my uneducated opinion. CL

Well that's too bad things like this happen in the first place, and having your hopes something would go your way with the repair is a shame. Been there, done that too long ago and why I just went full custom with a gunsmith I knew I could trust..... Which is usually after a build is done, and then another is built because of that trust in their end product.

I just got an email that said "Our gunsmith emailed me that your rifle is currently getting re-barreled."

Paul Barnard":1m2fgkja said:
I just got an email that said "Our gunsmith emailed me that your rifle is currently getting re-barreled."
Which a competent Smith with proper tools can accomplish in about 3 hours, less on CNC.

I sent back a Nosler Custom a few years ago.... it did take some time, but I did get it back, and it was fixed.

Still the most consistent rifle I've ever fired... by far, and I've fired a few.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I hope this gets worked out for you. A lemon out of the box is mind boggling frustrating. Sounds like it is on the downhill side of things at this point hopefully.

gbflyer":3ucn31v5 said:
Paul Barnard":3ucn31v5 said:
Which a competent Smith with proper tools can accomplish in about 3 hours, less on CNC.

I guess their gunsmith is handling this one meticulously.

I finally emailed Nosler again. I was told they hope to have my gun headed back to me by the end of the month. They have done nothing to alleviate the disappointment I expressed at the beginning of this thread.

Back