One rifle, One caliber

Not previously mentioned and if scopes were included in the topic, I have 2 scopes for my above Ruger Frontier......Mounted over the action is the Elite 4200 in a 3x9 and for other possible hunting uses, I have the Nikon Monarch UCC, 2.5x8 variable which is mounted forward of the action on the barrel, (scout scope).

I wood go for a sako 75 in 7-08rem whit a Zeizz 2-10x50 victory. I have one and love it, probably go whit me 6ft under 8)

tim knight":5xcvkmp5 said:
Dont no if this has been asked before but if you was only allowed one centrefire rifle what would it be?

What caliber?
What rifle?
What scope?

It would be 243 win, sako 75 hunter rifle and Swarovski 6-24x50
This would be a good all rounder for the hunting in england

Funny,everytime I come home with a new gun,thats what I tell my wife-

"No honey...........this is my One Gun!!
"Yes honey..........I will sell the other ones!!
"No honey...........etc,etc,etc,etc :roll: :roll:

Anyways,mine now would be a 308 in a Remington 700.2.5-8 or 3-9 Leupy scope,and a good 165gr load.This is very close to the gun I have now.I just feel that that after years of playing with all the big magnums and new wiz-bangs,the good ole .308 Win can still get it done.

Tim

Sako model 75 Stainless Synthetic in 300Win.Mag with 180gr Accubonds and Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 scope preferably with the BC reticle or the VX2 4-12x40 with LR duplex.

:grin: That's my main rifle,

My other for big game Sako m75SS or Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds and same Leupold scopes.

7mm STW!

You can load it light, or you can load it heavy!

I have taken everything from buffalo to little Pacific Northwest black tails with it. It has never disappointed me.

I would use either a 270win, 30-06, or 35whelen. Any one of these with the right bullet will and has cleanly taken countless deer, elk, moose, and with the whelen I would shoot any large bear like the brown.

Excluding the great bears I pick the 270win as my do all cartridge. For some plus 75 years it has proved to be a great do all cartridge.

300 rum sendero with a leopold lps 2.5-10 loaded with 200 gr accubonds kills everything dead real dead!

Good ol`Ruger # 1 in 270 Win, loaded with 150 gr NP.
Topped with my Swarovski 3 - 12 X 50

Not for dangerous game, but for most other game.

My favorite is ,was, the .280 Rem... 160gr Partitions will kill everything up to the Big Bears...for them I'd try to load up some 175s... many would call me arrogant or foolish...but the Natives up there have killed many with 30/30s and .35 cal lever actions.
Shot placement and steel gonads!!! :p

Northwoods Hunter

Many poeple under estamate what a 200gr 358 cal will do at 2200fps.
I said it that way because the 348win was a ausome moose and bear gun. Now the 358win with 200gr or better yet 225gr bullets surpass its proven performance. And what the 358win will do at 200 yards the 35rem will do at 100 yards. I load the 200gr CLRN at 2200 fps. And with factory loads very close to this, back in the 1960's my uncle shot two large bull moose and one 425lb black bear and countless deer.

A hunter with properly loaded 35rem is not under guned for moose, elk, or any bear weighing less than 600lbs. He only has to Known the range limltions of his gun/cartridge.

And yes I would rather use my 35whelen loaded with 250gr partitions for grizz but the 35rem is not a wimp like the 30-30 when big stuff is encounterd.

I hjave a Mod 94 .356 Winnie that shoots very accurately with 200gr flat nosed bullets. It is my tracking sidekick when guiding Bear hunters. :wink:

There is one unfailing truth in hunting. Use enough gun!! The largest, highest velocity caliber you can shoot accurately (flinch factor) the better. As said by so many experts( You can't kill any animal too much!) The high velocity adds shock factor and caliber gives you penetration. If you have both you never have to compromise by sneeking closer or trying to track farther. As JD338 eludes to with the 338RUM. ( Hit em hard and you won't have to worry about tracking) . I use a 375 RUM as main battery and 338 Rum as back up! Now that may be a bit much for what you're hunting but I think you get the idea.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back