OLDer Nosler Partitition Bullets with WIDE Cannelure

Germanfan

Beginner
Apr 9, 2014
I recently picked up a cardboard box of smaller boxes of bullets at an estate sale. There were six ALL yellow boxes of Nosler bullets in .30 cal. Two were 150 grain, and four were 180 grain. The boxes were still "sealed." When I got them home and opened them, they all have the wide cannelure cut. Anybody have any experience with these? I load tons of .30 cal partitions in about ten rifles but no experience with these older bullets. I will try them, but any quick tips or comments?

I have no tips or comments about the older partitions but welcome to the forum. Some of the nicest guys and gals you'll ever come across are on here.

Like the one on the bottom of this photo?

All Nosler Partitions used to have that wide groove in them. Look closely at the bullet too, it's not extruded, but machine turned. They're good bullets, the bullet the Partition name was built on. I never got those old ones to shoot as well as the new ones do, but they were plenty accurate enough for hunting, and they do a fine job of expanding, yet retaining that base to continue penetrating.

Use them with confidence!

Regards, Guy

They are exactly like the bottom bullet depicted in the photo. Thanks for sending the picture. Also, thanks for the welcome remarks. Todd in VA.

The jackets were built on an automatic screw machine or a Swiss Automatic which is faster. Then a lead slug was first swaged into the bottom, last into the top cup, then the ogive was formed and the lead extruded and cut off. I hunted with these bullets all through the 1960's. They are not quite as accurate as the modern swaged Partition but they do the job just as they should. I hunted with them for several years. This was John's first design.

Todd,

Welcome aboard. It is always good to welcome new participants. You'll meet a select group of men and women here who enjoy one another and who enjoy the shooting sports.

Welcome to the forum Todd, glad you are here.

Those are indeed the original screw machine design. It would be very cool to load them in a 300 H&H and hunt.

JD338

Thanks for the all comments and welcoming remarks. At some point, I will load them for 300 H&H, Wthby, and Win Mag and of course '06 and see how things go. I have a few other "projects" ahead of them including some .222 work and a bunch of rimmed European cartridges that I enjoy shooting and playing with. Todd

Welcome Todd. I also own a Ruger One 9.3x74R. There is quite a bit of interest in metric cartridges on this forum.

OT 3, and I have a similar experience. They are a very good bullet, deer and elk hate them. I still have 50 or so.

Sorry, off the net for a couple of days as every time I tried to get back, the site appeared to be down for maintenance. To circle back to my intial post and to add to the metric commentary, at the same estate sale, I picked up some Barnes and RWS 9.3 bullets, 3 boxes that nobody else wanted. I also picked up three boxes of rimmed metric ammo, 8X57JR and 7X57R for the whopping combined cost of $10...again, stuff nobody else wanted. I try to load for about ten different metric calibers, but that can also be an exercise in frustration or learning. A few years back, I was reloading some RWS brass and the flash hole was too small and I broke several decapping pins. After a conversation with RCBS, they sent me a small package of smaller diameter decapping pins, free of charge. I made the switch in several dies and never broke another pin on that brass. I will visit the forum that DrMike recommended.

I would have put the 9.3 bullets to good use. RCBS is a quality operation. As you, I once had a problem with some of the older style decapping pins. A phone call to RCBS and a week later an envelope with five of the older style pins and five of the newer pins arrived in the mail. Hard to beat a company like that.

My understanding of the wide machine groove was to give the widest OAL variation And Crimping was Standard for hunting loads.

Welcome and enjoy shooting those old Noslers. Might be a neat idea to tuck a few away just to have and save, especially in the old boxes.

Remind me to bring some OLD 85 gr, 6mm Nosler Partitions with me when I come through Missoula in October! I bought 'em in the 1970's and still have about a half a box.

Guy

I still have some older PT's as well but they are at my son's in Laramie. He keeps promising to send them but has not for 4 years now.

Back