Old Alaskan pictures

SC,
Back in those days it was real wild ! A bunch of us that spotted Salmon, stayed down at Bartletts in Eggigik, a young bear was hanging around making a nuisance of himself, someone called
On the marine radio, and says the bear just chased a kid
Down the beach. Old Laure Bartlett jumps up grabs his old
375 H&H, and walks out saying thats it. He rides down onto the beach on a 3 wheeler, and we hear BOOM. Then back he comes
Gets onto his Cat front end loader, goes down scoops up
The bear, brings it up to the airstrip and buries it. Comes back into the dining room and says "he wont be bothering
Anyone anymore". Someone then asked, how many have you burried there over the years, he said " Dozens and dozens" then he and Helen burst out laughing!
It was never mentioned again......... That was the way life was in the early 80's. Wild n Wooly!

Attachments

• c877335bd707d045d6e5a841c18abb10_192.jpeg
    c877335bd707d045d6e5a841c18abb10_192.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 702
Cubs..

Attachments

• j3.jpg
    j3.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 679
  • prom1.jpg
    prom1.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 679
  • cub.jpg
    cub.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 679
Very cool. Thanks!

I was just a tourist/backpacker on my first visit to Alaska, 1979/1980. Frankly, I can't remember which year it was! Could probably figure it out.

Was shooting 35mm slide film then. I need to turn some of those into digital photos. Good stuff. From King Salmon, we flew in a Grumman Goose, landed on a lake near Brooks Camp. Stayed there for a night or so. Then out backpacking in the Valley of 10,000 Smokes for a few days. Maybe a week?

Came back for another night at Brooks Camp then out to Anchorage where we rented a car and goofed off for a few more days, camping and just roaming parts of Alaska I've never seen since. It was a terrific adventure for this young fellow.

Guy

Earle those are some great photos (y) and some where early age colour :shock:. Now let us see those black & whites :mrgreen:!!
Just kidding my friend, I would sure like to sit down 1 day and have a cup of coffee or 2 and listen to more of your adventures!!
Thank you for this post.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan n Guy,
Guy you had a great intro to Alaska, probably either Georgie Tibbits that flew you in the goose down to Brooks out of KS , Phil Bingman had one in Dillingham then too.
Skid ,
Some nice looking Pipers there, I had a Super Cruiser from
1988 till 2000, 160hp with flaps, 18 tail n trim, Cessna 206
Front seat on factory rails, very nice outfit! This is it
20171215_170201.jpg20171215_170120.jpg
My first Cub was a 90hp PA 11 Special, great little rig,
Thats me at 18 years old OMG!20171215_165730.jpg
Last but not least, my first 65" Moose, talk about being
a kid !!!!Lol20171215_170242.jpg

Thanks for sharing 35 Whelen. Congratulations. Can't wait to read your BOOK on your experiences. Please share your experiences. This is the type of things that need to be passed on.
Thanks,
Duane

Earle,

Where did the super heavy horned White Tail Buck come from? That Buck had more mass then any buck I've ever seen! Great Buck Earle!

Your all Welcome and hoped you would get a kick outta some of them, we put lots of them into the record books for so many hunters. Many great memory's. But still boils down to timing,
Cole,
That buck is from 1 1/2 miles behind my house! ( Forest Township, Me)Lol . That's common around here if they get to mature; that guy was 5 1/2 years old. Shot last day of the season , had run himself into the ground, just skin n bones! Big long deer that probably would have dressed out in the 250lb class the 1st of Oct. So a true 300lb deer on the hoof, however he actually only pulled the scales down to 218.5 lbs the end of November!

35 Whelen":2d1bdgba said:
Your all Welcome and hoped you would get a kick outta some of them, we put lots of them into the record books for so many hunters. Lots of great memory's. But still boils down to timing,
Cole,
That buck is from 1 1/2 miles behind my house! ( Forest Township, Me)Lol . That's common around here if they get to mature; that guy was 5 1/2 years old. Shot last day of the season , had run himself into the ground, just skin n bones! Big long deer that probably would have dressed out in the 250lb class the 1st of Oct. So a true 300lb deer on the hoof, however he actually only pulled the scales down to 218.5 lbs the end of November!
Here he is next to Dad, who was 6'2" tall to give you an idea how big the deer was in length.IMG_1788.JPG
I think the Buck next to it was like 175lbs.

That thing is a brute Whelen. I don't envy the weather guys like you and Dr Mike get, but man those big deer are something I'd love to lay my hands on some day. I wouldn't care if it was a 6 pt as long as it was big and mature. A really good deer here will dress at 175, a brute will occasionally go slightly over 200, but they're few and far between. There's a whole lot of bucks that dress well below the 150 mark. Biggest deer body wise I know of within 5 miles, which also happened to have impressive headgear, supposedly weighed 260 live weight.

Earle,

We used to see big deer like that in the U.P. of Michigan, the deep heavy snow and the distances the deer would travel to their winter grounds I think breed deer so tall, and heavy like that? I'd think the same in Maine too right?

Wow, great pictures of you! When I was 18 I was lucky enough to have a Marlin 336 in 30-30, and you had a float plane! Talk about getting around to the best hunting areas, that must have been so cool to experience all that..... Gives new meaning to "It's a Wonderful Life" and I don't mean the movie, but the life you've lived, and what you got to do with it!

Very Cool, it would be neat to be neighbors, but thanks for sharing! I hope you have a wonderful and Merry Christmas Earle!

I can't believe that hunter even mounted all 11 of those magnificent deer! God bless him though, and that you saved that photo! lol

Cole,
Your theory on size makes sense, and I have seen lots of pics of huge bucks from the UP in Mi. Very similar country,
To around here. I was always one to let med sized bucks go....... So learned quickly lots of times you eat track soup!
But Thats exactly how I have wound up with 17 that weighted over 200 lbs. I had to let dozens of 180lb / 8 pointers walk............. Sometimes hard to do when its last day of the season, and you love mincemeat as much as I do!
Yes having the floatplane was a rush, and not a bad rig to
Pick up chicks with !! Lol.
As for the trophy room of spikehorns, well he wanted me to know what caliber of hunter he was, and that picture certainly proved it............
The Marlin 336 was common around here in the 60's in 30/30 and lots of 35 Rems.....(Same for Rem model 81's in 35). Guys that guided for my father, swore by the 35's........
I had a lady hunter here for moose about 6 years ago, she
Had her Dads old 35 Marlin and I called an 800 lber up to
75 yds for her and she pole axed it with one shot, had to give him one more, when we got up to him, but he was down for good with the old 35 Rem.......
( I was always going to load up some 200gr Roundnose reduced to 35 R.E.M. Vels for my Whelen
And use it tracking Whitetails here in thick woods, make super brush gun . And mostly likely would transfer More shock :shock: into them than the big 250 gr bullets will, just whistling right straight thru them, From my observations the 250's from a Whelen, will easily shoot right straight thru, TWO big Whitetails bucks no problem! :shock:

Great stories; There is something about alaska. There is no inbetween you either love her or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 Whelen well the Company I fly for just sold our Bush Plane :) this summer. I use to get a couple trips a summer to Canada flying this bird. I use to fly it into a gravel strip behind the lodge what fun.
It was fun the Fishing Great and the scenery excellent.
I also have had it loaded on some great Pheasant hunts to Kansas & South Dakota.
Yes someday I have to get my float plane license.
I have always teased the wife if I ever get to Alaska I just might not come home. I’m glad I was able to do what I have done in a King Air and never scratch it or any damage.
I have a Friend who flys Business Jets and says to this day the funnest flying he ever had was flying float planes in Canada when he was younger. Keep the dirty side down.

Attachments

• 2AB6AB74-F63C-474C-A323-FBE64B53C5E8.jpeg
    2AB6AB74-F63C-474C-A323-FBE64B53C5E8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 300
1100 Remington man

Very nice looking aircraft and an excellent record. Congratulations.

I dont fly anything that nice unfortunately.

You will enjoy having your float license and if you do get to Alaska or the northern part of any of the Territories in Canada you will need it. We fly "float" and "ski" far more than we "wheel". In Nunavut, "ski" is a must. My next goal is helicopter, which I am working on.

Earle, in reference to "Alaska". As I have said before but will do again. You have been there and done that, congratulations on living such a good life---and your not done yet.

1100 Remington Man, again very nice bird, I am envious

Back